Hosting your own website,

Splurd

take a look at my title.You just go to "My Controls" -> "Edit Personal Info" ...if you do not have that option that means you do not have enough posts. I can't remember when I noticed that I could change it? 500 posts maybe?

Running your own server requires a static ip address which you do not get with residential internet service. Also you should have high speed internet if you are going to host.
I have a static IP address. (which irks me to no end) And the speed here is not an issue, My main goal is to get a website up and running, with as little cost as possible. (aka no cost)Didnt think my humble thread would generate a heated discussion about hosting and servers and uh, drinking habbits. ;p But to be truthful I dont think I will be in need of such a secure system.I knew of a guy who set up his webpage from his home pc, using windows and using ISS. Thats kinda what I am aiming for. Though I would consider getting a hosting service because its more efficent, I still am curious as to how to host on a home pc.

I knew of a guy who set up his webpage from his home pc, using windows and using ISS.
Holy crap, he used the International Space Station to host his site? Most people just settle for Internet Information Services.The basics of hosting are:1) obviously to install the server, IIS will probably be easiest for you to set up and configure. If not installed, you can do it through Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, and click on Add/Remove Windows Components in the add/remove box. You will probably want to use Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro, or Windows Server 2003 for this, preferably XP or 2003. They have the best versions of IIS on them. If you're having problems with installing IIS, you can do a Google search on how to install and set up IIS. IIS includes ASP, you can install PHP also if you want to use it, or you can also use neither and go with static HTML. Once IIS is installed go ahead and test it to make sure it's working. From the server itself, you can type http://localhost/ into the address bar to access it, or you can also use the loopback IP 127.0.0.1. You can also access it by computer name from anywhere on your local network. If your computer is called bigpimp (like mine is), then you can type http://bigpimp/ to access it.2) you need to configure your router to direct web requests to the server. This will depend on what router you have obviously, but it will involve something called port forwarding. You will need to forward at least port 80 (HTTP), and you may want to forward port 21 (FTP) or port 443 (HTTPS), but they are not necessary for http to work. If your router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses, your web server will need to use a static internal IP from the router, and you will need to forward all requests on the necessary ports to that IP. The internal DHCP IP is not the same as the IP you see when you visit whatismyip.com (the IP you get from your ISP). The internal IP will be something along the lines of 192.168.1.2, and will only be accessible from inside your local network (the network that the router handles). If you have problems there, you can do a Google search for port forwarding for your specific router. You can also put your server in the router's DMZ, but that should be a last resort because it's a lot less secure. Ideally your router will only allow traffic through on port 80.That should be all that is necessary to access your server by IP address from the outside. The request will go to your router, and the router will forward the request to your server. If you want to use a domain name (which you probably do), you will need to set up the DNS server for the domain name to point to your IP. I use http://000domains.com/ for this, I registered my domains with them and I can log in and point my domains to any IP address I want, assuming that I can remember my password.Once all that is done, you should be able to access your server at home by a domain name, and you can start to build the site (if you haven't already).This post meets the recommended minimum use of computer industry acronyms.