Table Creation

Guest jahotchk

Guest jahotchk

Hello Everyone... I hope I can leverage the expertise here to help me solve a problem I am having creating my database for my World of Warcraft guild.I have a 2 Tables.char_tblrace_tblIn char_tbl I have a number of columns. One column I have is to allow a player to define the character race he/she has chosen to play. Instead of having the player type in the name of the race, I would like them to be able to choose from a list of options.I also created the char_tbl with a series of columns, one column, c_race has been defined using the following syntax:CREATE TABLE char_tbl (`c_race` VARCHAR( 10 ) DEFAULT 'Character Race' NOT NULL ,);Lastly, I created the race_tbl with one column using the following syntax:CREATE TABLE race_tbl('a_race" VARCHAR(10) DEFAULT 'Choose Character Race' NOT NULL,PRIMARY KEY ('a_race'),);a_race has the following values:OrcUndeadTrollTaurenBlood ElfWhat I am hoping to accomplish through a web page is a drop down list populated with the values in a_race, but be inserted into the c_race column of the char_tbl. Can someone please share with me how I accomplish this goal? Thank you,Jason H.

Well, I can't tell you how to populate your dropdown list. But as far as taking the contents of one table and using them to insert into another, you have a few different options.1. Try

INSERT INTO char_tbl (c_race)SELECT a_race FROM race_tbl WHERE a_race = ***What the user chose from the dropdown***

2. If you are using MS SQL, then you could also use variables to do this (I know that MySQL, and Oracle also allow this but I am unsure of their syntax)For MS SQL

@Race     VARCHAR(10)SELECT @Race = a_race FROM race_tbl WHERE a_race = ***User Input***INSERT INTO char_tbl (c_race)VALUES @Race

Or maybe even just:

@Race = ***User Input***INSERT INTO char_tbl (c_race)VALUES @Race

As I mentioned before, not sure how you will get the dropdown list populated, but this should help you once you get past that point.