cool page effect and stuff

real_illusions

Hi, not sure where to post this, so i'll post it here.is there a way of, making a page so that, the menu, logo and background stay where they are, so they are not reloaded everytime you press a link.But the text bit on the page, so to say, in its own area, changes each time you press a link. But, it does so in a cool way, like the text/images scrolls and fades away downwards, and then the new text and images scrolls and fades in upwards, kinda quickly.and also, the url stays the same, so it doesn't show any file names etc..just www.somesite.co.uk no matter what you press.i'm guessing this is possible with flash, and maybe php, but i have no idea on how to go about it.

Yeah, possible in flash, php, and if you for some reason make your websites in IE applications such as Powerpoint or FrontPage. Not recommendable though. I'd say Flash is your best go... :)Moved topic to flash...

i hate frames, so i like to avoid them as much as possible. you get annoying borders too, well..it did when i tried it with the site.so..how do you go about it in flash?and what happens if a user doesn't like flash? could create 2 sites, one flash and one non-flash, just basic html, and an intro page saying which site to go for.

so..how do you go about it in flash?
http://www.w3schools.com/flash/
could create 2 sites, one flash and one non-flash, just basic html, and an intro page saying which site to go for.
Or, you could have a script that detects if Flash is installed on the client's browser, and if not, you can display the Flash logo with a link to downloading Flash.

Well, if you hate frames, there is also a possibility to use some advanced JavaScript instead of FLASH, you can render a certain fixed area of the page, in the way script can target to it.I don't know how to go further, but I do know it is possible to load an external file into a not-frame :)(have seen it on MSN groups)

I dunno what you mean by not-frame? Because all you have to do, if the id of the frame was like "main", is this:<a href="blahblahblah" target="_main">BlahBalhBlah</a>:)~Chocolate570

Hi, not sure where to post this, so i'll post it here.is there a way of, making a page so that, the menu, logo and background stay where they are, so they are not reloaded everytime you press a link.But the text bit on the page, so to say, in its own area, changes each time you press a link. But, it does so in a cool way, like the text/images scrolls and fades away downwards, and then the new text and images scrolls and fades in upwards, kinda quickly.and also, the url stays the same, so it doesn't show any file names etc..just www.somesite.co.uk no matter what you press.i'm guessing this is possible with flash, and maybe php, but i have no idea on how to go about it.

well about the page name that never changes can also work with frames (html) :)well in flash they use frames (like a movie) to run. if you have a ground layout for your side you just have it as a background and drag it so it are displayed from frame 1-50(or longer) it all dipends on how advansed page you want to have. you can move object how ever you want and even make an axel for the object to movie in. all the features you just said can be made in flash. you dont need to do much codes inside flash. Like buttoms are very easy to use and link.to link a buttom link it to the frame in the flash movie you want it to show.And i would advise you for each frame that are not animated to add a pause on all frames so not the site runs automatic and loops. (If i remember correctly it is explained in the help file)hope this helps alittle :)

thx for the help so far.i dont see anything on w3schools.com about the use of flash as html pages. i'm not great at flash, all i know is how to do the tween across the screen.dan the prof - that javascript idea intrigues me, any possiblililitiy that you can go further with that?about the div layers been targeted. the only link target attributes are blank, parent, top and self. so..i'm a bit confused by everything

Well, you know about MSN groups?They use their own text editor, and load them onto the body of the page. I am really positive it is not a frame, that is why.Edit: I checked it out, and they don't use frames, but still they use an inline frame.I hope that is OK for you? :)If you are really sure you don't want frames nor inline frames ('floating frames'), then you might have a go at server side languages, like PHP, to read an external file and echo the content into a div, of the calling document :( Example:

<?phpecho "My calandar: <br />",  "<table><tr>";for ($a=0; $a<7; $a++) {  echo "<td>The {$a}<sup>TH</sup> day</td>";}echo "</tr><tr>";some calandar events hereecho "</tr></table>";?>
...<div style="width:500px; height:300px; overflow:scroll"><?php include("ExternalFile.inc"); ?></div>...
:D this way you'd use serverside script, and no frames. Neither FLASH :) Edited by Dan The Prof

tried the above phpbut i got a parse error in this line

echo "</tr><tr>";
:)edit - ok..i discovered the problem was my fault.where do i put my html in that code? and how do you get rid of the calender code?2nd edit - now sorted that out. been told that by using complicated php, css show/hide with it all on one page...the menu, background etc.. will all stay loaded while the text loads.i guess this needs moving to the php section :):( Edited by real_illusions