Matomo Query String - Use of Hash Tags

iwato

BACKGROUND:  While I continue to struggle with my wget problem, I would like to reaffirm a discussion that we had already two or three months ago about the use of hash marks in an HTTP Request query string.  Please consider the following HTTP Request copied from a Matomo API request generated by Matomo.  I only initiated the request, I did not create it.

https://www.nudge.online/_utilities/php/matomo/index.php
	?module=CoreHome
	&action=index
	&idSite=1
	&period=day
	&date=yesterday
	#?idSite=1
		&period=day
		&date=yesterday
		&category=General_Actions
		&subcategory=Actions_SubmenuSitesearch

Is it not likely that the above request is one request riding piggy-back on another that upon arrival get split and are made into two separate requests?  If my interpretation is indeed accurate, then why make the initial request at all, as it appears to add no new information.  Why not just write and send the following:

https://www.nudge.online/_utilities/php/matomo/index.php
	?module=CoreHome
	&action=index
	&idSite=1
    &period=day
    &date=yesterday
    &category=General_Actions
    &subcategory=Actions_SubmenuSitesearch

Any ideas?

Roddy

ps:  I know it seems silly to have to post these questions at W3Schools, but this reflects the  desert of support that Matomo offers while making its software free to the general public.  Although it is surely true that beggars should not be choosers, how can one possibly expect to promote one's software without providing even the most minimal  support needed to make it work!

If you really are putting each part of the URL on one line, that needs to be fixed. You cannot have line breaks in a URL.

Judging by the format of the URL, my guess is that they built Matomo so that when Javascript is available it will treat the hash the same as the query string, you should actually copy all hash data that isn't in the query string into the query string, then remove the hash.

The downside of free software is that the person making the software has no financial incentive to take the time to support their users, but I would infer that the reason the Matomo developers are not being very helpful is that you're using their software in a way that it was never intended to be used.

I was going to suggest that the URL isn't valid, but according to RFC3986, it looks like it is.  The fragment portion is any sequence of pchar, plus a slash or question mark.  The grammar for a pchar is unreserved, pct-encoded, sub-delims, ":", and "@".  The sub-delims grammar includes both "&" and "=".