Introduce Yourself

Chocolate570

Hi,I am a Great Grammy. Now, come on....I know you think I am too old to do this stuff, but I really enjoy it and have the time for it, as long as I get my afternoon nap. I graduated with a 3.97 average, so am not too brain dead ... yet... I went to college and graduated in 2000 with an Associates Degree in Computer Science. Since then, I have started my own business and made my website and a few others. I, also, am raising an eight year old granddaughter that keeps me entertained. I am here because I have not kept myself updated with the code, and want to revamp my website using CSS. I started the W3Schools tutorial beginning with HTML. I have some old copyrighted 2000 books on HTML 4, but some of the tags in there are depreciated. I have learned quite a bit of new stuff already, and can hardly wait to learn more. Happy Trails,Deb

Hey people. I like to post reply's here to help others and in the same time I try to pick up many tips and hints that the other people post here.Full name: Chris VisserBirth date(dd/mm/yyyy): 4 july 1988Gender: maleZodiacal sign: CancerCountry of residance: NetherlandsCity of residance: AmsterdamSmoking/Drinking/Drugs: no/yes/noFavourite Music: Trance, techno, blues, irish, celtic, rockInterest: Soccer, party's, websitesPets: dog, cat, aquariumAdditional comments: I've never followed any education or course on any weblanguage, but always relied on online tutorials. I don't like copying blindly so I try to understand everything I use. In return I post my own scripts to benefit others.

I am a Great Grammy. Now, come on....I know you think I am too old to do this stuff, but I really enjoy it and have the time for it, as long as I get my afternoon nap.
Hi Deb,I just wanted to let you know there are other oldsters out here. I am a 50-something woman who found XHTML/CSS a year or so ago and have fallen in love with the whole internet-coding-graphics world. I am also a college graduate and have started my own web/graphic design business. I really enjoy turning non-tech people on to the joys of the www. Best to you!Christine

Guest JenniferxPatricia

Hello. everyone! I'm Jennifer P.Although I'm quite young, I adore working with codes and manipulating them to deisgn Web pages.I am eighteen years old, and a fierce competitor in the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) South Carolina Chapter.I have my own Web site, that today, placed first in District competition! I don't believe it's all that great, I think I have a lot more to learn and accomplish.The few coding languages I know are: CSS, XHTML, and HTML. I wish to pursue all other programming and designing languages in the future. As well as becoming a Web Designer and teacher of it.I hope to one day own my own business, too!I just wanted to put it out there and say hi, and thank you for welcoming me to this forum.Hopefully, I can gain and have the help of all the knowledge the more experienced have.Thanks greatly,Jennifer Papageorgehttp://www.whitehorseonline.com/fbla <--My Website for the competition. Done only by code in Notepad. I did not use any templates, Dreamweaver, or any other design programs.-->

Pretty good work for 18. Three suggestions off the top of my head.1. Don't blink elements, or at most let them blink once and stop. Most users find them distracting. The "cool" factor wears off very quickly.2. Don't use tables as a layout framework, as you do in "navigation2." The list format you use in the next menu could be applied to this one.3. Learn how to anti-alias your graphics, to remove the jaggies.

• 3 weeks later...

I been bopping around these forums for a while now I think maybe it's time I introduce me.Full name: ...Alternative name(s): ...Birth date(dd/mm/yyyy): 1987Gender: MCountry of residance: USCity of residance: Curtiss, WIHeight: From the bottom of my feet to the top of my headWeight: Somewhere between 10 and 1000 lbs...Eyes: I have two.Hair: Still there, but thinning faster than I'd like...(especially for being in my 20s!!! :) )Smoking/Drinking/Drugs: On a cold day in *#&%Favourite Music: Everything but rap, metal, and opera (if you can call this stuff music...)Favourite Movies: Anything but musicalsInterest: Computers, video games, fishing, driving tractors and other such big farm equipment, paintballingPets: cats and a piranha (and about 35 cows... :) )Additional comments: If you haven't guessed I live on a farm. A dairy farm. I'm married, I have one beautiful daughter and another kid on the way.

Wow! It appears the majority of members are very young, compared to me. I used to wrtite my own HTML sites years ago, then gave it up for other pursuits. Now I'm starting my own photography business and want to build a smokin' website, so here I am. It lookslike I have a lot to learn... again. Oh well, we'll find out if the adage, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is true. So far, I have been able to prove this saying is false.

Edited by Norm

Hi W3schools,I am TBone from The Netherlands. I have used W3Schools to begin my website designer route.I do and learn these things just for the fun.In my last project i came across xml files and wanted to alter them, so i started back at W3Schools to learn about xml.This is the first time the tutorials didn't suited my wishes - so i am turning to the community for help.But not here - down in the xml forum i will place my question.For the rest i am in a gaming community [TAW] and run my own website using CMS Joomla at the moment.

Hello-I'm new to w3schools and the forum. I'm an art director/designer with a background in print design, branding, and communications, who, like many, has been displaced by the recession and am looking to update my skills in order to get back to work. After contacting numerous colleges and technical schools in my area, I was very discouraged to learn that none but one offered any sort of web design, web development, or multimedia media program for creative professionals such as myself. And, the one that was offered was a 15-month commitment to the tune of $23,000! On the advice of friends, I was directed to online training through this website. However, I have to admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed by the "alphabet soup" of tutorials. Can anyone recommend a study path for me that will provide me with the skills I need to make the transition I need from print design to web design and be able to compete effectively in today's market?Thanks in advance! :) \mm/

Guest nomade

Hi to all and very compliments for the site. :)Alternative name(s): Nomade Kalafro (nomade)Gender: maleZodiacal sign: AquariusCountry of residance: ItalyFavourite Music: ReggaeAdditional comments: well... lemme see... I'm an ex graphic designer and now I am studying web development by myself. :) Nice emoticons here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there after waiting for the activation iam in :)Full name: ChrisAlternative name(s): ChrizzBirth date(dd/mm/yyyy): 1986Gender: MaleCountry of residance: NetherlandsCity of residance: NijmegenSmoking/Drinking/Drugs: Nope, Nope, NopeFavourite Music: Thrash, PsytranceFavourite Movies: 2012Interest:Design & WebdesignPets: Cat and a H.H.TortoiseAdditional comments: Learning in PHP etc.

Hello everyone! My name is Scotty, I'm 17, and web design is my favorite hobby. I'm currently studying PHP and JavaScript because scripting is the coolest. :) I own and run several of my own forums, one of which is about web design, but I won't drop the link here because I don't want to take away any website traffic.Welp, I think that's about it. Geeks rule! :)

Guest Sander Buruma

Hello all, I'm Sander Buruma and I'm trying to make a website to speak about morals, ethics, spirituality, destiny, hope, faith and love. Not just philosophically but also applied practically. I can spend a long time trying to make a website but I'm still a bit unlearned in putting things into the world. I'm trying to make myself usefull in the world, because atm I live off government benefits.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Paul and I am from the beautiful state of Florida. The main reason I joined this forum was to find out how I could contact W3C in regards to my certificate status that was supposed to be mailed out. It has been over 2 weeks now and I have not seen anything come through the mail. Does anyone know? Thanks.

it is best to email them at help@refnesdata.no.P.S. W3Schools has no affiliation with the W3C.

it is best to email them at help@refnesdata.no.P.S. W3Schools has no affiliation with the W3C.
It won't even let me send an email to that address, I guess because of the .no extension. I am using Gmail so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm Toni Washington. I am a 66 yo female who is just starting to learn to make websites. When I was 6 years old I saw my first TV! My dad bought our first TV when I was 13! I learned to type on a manual typewriter! I know how to use a card catalog! YIKES!W3schools is the best and I want to thank whoever it is that provides this site. In my quest to find the answers and to learn, I’ve seen many sites and have picked up info from them but this site is neatly laid out and it’s easy to find information. My short term goals are to learn html and css. Then I want to learn Javascript. I’ve gone through the html tut and am on my second trip through to catch the loose ends. Learning html is just plain fun. Everything internet related is of great interest to me. I’ve also been doing some of the opencourseware classes. Binary and ACSII have been fun to learn too.My family lives in the rainforest of the Hoh River Valley in Washington state in the USA. The valley is about a 20 minute drive south from Forks WA (of Twilight book fame). We had satellite TV but unhooked it a few years ago. I now know more people who do NOT have TV reception than do. Most of the residents of the valley have satellite internet because they live so far from the access to DSL. We had dial up until 2 years ago. I have 2 dogs and a cat. We used to have all the farmland critters but they retired when we did. Now we're stuck with a herd of elk in the field (and eating my roses).There are few things that don't interest me. Love all music but especially love European and Russian music, classical, rock and roll, and some c&w. I'm also a ham radio operator.How very fortunate we all are to be able to do this. It leaves me in awe. I am madly in love with the access to information the internet provides. I’m looking forward to learning on this site and forum and hopefully someday be able to help others. :)

Hi, Toni. Congratulations on taking up a challenging hobby at age 66. And also for being older than I am. :)I like your goal of helping others. One of the reason I and some of the other regulars come here to help out is that it gives us a chance to solve problems we might not otherwise have thought up. I don't always test out code for people (some stuff is pretty routine) but I often do, and I almost always learn something.That's how they do it in med school: see one, do one, teach one. The teaching part is when you really learn what it's all about.And even if you don't teach anything for a while, you can still learn a lot on the forum. You just have to follow it a lot and see what kinds of solutions people come up with. A lot of this stuff comes from experience and cannot be found in textbooks at any price. Seriously.

I've said "Hi" before, but I'll make it a bit more official now. :) I'm getting back into web design after many years of on and off puttering. I was your classic Sci-Fi geek fan in high school and made ye olde Geocities page for all my fanfic, humor, filks and other insanity. I did another page for marching and concert band humor. In college I did a few others just for amusement. Always with free editors and hosting. Anyhoo, since the job market is more or less kaput. I thought I'd train myself in it again while I look for work. Give me an extra way to make some income, plus it's one of the few things I've enjoyed doing for 8hrs a day and that's no small thing! I didn't really have any start up capital since I'm unemployed, but my husband had gotten a copy of Expression Web 2 as a gift. So I'm learning on that! We also have a relatively recent edition of photoshop and that helps! :) It's mostly self study with the tutorials from Total Training that came with it (I later got the entire "Essentials" dvd training since I liked it so much.), E3, and other stuff I've picked up along the way. I'm most of the way through the first phase so I'm getting ready to start tinkering in earnest and hit the next section. (Funny how building entire websites with, for me, new tools like CSS is considered "tinkering" for me now. Yep, that's why I want to do this again! One of the few jobs, that I can actually potentially make money with, that I just find 'fun'. :)) So...hi! :)

Edited by cuzsis

G'day everyone. Thought I'd say an actual hello in this thread.My name's Michael, and I come from NSW, Australia. I started getting into web development a few months ago, thanks to finding w3Schools. I started with the HTML tutorial, then did a lot of the CSS and JavaScript tutorials, some of the PHP and SQL tutorials etc. I'm now doing a lot of training to do with Adobe programs like Flash, Dreamweaver and Illustrator. I'd just like to thank w3Schools for giving me a start in the world of technology, beyond just using Windows and knowing a little HTML.Anyway, hope I can be of some use around here. :)

Guest LogicFreak

Alternative name(s): LogicFreakGender: MaleZodiacal sign: ScorpioCountry of residance: AsiaHeight: 5'9Interest: All about computerAdditional comments: Hello guys, I'm logicfreak, you guys can call me logic or freak or logicfreak or freaklogic anything you want. I read the rules last time and today I'm gonna read it and tomorrow i will read it so i cannot forget it lol. I will search first before i post to make the forum clean. I'm here because I want to learn how to turn on the computer(just kidding) anyways I'm glad to be here and I hope we can share our knowledge here. Thank you

Hello, my name is Grant (if you haven't already figured that out), and I'm moderatly new to programming. I have (X)HTML almost downpat though I have yet to memorize the tags. But my main interest does seem to be in game design, since I love playing flash games thought I might give it a try. Adding to that, I'm a 15 year old freshman in high school and thought I'd give programming a shot. I've had my fair share of forum activity, since I am a mod on another site. Hmmm, well knowing that its a kids site I don't think I'll get a lot of credit for that lol. A little more about myself; My favorite hobby is playing guitar, which is another thing I'm working on, and enjoy camping on the computer :)But anyways I'm currently brushing up my knowledge in HTML, XML, and JavaScript. Although I have boughten a book on PHP, I thought I would learn some basic Web Design beforehand for a bit more basic introduction to programming. If you have an idea of what would be best to start learning for game design please contact me in any way.