Building blocks

Jack McKalling

I have read the Flash tut one time, but a friend told Flash uses its own language, how is that?Can we learn that language? (yes, more languages, I can't get enough :) lol)If so, it would be less expensive: no book to buy, no software to buy, no big download.. And easier to have exactly the flash you need :(I came up with this idea when the target did not do what I want. If I have a flash movie with two clickable areas (buttons), are they both then possible to execute javascript on the same body? My friend denied, as he already knew Flash has its own language... :DIs that correct? :)

Flash has it's own language called action script. It's a language you can only edit within the flash editor. From what you said... I'm not sure you even know what flash is, go download the 30-day trial of flash 8 at macromedia.com.

If i understand, then you could make the buttons link to java script:function()right? That would call the function when the buttons are clicked, just as people make it so that when a button is clicked it opens a url. I think. I have no experience with flash :)

Like that, indeed.The javascript I want to use is like this: java script:ChangeCol("MoviesCol","FunCol","center_column")And for the second area:java script:ChangeCol("FunCol","MoviesCol","left_column")I am not sure this was the correct script, as somebody else wrote it for me, and I may have forgotten it a bit.

Do you have the flash studio? Or, just go to any random site with flash buttons, download them, open them, and change where they link to. Without posting them somewhere else and then claiming them. :)

You can use href links embedded in flash to call javascript functions as above. I've done it many times and it works fine. You can also use something called an FSCommand to use VBscript to allow the page to talk to the flash movie. In IE anyhow.