Variables not functioning as expected

Ramey

I took a Python coding course in college. Basic level, it taught me how to code short, basic programs.
This was six months ago.
I recently tried to pick coding back up, and decided my first project; a dice game I had an idea for a while back, as a computer program.
Problem: I've apparently forgotten how to do just about everything, because I can't even figure out why Pyzo (my program of choice for writing in Python) is throwing an error. All I want to do on the line in question is set a variable to 1. That's all. I've tried changing the variable name, tried putting it in all forms of quotation marks that I could think of. I even tried double equal signs.
But:
"dice1 = 1"
is absolutely against the law, and I can not understand why. I've tried google search. I've tried Youtube for basic learning videos on Python. I tried everywhere I could think of on w3schools. I even tried StackOverflow, but they're very professional, like actual software developers, and that... intimidates me. I'm simply trying to pick this back up as a hobby.

I just tested this in the python compiler, below is valid python code.

dice1 = 123
print(dice1)

Outputs: 123

Is there a particular error which is showing up? Any other code you could provide?