Arbu

Removing all tags of a certain type.

I want to remove all the timestamp tags from the "My Places" file that Google Earth provides. This file is an xml file and is on my hard drive. The stamps look like "<gx:TimeStamp><when>2014-06-08T00:12:24Z</when></gx:TimeStamp>".There are 4,000 such tags, so doing it manually one by one is not an option. I can't see how I would do a search and replace on the file because that would  not remove the data in the middle.

So it seems I need to use XML Dom. I've been reading through the tutorials on W3Schools. Somehow I need to open the My Places file with the XMLHttpRequest object. How do I do that?

Thanks.

You can use a search and replace with a regular expression, several text editors offer that.

Somehow I need to open the My Places file with the XMLHttpRequest object. How do I do that?

You can make a web page and send an ajax request for the file, but Javascript isn't going to be able to save a file on your computer.