Abbreviated If-Else Statements

iwato

CHALLENGE (WELL, KIND OF):  Please find below two sets of code.  The first is a short-hand snippet of code fits that within a larger block of code.  The second is my own long-hand interpretation of what it means.

SHORT-HAND:

$str_browser_language = !empty($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE']) ? strtok(strip_tags($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE']), ',') : '';
$str_browser_language = !empty($_GET['language']) ? $_GET['language'] : $str_browser_language;

LONG-HAND:

if (!empty($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'])) {
    $str_browser_language = strtok(strip_tags($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE']), ',');
} else {
    if (!empty($_GET['language'])) {
        $str_browser_language = $_GET['language'];
    } else {
        $str_browser_language = '';
    }
}

QUESTION:  Is my interpretation correct?  If not, please explain, in what manner I have erred.

Roddy

No, that is incorrect. Each line is its own set of conditions completely independent from the other line of code. It is equivalent to the following code:

if(!empty($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'])) {
  $str_browser_language = strtok(strip_tags($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE']), ',');
} else {
}

if(!empty($_GET['language'])) {
} else {
  $str_browser_language = $str_browser_language;
}

• Like 1

OK.  But, would you not agree that both longhand interpretations produce the same result?

Also, how did you get to

and

$str_browser_language = $str_browser_language;

Roddy

You need to understand how the conditional works.

In the statement X = C ? A : B , X is either equal to A or equal to B based on whether C is true or not. In other words: if(C) X=A else X=B

• Thanks 1

Got it!  Thanks.

But, you did not answer my first question in the last entry.  Is the result not the same?

Roddy

No, they don't produce the same result because in your code you're skipping over some comparisons that have to be made.

Regardless of whether $_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'] was tested or not, you have to test $_GET['language'] in order for the statements to be equivalent.

• Like 1

The shortest equivalent code you can make without conditionals would look like this:

if(!empty($_GET['language'])) {
} else if(!empty($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'])) {
}

• Thanks 1

Yes, I see.  A visitor may wish to view the page in a language different from that of his own browser.  Is this what you mean?

Roddy