Creating a Complex Form - What's the Best Language(s)

theClerk

I'm tasked by my employer to turn a complex Excel document into a web-based form that must output as a clean, customer-facing PDF document as the final end result. This document must be used for different jobs, so employees currently save a copy on their computers and fill it out, giving it a different file name. My current thought is HTML + JavaScript will do the trick. The form must do the following.

1. Summarize inputted numbers from input fields throughout the document so the numbers can be summarized on a single summary page.  (see attached image.)

How this currently works with the Excel doc:

• We have 4 summary pages and over 30 input field pages
  • Plain numbers are entered in the input field pages
  • The 4 summary pages use the Excel addition formula to add up the numbers from each input field on the input page, corresponding to what each summary page is summarizing
  1. Inputted data must have ability to be saved any time, so user can return to it and finish filling it out whenever.
  2. Output as a presentable, client-facing PDF

Everything else, like the ability to rename the header and with each use of the document is something I believe can be done so long as the document is saved offline by users.

What summary pages do.png

I'm building something vaguely similar with React, if you've worked with that before then that might be a good option.  Depending on what your skill set is, you can probably think of other ways to do it.  If you have specific questions that you need help with then feel free to ask.

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2019 at 12:49 PM, justsomeguy said:

I'm building something vaguely similar with React, if you've worked with that before then that might be a good option.  Depending on what your skill set is, you can probably think of other ways to do it.  If you have specific questions that you need help with then feel free to ask.

Thank you, JustSomeGuy. Sorry for the late reply. I'll check out React and get back to you with any questions I have.