Introduce Yourself

Chocolate570

There is no BEST language to use. You need to evaluate what is best for you based on current knowledge, hosting limitations, possible customer requirements, and the application itself.PHP is extremely popular. I use both PHP and ASP.Net. Both langages are about as far apart as you can get. There are many things I like and dislike about both. PHP is probably one of the easiest languages to get started with as just about very host supports it (including alot of free hosts).CF is not used a lot but there are still many that love it, just ask Skemcin if you are interested in knowing more about CF.I only suggested ASP.Net because you mentioned you wanted to learn ASP.

well I have a book on ASP and its a few years old, so it seemed logical to start with that, but I'm willing to learn anything to increase my skills and knowledge. I'll probably end up getting books on most of those langauges as I progress, but I was just interested in hearing what people had to say about each of them and what they use them for.

well I have a book on ASP and its a few years old, so it seemed logical to start with that, but I'm willing to learn anything to increase my skills and knowledge. I'll probably end up getting books on most of those langauges as I progress, but I was just interested in hearing what people had to say about each of them and what they use them for.
Unless you really have your heart set on ASP it is probably a waste of time as it is dying out. There are very few companies/websites using ASP and the some of the ones that do (that I have noticed) are slowly transitioning to ASP.Net.

Hello, W3Schools Forum. I am BlueDigit.I started programming two years ago, but since then, my skills have become less than useful. [>_>;]So, I'm re-learning everything, starting with JavaScript. It's going well, so far.So, ermm… Hi.

Hello, W3Schools Forum. I am BlueDigit.I started programming two years ago, but since then, my skills have become less than useful. [>_>;]So, I'm re-learning everything, starting with JavaScript. It's going well, so far.So, ermm… Hi.
Welcome to the forums. Just as a suggestion, forget about ASP...it is no longer supported by Microsoft and development stopped around 2000. IMO it is not worth your time as it really has no future except if you need to support legacy code.

Unless you really have your heart set on ASP it is probably a waste of time as it is dying out. There are very few companies/websites using ASP and the some of the ones that do (that I have noticed) are slowly transitioning to ASP.Net.
cool, thanks for the advice! what about PHP, is that like ASP.net or something completely different?
hey, welcome to the board, i guess we're in the same boat!

cool, thanks for the advice! what about PHP, is that like ASP.net or something completely different?
ASP.Net and PHP are very different.ASP.Net is...1) mainly a framework and runtime that compiles to a common language (CLR)2) a compiled (optional) language3) statically typed (by default unless you use something like F#)4) allows you to use the language you prefer like C#, VB, IronPython, IronRuby, F#, etc5) completely object oriented6) Windows and IIS only (unless you use the Mono Project [open source port of .Net by Novell] but it has limitations and some issues)7) hosting is generally more expensivePHP is...1) an interpretted language2) dynamically typed3) traditionally a procedural language but PHP5 gave it a huge boost when it comes to OO4) open source5) platform independant6) hosting is generally cheaper and easier to find

Hello, My name is Aaron but the screen name is The_Red_Priest because it was Antonio Vivaldi's nickname. This is my first forum I've ever registered with and that can only be attributed to the complete "######-kickery" factor that is w3schools. This site is where I first started teaching myself PHP and MySQL then of course I started buying the fat programming books at Barnes and Noble while pestering my programing friends for occasional tips. Through my earlier escapades on the internet, I surfed through an almost countless amount of informative self-help web-sites for programing but w3schools.com is still by far the best I've ever encountered so I thought it only appropriate to have this be the first forum I would set up an account with... wow, Charles Dickens could not have wrote a better run-on. I'm from Arizona, USA. Arizona is... hot. In the summer, where in 3-digit temperature everyday. It gets old.I'm an Actor/very amateur Violinist. Believe it or not, I'm not gay, I know, crazy right? Favorite classical composer- Antonio Vivaldi, Favorite contemporary composer- Philip Glass. Both these guys produced some amazing violin concertos. Favorite actors- Pacino and Walken. I hope to someday be fortunate enough to say I program dynamic web sites and get paid for it.Anyway, I hope I learn a lot, meet some cool peeps and who knows, maybe someday I'll get good enough to where I could actually contribute.Thanks. Peace.

Hello, My name is Aaron but the screen name is The_Red_Priest because it was Antonio Vivaldi's nickname. This is my first forum I've ever registered with and that can only be attributed to the complete "######-kickery" factor that is w3schools. This site is where I first started teaching myself PHP and MySQL then of course I started buying the fat programming books at Barnes and Noble while pestering my programing friends for occasional tips. Through my earlier escapades on the internet, I surfed through an almost countless amount of informative self-help web-sites for programing but w3schools.com is still by far the best I've ever encountered so I thought it only appropriate to have this be the first forum I would set up an account with... wow, Charles Dickens could not have wrote a better run-on. I'm from Arizona, USA. Arizona is... hot. In the summer, where in 3-digit temperature everyday. It gets old.I'm an Actor/very amateur Violinist. Believe it or not, I'm not gay, I know, crazy right? Favorite classical composer- Antonio Vivaldi, Favorite contemporary composer- Philip Glass. Both these guys produced some amazing violin concertos. Favorite actors- Pacino and Walken. I hope to someday be fortunate enough to say I program dynamic web sites and get paid for it.Anyway, I hope I learn a lot, meet some cool peeps and who knows, maybe someday I'll get good enough to where I could actually contribute.Thanks. Peace.
nice to meet you. welcome to the site.

Guest thrasher

hello folks, i'm thrasher.... thrash metal fan big time, hence the nick. gotta say this site rocks for self learning! glad i found it. think i'll park my arse here for quite a long time! :)

Hi, I'm not exactly new to programming in general, but I am fairly new to web design and programming of that nature. My first experience in programming was my high school course in which we learned to program in Python. Then at the end of the year, after a few weeks of VPython, we started on a very little amount of HTML which is what got me interested. My teacher recommended this site and I've been teaching myself these subjects as I come to them. Although, I'm still sort of trying to figure out whether I should start learning PHP and SQL now, since I'm not entirely sure with what I would use them for, even though I've already read through small portions of each of their tutorials...

PHP and SQL do almost every data manipulation on the internet. Forums, blogs, content managing systems, file uploading. Between PHP and SQL you can do it all. Most of the SQL you need is directly in the PHP tutorial, but you can get deeper into it with the SQL tutorial.

Hi there people. I did introduce myself some months back but got sidetracked a bit. My name is Luke and I am hoping to either be a web designer or games programmer one day. I dont really have much to say. Just that I love evrything about computers, from the hardware to the software, and when im not infront of the pc, im infront of my xbox 360- rudeix cube, is my gt add me if you like.

• 2 weeks later...
Here you can be welcomed to the forum. Just introduce yourself, so we can get to know everyone better. This is not a place for questions, so keep that in mind. My name is Chocolate570 and I am a moderator of this forum. You can PM me any concerns RELATED to this forum. What about you? :)~Chocolate570This has not been stickied for a reason. If I see alot of replies, then i'll sticky it. Otherwise, it'll just occupy more space in the pinned section.
\Hi,My name is EdV and I would like join the forum.

Here you can be welcomed to the forum. Just introduce yourself, so we can get to know everyone better. This is not a place for questions, so keep that in mind. My name is Chocolate570 and I am a moderator of this forum. You can PM me any concerns RELATED to this forum. What about you? :)~Chocolate570This has not been stickied for a reason. If I see alot of replies, then i'll sticky it. Otherwise, it'll just occupy more space in the pinned section.

Hi All. I'm Jim (oyster, hoping to carry pearl of great price), an old fuddy duddy around since Radio Shack's Tandy 48K times. Stepping into modern technology and trying to evolve into the newest generation of developers. I'm hoping to find some "canes" to help me walk through the transition. Thanks in advance.

Hiya. I joined last year, I think, but am becoming more active now.name: StevenBorn: Aug 2 1985Gender: DudeResidence: Minnesota, USAHeight: random, but 5'10"Weight: just as random, but 150+ lbsEyes & Hair: PoopySmoking/Drinking/Drugs: I like cigars and pipes, quit ciggs a number of years ago, enjoy a tastey beer (read: not cheap american domestic) now and then.Favourite Music: Lots of metal and random rock/alternative. Ex: Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Megadeth, Smashing PumpkinsFavourite Movies: Long and boring. Ex: Legends of the Fall, Cold MountainInterest: I really like history, especially Germanic medieval history. I also enjoy theology (Reformed).1Pets: I would like to have a cat, small dogs are annoying and large dogs are too much maintenanceAdditional comments: The forums are great, lots of helpful people and a lot of good opportunities to help others in return. I just wish there was a General Discussion forum for chit-chat :)

Hi I just thought I would have a look at your forum as it looks like it has some nice info for me to read.I have been working with Php for about 5 years now and every day you learn some thing new or find newer ways of doing things differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,my name is DaveI have a natural ability to look at something and not see itI know nothing but want to know everythingI try to obey the rules but normally find I've missed some.Most people agree that I'm a grumpy old git.I don't get upset by personal insultsI do get upset when people hit me.Can't think of anything else at present except thank you all in advance for all the help and advice you will be giving me over the years.Dave

Guest Razor

Hi all, my name is Ryan but you can call me Razor. I am new to webdesign and all that it entails. I have much to learn, and from what I have seen W3 schools is a great place to learn. I look forward to discussing topics here.Full name: Ryan .TAlternative name(s): NoneBirth date(dd/mm/yyyy): I'm 24Gender: MaleZodiacal sign:Aquarius Country of residance: New ZealandCity of residance: GisborneHeight: 6' 1"Weight: 75kgEyes: Blue (Probably why its my favourite colorHair: Not sure, its a kind of strawberry blond.Smoking/Drinking/Drugs: I'm not that stupidFavourite Music: Classical, & Contemporary Favourite Movies: Ten Commandments, Star Wars, Almost anything with action, also like good comediesInterest: Computers! (All and everything in between) Fishing, camping, hunting, anything outdoors, Reading, ForumsPets: Sadly none, I would like a dog, and am also planning on an aquarium.Additional comments: If you put your mind to it, you can do anything. (It just may take time :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Name - JavierPlace - Puerto Rico, Caribbean PrideAge - Still a youngster 17Future - Become a Web Designer and Comp GraphicsPassion - Online Gaming like WoW.New here imma take some high school courses on fall of Java, CSS and Wed Desing, so wanted to learn a bit more here.If theres anythinh you guys recomend in order like after HTML/CSS I would appreciate it.-God Bless