Reputation system

Jack McKalling

Well, as it so happened, kaijim was on a vacation at the time, coincidentally the week we were hacked. He didn't wait a week to restore the forum on purpose you know. So that could just as well have happened to one of us, had we had the necessary authority.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's ok, justsomeguy. If you like arguing, you're in the right place. What do you think a forum is for? :)Besides the hacking incident, I can't recall any other times where, when we desperatley needed kaijim, he hasn't turned up. All these other things are pretty trivial.

I fully agree with Skemcin, if one of the mods should be a backup admin besides that we decide not to do that, he would be that one, with all his whisdom, lol :) He is right, we must stick to what this forum is meant for, development. Skin changes I neither mean with to alter the page templates, but only position/placement, borders and colours etc. No changes like div.mainpage {} into span.mainpageholder {} or something. :)It is a good idea to recreate the look and feel of the site itself, the forum would more fit to the site like being a part of it instead of additional functionality of the site.

I also agree with the backup admin.. maybe they could have like a button or topic or something a moderator could active and people could click on the button, or vote in the topic, and once the button has been clicked X times by unique people in a day, or the poll reaches X% is make mods backup admins they automatically become backup admins for say a week or two.. that way they can take action to whatever has happened.

I also agree with the backup admin.. maybe they could have like a button or topic or something a moderator could active and people could click on the button, or vote in the topic, and once the button has been clicked X times by unique people in a day, or the poll reaches X% is make mods backup admins they automatically become backup admins for say a week or two.. that way they can take action to whatever has happened.
Yeah, the only problem is there's no way of doing that, unless there is someone here very knowledgeable in PHP and IPB that could write a module..?I doubt it.

And if they do write the module (BIG IF) then an admin would have to come install it---instead of installing the module, why not just ask the admin to do it?

Well, I doubt it would be that hard.. Might take like a week, and the admins probably wouldnt mind doing it. There are a few issues with it, they could be sorted out though im sure. The admins are barely on though. I would expect that they could at least get on for like 10 minutes a day, its not like thats hard.. I think they just dont give a crap about the forum.

The forum was set up as a resource for the users of w3schools. Although there are lots of features we may want, there are no features we desperately need the way I see it, and so it's not that hard to justify kaijim using his time on what he's paid to do rather than cater to our every little need. He's busy writing tutorials, that's what his job description is (plus the refsnes' provide web solutions for businesses, which is even more important, as there is a paying client involved). There's no talk of "they" really, as it was kaijim who persuaded the rest of Refsnes Data to even set up this forum. Just please be content knowing that if there's anything critical, and he is needed here, he will be here. The rest can surely wait. Is that unreasonable..?

Not for me Jonas :) I respect the admin for his absence, he has his reasons. If you say a reputations system or whatever is not good or whatever not to be considered, I believe you and won't ask any more about it. :)

I'm not saying a reputations system will not be considered, because frankly it's not my call. I'm telling you my views on the matter, whether I would think it to help or harm the community. But you can read my views on the matter here. I could embellish that post, but I'm sure you get the idea.What I am saying, however, is that whatever the suggestion, it won't happen this very instance, and there's no changing that, so unless there are some very good arguments yet to be mentioned, there's no need to get angry or impatient and demand things to happen, because as with most of the feature suggestions here, they could be nice to have implemented, but they're not crucial to your further enjoyment and gain from being a part of this forum.There's nothing wrong with good arguments, that's how you convince people, but not letting a matter drop once all the cards are on the table is quite another thing, and will be reacted to accordingly.

Aarg, I understand! :)You don't have to go that deep in explaining, I know. I am neutral in adding a reputation system or any system for that matter, I don't bother (don't get angry) if it will not be done. As you say, it could be nice, but its not necessary. I know the admins are very busy, and because almost all mods don't like this system, the subject is closed for me :)You moderators represent the opinion of the admins, at least thats what I think, so if you don't like it, don't make such a deal of it :) No installation, no hassle, no hard feelings. :blink:And if you mean even you don't like it but the admins might, and that we should wait untill they decide to still install it, then yeah, it would be nice. But I don't force anyone to it.

I don't think anyone outright said it was a bad idea...they ju st raised some possible problems it might cause.But regardless, I don't think Kajim will feel it is a high enough priority to persue the idea.

Aarg, I understand! :)You don't have to go that deep in explaining, I know. I am neutral in adding a reputation system or any system for that matter, I don't bother (don't get angry) if it will not be done. As you say, it could be nice, but its not necessary. I know the admins are very busy, and because almost all mods don't like this system, the subject is closed for me :)You moderators represent the opinion of the admins, at least thats what I think, so if you don't like it, don't make such a deal of it :) No installation, no hassle, no hard feelings. :blink:And if you mean even you don't like it but the admins might, and that we should wait untill they decide to still install it, then yeah, it would be nice. But I don't force anyone to it.
I'm not making a big deal of it, on the contrary I'm telling everyone not to make a big deal of it. I'm not angry, and there are no hard feelings, really. :blink: I'm merely explaining rationally how the situation is, and that there's no need for comments such as for example the finishing touch of reportingsjr's last post, because the fact of the matter is that kaijim is busy, very busy as you say, and so it will have to wait whether we like it or not.And thanks for the confidence that we're an extension of the admins. We only have the forum's best interest at heart. :blink:

It seems now as though we arent going to get it..
No one said that. It just doesn't help pushing the matter with heated comments.

Or some new arguments are thrown on the table.And that goes for any topic with a lack of discussion really. Posting just for posting's sake is pointless.

I know I'm kinda late in this dicussion. I think it's a good idea to do for the reasons that Dan said (In the begining). Do we really need it? No. Would it be nice to have? Yes. Skemin is right in my opinion about one thing, the adminstrators don't have to do anything they don't want to do, however seening as we are so-to-speak their customers, they should at least take a moment to comment on what we (the customers) want. Do I mean him to acutally act on what we want? No, but atleast acknoweldge what's happening.It was nice of them to install a forum and all, but what good is a forum if the main person that's the administrator doesn't even know what's happening half the time on his own forum? Yes, I do know they (the admins) have their busy little noses typing up other content for their site. That's why they have to put someone else in charge of this forum (and I'm NOT saying me!) a person that's a little more active in this community. Don't get me wrong Kajim is doing a good job now. But we really need a voice to speak for them (w3schools) sometimes around here to get a message across, otherwise it's just opinions vs. opinions with no real anwsers.Also people, please stop judging Kajim on what he would think he would want or not, I'm pretty sure that he can speak for himself... we have enough Kajim supporters in the house :)