Reputation system

Jack McKalling

You must remember that they run a company almost. There are HUNDREDS of pages that this side needs updated every day. If only one of us could actually do that job for a day--we'd probably all understand that even 10-20 minutes is too much time. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*pinks a tear* beautifully spoken :) But.. would it help? :)
Thanks! :)You know I can't decide that for myself, this whole community will be the judge of that, if not, then atleast the admin. However, personally, I feel it will suite these forums quite well. There are a lot of "if's" and "but's" about doing this, but I really believe more good will come out of this then bad... we may never know until we try it out though, that's a 100% sure bet. :blink:

The forum was set up as a resource for the users of w3schools. Although there are lots of features we may want, there are no features we desperately need the way I see it, and so it's not that hard to justify kaijim using his time on what he's paid to do rather than cater to our every little need. He's busy writing tutorials, that's what his job description is (plus the refsnes' provide web solutions for businesses, which is even more important, as there is a paying client involved). There's no talk of "they" really, as it was kaijim who persuaded the rest of Refsnes Data to even set up this forum. Just please be content knowing that if there's anything critical, and he is needed here, he will be here. The rest can surely wait. Is that unreasonable..?
I agree with you Jonas, the forum is perfect as it is, why do we need a skin to make it look like the main website? Or any of the other small details, they are just small needs that really don't need changing. If KaiJim had loads of spare time and was so critical about details I'm sure he'd get to it but... seeing as the forums works and has mod's and is active, why should he care? We're just fine like this after all.But concerning the voting system, it would be a bit of a problem implementing it, although if we came up with a mod all ready and just gave it to him, shouldn't be much of a problem installing it, but even so... as you said, I don't think someone would be up to the challenge to start with.Concerning the ranking system (rep-system), check out Experts Exchange, it has a system based on ranking and reputation, the more questions you answer, the further you go up in the ladder, and the people getting answered choose who helped him best with the answer, and who assisted, etc. The users that answer most questions get points to ask more questions, if you only ask, your points get finished and you can't ask until you answer to more. Mod's only clean up the forums and inactive threads basically.- It's quite a good system, but it's not as open as this one is... each one has it's advantages and disadvantages I guess... Ranking system seems like a good idea, but at the same time it's too complex to implement, and mods and admins don't have time so...In summary: We're alright as we are,so pretty much I just finished writing a complicated pointless post, just for the sake of it I guess. - miffe

Having to answer questions in order to earn the right to ask questions sounds ridiculous. It undermines the whole point of this forum, which is for people to learn from each other. How are you supposed to answer questions about stuff, when you may not know the answer because you haven't been allowed to ask it yet? Good thing we don't have that system.We mods have time, but we don't have the power to implement stuff like that. However, we don't want that power either.

Having to answer questions in order to earn the right to ask questions sounds ridiculous. It undermines the whole point of this forum, which is for people to learn from each other. How are you supposed to answer questions about stuff, when you may not know the answer because you haven't been allowed to ask it yet? Good thing we don't have that system.We mods have time, but we don't have the power to implement stuff like that. However, we don't want that power either.
Then I don't understand this post, but that may be just me.You and other mods keep declining this reputation system, why not closing then? I wouldn't care, do if you must. Or do you want to stay it open to let admins decide to add this or not?

Dan, let it go, just because you don't want to continue in a conversion doesn't mean it should be closed. Please stop telling us how to moderate.This has been discussed...Kajim has read it and he will decide...there is no need to keep talking about it.

I could just say "don't press me", or "just trust my decision", or as aspnetguy excellently put it: "Please stop telling us how to moderate", but sure, I'll give an explanation why:If I lock this up, and the question/suggestion of a reputation system comes up from someone else at a later time (which it very well may), I won't be able to refer them to this thread and ask why they didn't post here, because it was locked. When referring them to this thread, I'll lock their thread, as it's easier to keep all points of a discussion in one thread, and easier to comment on them in the same thread, and so again I'll have to open this one. And so locking this thread will have been pointless, and in fact have just created the need to make a new thread in its place. Does that make sense?This logic goes for all threads that stay open despite seemingly "having found a solution". If questions are raised, or the solution is to be more thoroughly gone into, it's difficult with the thread in question being locked.-MODERATING101-Now, let the matter drop.