user data in HTML

Kennys

Hi,I'm building an (X)HTML application which uses a lot of JavaScript.One of the things I want to do is to shown/hide specific <tr> elements using JavaScript. How to do that is not the problem.But to decide which rows to show I need some attribute in the <tr> element.I've figured out 2 idea's, both not very ideal I think:1)<table> <tr id="a">...</tr> <tr id="a">...</tr> <tr id="b">...</tr> ...</table>Now hide all <tr>s with id="a" (for example).Note: id's are not unique now (and not intended for this purpose?).2)<table> <tr><!-- id="a" -->...</tr> <tr><!-- id="a" -->...</tr> <tr><!-- id="b" -->...</tr> ...</table>In JavaScript I can reach the comment via innerHTML to decide whether to show the <tr> or not.Which method is the "prefered" one? Is there a better way?Martijn

Put the value of document.getElementByTagName("tr") in a variable called x(or anything that you fancy. :)) Then do a for loop that checks until i is equal to x. In that for loop, do getElementByTagName("tr").innerhtml and check it if it's equal to what you want. Is that what you want?

Put the value of document.getElementByTagName("tr") in a variable called x(or anything that you fancy. :)) Then do a for loop that checks until i is equal to x. In that for loop, do getElementByTagName("tr").innerhtml and check it if it's equal to what you want. Is that what you want?

Not really I think. This is basically my 2nd solution.Based on some criterion I want to show 0, 1, or some of the <tr>s.The criterion is something which should not show on the screen, but is part of the <tr>.In my 2nd solution I indeed do use innerHTML to get the string"<!-- id="a" -->...."Then I extract with some substring-guru-stuff the "a" or "b" to decide whether to show or hide the <tr>. But this depends on the exact layout of the comment.What I want to do is something like:<table><tr userdata="a">...</tr><tr userdata="a">...</tr><tr userdata="b">...</tr>...</table>But thats not HTML :( The nearest to that is using the id attribute, see solution 1).But that's (I think) mis-using the id attribute.So I wonder if there's a general way to add some user-defined attribute to an element (any element, not just <tr>, btw) that does not influence HTML in any way, but that can be extracted in JavaScript using the DOM...The Dutch word 'dom' means 'stupid', btw :) Thanks for bearing with me....Martijn

to my knowledge, there are no user defined attributes in XHTML. But "id" is a standard attribute for any tag - so I do not see why that would be a problem using it. So I would say that method (1) is the way to go.<tr> tag details:http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_tr.asp