W3S Forum Project: Discussion

Chocolate570

For me it doesn't matter if I do (x)html/css, javascript or php, I can do everything! :)The onlything is that I can't do any C++ or C#, nor ASP. I haven't gone that way yet.I vote for parallel shifts of the teams. The only downside is that the server teams should know what elements the client team use in their forms. But we must decide that first anyway so no big deal. A blog thing may be good, but I see more use in the big things we discussed about. We can adjust our plans to the idea, and we can deal with everything that doesn't really cooperate (like people possibly not being advanced enough yet). So it would be more fun to let all of us work on something that really stands, such as a big thing, a forum/board, or several things that together make something even bigger. On the other hand, it could be a better idea to start with something less complicated and with less influence on the community. Just to start with, and just to see what we can accomplish. :)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do that, and we could also depend on classes and things with generalized names so it's easy to call a variable. (e.g. $session=>name)

We could do that, and we could also depend on classes and things with generalized names so it's easy to call a variable. (e.g. $session=>name)
I don't follow, what do you mean use generalized names for classes?

Easy to remember names. Instead of calling the sessions class "rfgjf424fasf", call it "sessions" so everything is simpler to read and so on.

Yea, i would be just a tad bit hard to remember session class "rfgjf424fasf" :). Oh well, Im just going to try and learn C# as well as I can before this starts.. hopefully I can make some awesome things with it.. me and aspnetguy can be the C# team lol :).

Given that .Net will be the technology of choice of course... Or can you combine C# and PHP?

Given what, Jonas? Why would you need to combine C# and PHP?
Reportingsjr said that he and aspnetguy can be the C# team. I'm just saying what if there's no need for a C# team, what if PHP is the webprogramming language of choice, and not the .Net technologies.So, in context, they can be the C# team, given that .Net is the technology of choice.:)

C# is not the MS version of C++. It is the MS version of Java (Except much better). It was developed by the same guy who developed Java...I think he left Sun and went to MS...lolYou cannot combine C# and PHP. Dan, because it is MS we shouldn't use it?So what that PHP is open source? Do you expect that the users how use the finish project are goignto need to modify the PHP language?Any project can be made open source regardless of what language was used to develop it.Personally I think that .Net should be used because it can be compiled which makes for a faster runnning app and makes it much easier to port (you do not need to install all source files (.cs files) on the webserver...just drop in the 1 .dll file along with the HTML (.aspx pages).However there are far more PHP programmers in the community...which will most likely out vote me :) and would make PHP a more practical choice.

Actually it would be great to see a guestbook in asp or asp.net. I don't think there are many of those around, at least not advanced ones. Most typical are free php guestbooks, again probably because of the open-source thing..?

There is very little open source .Net software out there at all. It would be nice to do something in .Net since any idea we come up with has probably been done a dozen times in PHP already. The software would be in a smaller market and be more relavent if it were in .Net.Please don't choose ASP...I know it is one of the tutorials covered on w3schools but I wouldn't recommend anyone learnign ASP anymore (unless they need to for maintaining older applications). ASP is finished and MS has stopped all development of it. They have moved on to .Net. I say that with all due respect and as a former ASP developer. I recommend either PHP or ASP.Net because PHP is still very popular and is still being developed regularly and ASP.Net is very powerful for reasons I have beaten to death :)

C# doesnt have to be the main langauge.. And the framework for .NET is infact free, amazingly (:)). Im not saying we have to use everything for it, just maybe a few pages. This goes along with what aspnetguy said, the things we will end up making have been done in php dozens of times already, so it wouldnt be that significant.

C# doesnt have to be the main langauge.. And the framework for .NET is infact free, amazingly (:)). Im not saying we have to use everything for it, just maybe a few pages. This goes along with what aspnetguy said, the things we will end up making have been done in php dozens of times already, so it wouldnt be that significant.
It is a bad idea to start mixing languages in an application. Either use PHP or ASP.Net or something else...don't try and mix them.

I would vote for PHP simply because of support. Far more servers today support PHP than do ASP.NET. In fact, several people here would not be able to use an application written in ASP.NET without investing in more hosting.

I would vote for PHP simply because of support. Far more servers today support PHP than do ASP.NET. In fact, several people here would not be able to use an application written in ASP.NET without investing in more hosting.
I would agree with you as long as we don't end up doing blog or forum software...you can get that anywhere in php. And besides we are not going to create a better forum than IPB or phpBB in 3 weeks.

But then how would that incorporate the coding skills of this forum? And what's the point of doing this? Isn't that the whole idea behind W3Schools? :)

Maybe a new idea.. What if the project was about creating the perfect tutorial of <whatever> language for beginners, advanced and experts? With it, we could help the site as an addition, whatever. Good idea?
That would just be 3 weeks of technical writing...

We could help the tutorial writers with their tutorials, while we outcount them. They promised an update didn't they? But that takes time. So what if we'd help them in something? As you know, we take part of the site itself as a community. Why, instead of adding something cool application just help them with their 'job'? :)