Reputation system

Jack McKalling

I don't understand all these negative reactions. :)The reputation system I have in mind is not meant to support spamming, but support the coders or something.If the text either is "Karma is 123" or "This person has the best sollutions ever, namely 123 and counting!" or just "Reputation: 123" doesn't matter, the person who installes the mod, an admin, he would be able to just modify that unmeaning text to whatever is suitable, wouldn't he?If this reputation system gets to causing spam, which it is never build for, it can always be modified to show less attractive text/images. It is just about logging how much a person has received good or bad wills, just like a warning system does privatly. Why would this system cause increased spamming?Wouldn't it just be nice when people can see how popular they are by their clients :)?Or is it only the satisfaction that is important after helping someone, is that it?I hoped this could have been a good idea, but I was unfortunate.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a poll on a Reputation system members have though about adding. This poll should show the support or non-support of this system.This system will allow other members to reward you for making a good post. It is also posible for members to dock you points for making a bad post (spam or what not).There are also more Yes answers if you require this Reputation system to be setup in a selected way. If you answer is not up there, please pick the closest one and then make a post as to what you would like to see.General -- means it will show a rating by a bar and groups your rank to the nearest bar length. Like 0-50 get one bar, 51-100 get 2 bars... not showing a true number like: Karma is 43only positive points -- members can only add to reputation!says who gave you it -- so you know who is giving you this reputatiion... If there is negative points maybe someone just hates you, not because you made a bad post.you have to give a reason -- you need to backup why you are giving out this reputation

Dan says to other Dan: thanks for posting the poll, I wasn't able to add one to my topic, unfortunately.link: http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6483I vote for "Doesn't matter", I don't really bother if my idea gets rejected, but it would be nice if it gets accepted.

There is no way that it can increase spamming as it is not build on post count. It is users giving reputation to users. There is even a feature that restricts reputation/day and minimum post count for giving reputation.
reputation per day sounds good, or posts to reputation you can give.but minimuum posts is a bad idea... what if you just came to this forum and had a hard question you've been working months on and some one here answers it for you... you would want to hand out reputation right then and now.

I merged the two topics, and in the process, the poll got lost, sorry. Dan, try to edit the first post in this thread, then see if there's a link to "manage poll options" or something similar. If not, contact one of the mods with the poll options for one of us to restore it. Thanks.

To get one thing straight: the reputation system allows only points to be added to a certain user (with or without negative points), by any other user at all. In conjunction with the point, a comment can be added (with or without forcement). The points with comments can be viewed by anyone, but only other members can add them, where mods and admins can remove them too. There can be a link to the userlist with reputations listed at the userlinks bar, and the ammount of points is viewed at the miniprofile (full profile I am not sure), from which can be added, removed or viewed.The system doesn't at all rely on any post count or any other board counts, it is only and only affected by the members who feel in the mood for thanking. :)

I don't like the idea but I am sure everyone would expect that from me. Anything that promotes or suggests anyone person is more helpful than the other just segregates our own little community. It just brings attention to something that shouldn't matter in an environment that is based on voluntary assistance.If you need to be rewarded for your contribution outside of the satisfaction it gives you and others, then I'd argue this is not the place for you.But, like I said, you would expect that type of answer from me.:)

Like I said, I don't remember the different poll options, so if you'd care to make up new ones with the question, write them in a regular reply post here, then afterwards [ ! Report ] that particular post asking for the poll to be added. All the mods get reports in their PM inbox. Then whichever mod gets to the PM first is taken directly to the post you made with the different answers, can make the poll and proceed to deleting your then unecessary post. Capiche?

despite this ever growing debate on whether we should or not really doesn't matter. I wouls bet my last dime that the admins will not take the timeto install such a module for the reason Skemcin mentioned and they have very little time for forum maintenence as it is.

Aspnetguy is correct, Skemcin is correct, Jonas is correct, Dan is correct, and everyone else is too.It can be both a bad idea and a good idea, like all suggestions.But Dan, you're thinking about using this the wrong way. Rewards would mean nothing. I think anyone who has been answered correctly by a person can raise that person's reputation NOT so that the person can get a reward, but so that other people can see how reputable and well-informed this person can be. But Skemcin has a point---ranking systems on forums are usually bad ideas past moderator, member, and adminstrator.I don't know what to say, but that's what I think.Choco

Yeah Chocolate, probable it would mean nothing, but rewards were only an example, couldn't think of something else. I hadn't thought about it concerning spam, I just thought it would be nice. If it won't be installed for whatever reason, then so be it. I don't bother, its just an idea.

despite this ever growing debate on whether we should or not really doesn't matter. I wouls bet my last dime that the admins will not take the timeto install such a module for the reason Skemcin mentioned and they have very little time for forum maintenence as it is.
I realize the admins are busy, but considering the popularity of this forum, is there any way to give an existing mod or a new mod admin privelages? I know not through the forum, but can the admins add someone else to the invisionzone account to put a little more control over this place in the hands of the people who are actively using it? It's good that they took the time to set up a forum in the first place, but a little more responsiveness would be preferred.

Well, there is no point giving one of us mods adminstrator privelages---if anything important needs to be done, we can contact Kaijim and ask him to do it. But usually, nothing like that springs up. If we ge a skin made, i can guarantee it'll be installed within the next 2-3 days. Admins are busy with running the W3S site, so their responsiveness is not really in their hands, judging by the amount of work they have updating and maintaining such a huge resource.

I do not think giving any current mod or mods admin control is a good thing to consider. The board is theirs - point blank - and there is nothing more to it. If anyone other person(s) were to be given control then direction of the board, how it looks, and how it functions could possibly take a turn that wouldn't be appealing to many people. The important thing is the substance - that is what makes the forum what it is - not a flashy interface or reputation system.I understand that the look-n-feel may not be so attractive but the important thing to remember is that the more you go away from the baseline product the more you have to fix (and remember to fix) when something (like an upgrade or hack) occurs.One of the first recommendations I ALWAYS make to clients that want a board is to consider not skinning it. Updates are always a breeze to handle and never have issues. I don't press it hard since I get more work out of creating a skin and then making sure it is easy to deal with when upgrades come along - but that is beside the point.Skinning is fine as long as it doesn't reengineer functionality or introduce new navigation. New functionaliy is not a something I think we need to consider unless there is a hard and true purpose for it - not just a cool bell-n-whistle that folks end up only liking for three weeks.As for mods with admin rights - again - NO is my vote. I do not want to see anyone of us faced with the influx of demands that would surely ensue once we "have the power". I can easily see all the "now that you can do it, can you do this please" and all the posts will be polls about what to do and what not to do. So I say lets just focus on what we are here for.

I agree about the mods with admin rights...completely not necessary.As for skinning...it depends on what a person means when they say install a skin. If you are just changing values in the stylesheet then you will not have issues when upgrading but if you are altering templates and other files then that is asking for trouble.

I think a new skin could be nice if it went more along with the established w3schools colours (red, shades of gray, black and white). Regarding this thread:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6598I think the skin called IPB_Evolution is a prime example of how NOT to skin a forum. It may look flashy and cool at first, but will quickly become an eyesore. It may be fit for private forums, maybe gaming forums, but I would not for a moment consider it for forum trying to look professional and belonging to such a big site as w3schools.com.As for getting admin priveleges, I don't think I could bear the pressure from members wanting this and that. Some people suggest things on a whim without thinking it through, things that probably wouldn't be as welcome after a month of it. I think kaijim can be glad that he has a lot of other things to occupy his time. If he was assigned to this forum alone, there would probably, like skemcin said, be polls for him to do this and that. Luckily with him gone people realize polling for this and that won't change anything.

When I suggested that, I was specifically thinking of the 5 or 6 days that were required to get the forum restored once it had been hacked. If you guys don't want to deal with the requests that's fine, but it would be nice if someone with the necessary control could make changes that need to be made quickly. That was my thought when I suggested that.