Jump to content
phrankenstign

Problem with Collapsible Elements

Recommended Posts

I've had a collapsible menu on my home page for over a year now.  For some unknown reason, the menu doesn't collapse and expand for me anymore.  At first, I thought I'd accidentally changed the code in my html files.  However, I couldn't detect any differences.  So....I decided to check the WC3 examples.  It was then that I noticed the examples weren't collapsing/expanding for me either.  That made me think there must be something in my configuration on my PC that caused my problem.  Does anyone know what could have caused my system to have this problem?  Everthing else appears to work properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a little more research, since I hadn't gotten any replies to my original post.  The computer I use has Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.805) operating system installed.  I tried using both Firefox Version 70.0 (64-bit) and Edge Microsoft Edge 44.17763.771.0 Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.17763.  I thought there was something wrong with my computer's configuration, so I decided to test the collapsing menu capability on other systems.  If it worked, then that surely proved there was something wrong with my system.

I used the browser on my smart tv made by LG.  I tried using the collapsible menu on my home page and in the W3C example here:

https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/tryit.asp?filename=trybs_collapsible2&stacked=h

It didn't work.

I also had my son try both my menu and the W3C menu above using the Chrome web browser on his computer and the browser on his iPhone XS.  Neither of the collapsible menus worked!

I find it difficult to believe they don't work on all of the systems I tested.  If each browser has different code interpreting the HTML code, how could all of them break?  My computer is using a windows operating system, yet my son's iPhone isn't.  How can the collapsing capability stop working on all of those different combinations of operating systems and browsers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open the browser go to page and then clear/history, then  open chromeop press F12 to open web development tools, look for console tab press ctrl F5, and see if any errors appear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you VERY much, Mr. dsoneuk!!!

Awhile back, my son set up an ad  blocker on a dedicated PC.  It's done a great job eliminating a lot of ads in the background before they are able to get to any of our devices.  Unfortunately, it sometimes blocks sites it THINKS we don't want.  For those, we have to manually add them to a white list.  It appears the collapsible function needed to access a site the ad blocker had blocked.  Once I added it to the white list, the problem went away.  The w3school example and my web-site menu now are able to work as designed.

I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what had gone wrong.  Your suggestion pointed me right to it!  (I'd never used the web development tools before.)

Thanks again!!!

Tony

Edited by phrankenstign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...