PLight

Creating Dynamic Checkbox Names

I have a need for creating checkbox names that go through a loop and are named by concatenating the name of the field with a number that is the loop index.

<%if pDiscussed(i) <> "True" then%>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & CStr(i)  value="0" />
        <%else%>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & CStr(i)  value="1" checked />
        <%end if%></td>

I've done this before with text boxes and there are no problems but somehow with a checkbox it will not work.  I've even tried using an array (ynDiscussed[]) along with...

<input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed(" & CStr(i) & ")"  value="0" />
        <%else%>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed(" & CStr(i) & ")"  value="1" checked />
        <%end if%></td>

but it doesn't like that either.

I can't even substitute in a number instead of the CStr(i) and have it pick it up - my code reading: <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & "1"  value="0" />

Is this simply impossible or what am I missing?

Any help is very much appreciated.  Cheers!

Hello Justsomeguy

Thanks for your reply.  I'm afraid it's still not working correctly though when I change it to the following it will work...once through.  Then it fails a second time.  I realize you don't have my code so it's impossible for you to see what's happening.  Here's the current code:

<% Do While i < 2 %>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed<%=CStr(i)%>"  value="0" />
        <%else%>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & <%=CStr(i)%> checked />
        <%end if%></td>

You will notice that I changed your code a bit by adding an ampersand to the second check.  I'm still working on seeing why that would work initially but then fail.  It doesn't work if I try to change both of the checks.  I'll let you know what I find.  Thanks again!

The ampersand can only be used with the server language tags, outside it would be interpreted as just a misplaced text character.  You would have to use

<%= "ynDiscussed" & CStr(i) %>

to concatenate using that method.

Is i variable initiated to start as 0? as you will have 2 loops with 0, 1 loop if initial value = 1.

You will notice that I changed your code a bit by adding an ampersand to the second check.

Well, that's not going to work.  If i is set to 2, then you're telling it to write out this HTML:

<input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & 2 checked />

Obviously, the browser doesn't know what to do with that.  That ampersand is not valid there, and the 2 is not part of any attribute value.

On 6/4/2018 at 7:27 AM, PLight said:

I have a need for creating checkbox names that go through a loop and are named by concatenating the name of the field with a number that is the loop index.

<input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & CStr(i)  value="0" />
        <%else%>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & CStr(i)  value="1" checked />
        <%end if%></td>

I've done this before with text boxes and there are no problems but somehow with a checkbox it will not work.  I've even tried using an array (ynDiscussed[]) along with...

<input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed(" & CStr(i) & ")"  value="0" />
        <%else%>
            <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed(" & CStr(i) & ")"  value="1" checked />
        <%end if%></td>

but it doesn't like that either.

I can't even substitute in a number instead of the CStr(i) and have it pick it up - my code reading: <input type="checkbox" name="ynDiscussed" & "1"  value="0" />

Is this simply impossible or what am I missing?

Any help is very much appreciated.  Cheers!

if pDiscussed is of boolean type, you don't need quotes around the true value. 

Try checked = "checked" as well

What is stored in i variable? Is that (pDiscussed(i)) an array element?