Sign in to follow this  
PHPremote

need overall algorithm or sequence for login test using sessions

I need an overall algorithm or sequence for login test using sessions. I am all turned around. I had to make up my own flowchart on paper.

To access the username, for example, once the user is already logged in, I put a session_start() at the beginning of the site header script, called from within a page like "search.php". But to log in or out, I need to access it before that. I think I need to put session_start() at the beginning of each individual page.

Passing variables like SESSION['validlogin'] seems to be haphazard, but I think that is a logic error somewhere.

I was trying to make it really elegant before, with a single redirection script once logged in, but that was not working. So, back to basics.

I think I need to put session_start() at the beginning of each individual page.

You do.  It's common to have one or more files that every other file will include, files that do things like set up a database connection, define variables or functions that might be used on any page, and start the session.