Server sent charset unknown

ShadowMage

I'm trying to configure a new web server to migrate the company intranet, but I'm getting the following error:

Server sent charset (255) unknown to the client. Please, report to the developers

I did a little googling and it is supposedly a PHP bug that was fixed in version 7.0-ish.  I am running MySQL 8.0.15 with PHP 7.3.3 (on Win Server 2019, if that matters) and still getting this error.  I tried setting the character_set_server to 'UTF8MB4' but that didn't seem to do anything.

Please help.

I did that, I think.  That's what I meant by setting the character_set_server.  I launched the MySQL command line and ran the following:

set global character_set_server = 'UTF8MB4';

It gave me a warning if I set it to just 'UTF8'.  Something about being ambiguous with UTF8MB3?

Should I be setting this somewhere else?

Got a new problem now.  I'm trying to connect to a Progress DB using OpenEdge 10.2A and getting this error:

The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

Clearly its complaining about the fact that I'm running 64-bit PHP and trying to use a 32-bit driver (that's the only driver available).  I've enabled 32-bit applications in the app pool on IIS but it's still giving this error.  Any ideas?

If you're required to use Progress, it looks like you may need to use an older version of PHP.  I would contact them and try to find out what their plans are for support.  If it's difficult to get in touch, I wouldn't use them.

Unfortunately, i am required to use Progress...  I am in touch with Epicor to try to get drivers, otherwise I will revert PHP to an older version.  Luckily, Epicor 10 (which we are planning to upgrade to this fall) has moved away from Progress and adopted MySQL so I won't have to deal with this anymore after that. :)

Thanks for your help!