W3S Forum Project: Discussion

Chocolate570

That's a point. But you also must remember there's bug testing to do in that time, and it's not like everyone will be work 24/7 on this project---the probable amount of man hours you'd get is around ~50-60. Also, I was thinking making a complete CMS or something like that, but breaking it up into sub projects, one after another. For example, the first project session, we'll make a complex guestbook. Next, we'll make a news system. Then we'll make something else, like a calendar/time system. Then we'll make an admin panel and put it together. What do you all think?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you split up a guestbook into multiple teams? It seems like more hassle then it would be worth to try and integrate multiple submissions for a project as small as that. The only parts required are the page to view the guestbook, a page to administer the settings for it or delete or edit posts, and the page to make a new post. It would take a lot of coordination to get three independent teams working on those three pages and still have them work with each other.

You'd be surprised---we were discussing making the guestbook the whole project. And not if we use server side classes included onto the page, along with linked JS files. Then everyone can only use the includes to run their specific page.And also, guestbooks can be pretty complex, as the rest of the mods explained. You could have AJAX adding, drag and drop boxes, swear filters, searches, cool fading effects, using ajax to have to never change the page that you're on, just include it in...there's lots of stuff you can do.

You'd be surprised---we were discussing making the guestbook the whole project. And not if we use server side classes included onto the page, along with linked JS files. Then everyone can only use the includes to run their specific page.And also, guestbooks can be pretty complex, as the rest of the mods explained. You could have AJAX adding, drag and drop boxes, swear filters, searches, cool fading effects, using ajax to have to never change the page that you're on, just include it in...there's lots of stuff you can do.
I dont see the point in making a guest book more complicated than it needs to be. i could see using ajax to update the page so you dont have to change what page you are on but otherwise i dont think you really need things like a search. a message board is usually one long thread where people say hi, I like your site and some other nice things and a few people ask some questions like how did you do this but its not like a forum where you should search for it. (i suppose other people's opinion on that would differ) a swear word / spam filter can easily be done i added one to my message board in under 2 hours. i dont understand what the drag and drop boxes are. is that like for formating your text like you drag a bold tag over a word or something? I am sort of also against js. just because some people block it (i wish they wouldnt). i can see using it in places where the user could get along without it. like in this reply box. i can type in BBC code insted of clicking on the link to get it.EDIT: lol that was like a doubble post but it was all in the same post. (everything was in there twice) sorry i will try not to let the forum have an error again lol

Alot of AJAX sites are letting the users drag content boxes around to format the page the way they want and then save their preferences. It is a nice feature although alot of work and maybe not so practical for something like a guestbook.Overall the point of this project is to, yes, produce a working usable product but it is also to learn and understand the processes of a real life project and how to cordinate between team members.

I wrote (almost finish :)) a blog software package, it wasn't that bad...the only thing I actually had to think about was getting the posts to show up in the archives properly.that is a good idea

Hey, great idea! A blog could be done. And it would pretty much implement server side, javascript (ajax adding and so on), and an html/css interface. That's one of the tops on the idea list :)And ya, your blog software was amazing, aspnet....you could have sold that. It was so professional!

what you saw was amazing...I never finished the admin panel tho...I liked it because it was clean and easy to use....Word Press is getting too clogged with useless features, IMO. Maybe I'll finish it someday soon

I always wanted some sort of blog on my site. one that had a full admin pannel but i never got around to it. it would be interesting the somehow have you register on one site and then any website that used our blog (if it is what we make)you would be registered and be able to leave comments and things like that.EDIT: It would be hard to stay loged in from site to site but at least you would be registered.

SFB -- That would be very hard to do, considering you would most likely have to use mysql to store the last date you were active AND logged in.. You couldnt really transfer sessions.What would this be coded in? Every language? Lol, would it be a combo of C/JAVA/Php/ASP/other stuff? Or what?I would like to work on this project no matter what it turns out to be! Im currently learning C# so I can make cool stuff in it :). So, this will be a blog or forum or something?

SFB, if that were the case what about abnning users? do they get banned from all sites?JR, The project or technologies have nto been decided. This thread is for discussing ideas. All ideas will be considered and put to a vote (poll) after the project is decided then we will decided on the technologies to use, another poll.

SFB -- That would be very hard to do, considering you would most likely have to use mysql to store the last date you were active AND logged in.. You couldnt really transfer sessions.
I was only sugesting having a register that would be for all blogs. not a login. i didnt say it would be easy or even possible. if it worked banning could proabably be done with a combination of individual blogs only or for all depending on what the person did. the more i think about having all the blogs connected to one site for the users, the less it seems possible

oh, I just noticed this thread. I like the Idea of a forum or blog Software.anyway, count me in.EDIT: also, one thing to think about with one of those; the (x)html/CSS people will have a hard time doing thier part until the graphics people are done, and the Server Side Language people will have to add in all the HTML generation AFTER the html people are done, so mayb we could have different teams start at different times.

EDIT: also, one thing to think about with one of those; the (x)html/CSS people will have a hard time doing thier part until the graphics people are done, and the Server Side Language people will have to add in all the HTML generation AFTER the html people are done, so mayb we could have different teams start at different times.
I would perfer to work in the serverside area but if the project doesnt use php then i would work with (x)html/css. I dont think the (x)html/css people have to wait. they should be working before the image people because then they can tell them where, whatsize and for what purpose they want the image. the server side language people will be able to work on the processing of forms and things like that while the image and (xhtml)/css people work on the layout.

The teams could work in parallel. People working on the backend don't necessarily need to know where everything goes on the page, just which data needs to appear on which pages. That needs to be decided first so all teams know what each page requires.

Justsomeguy is right, it is possible to make all of the teams work together at the same time. All of the implementation of code into the HTML can be done after both sides are done on their parts. :)