the meaning of "%1"%*

hisoka

In these two websites :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3iMvyS7to

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db35e055-fb5a-43a0-b478-a238a69b438a/quot1quot-mean-virus?forum=w7itprogeneral

the following symbol  "%1" %*   is mentioned . What is it ? could you , please ,  explain to me what is it exactly ?

Best regards

Edited by hisoka

I didn't watch the video, but it sounds like those are placeholders for what Windows will display in a context menu when you right-click on a file.  They are placeholders for command names, program names, etc, that change depending on the file that was clicked.

In the second link the following is mentioned :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile

7.With exefileselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

8.Change the Value data: to "%1" %*

9.Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

10.With openselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

11.Change the Value data: to "%1" %*

why should a name of a command or a program , in the context menu , changed to "%1" %*  in order to avoid this error :

can’t open .exe files in Windows 7

?

I do not understand . I think you should take a look at the video , which is 2 minutes and 50 seconds , short , in order for you  to be able to answer my question .

I do not understand what do you mean by :

It's the command to run when a file is opened.  In that case, it is saying the command is the actual filename, and to pass any other arguments after that. 

Those are placeholders.  When you run file X, that is %1, it uses the actual filename.  I'm assuming that %* means every other argument.  It's just saying to run the actual file and pass whatever arguments you have to it.