Text size issues in FireFox

w3developing

I am trying to determine a way to overide the "View->Text Size" option in FireFox.. for all of my fonts, through my entire website. I really want all of my font size to be static.Can anyone provide a recommended way to achieve this in CSS?I hear that you cannot override FireFox, unless you use the "pt" extension on all font sizes?Which also bring me to the question.. What is the difference between "pt" & "px" (I understand pixels) but how do these two relate, and why use one over the other??

px means PiXels as you mentioned. A pixel is a dot on a screen as you probably know.pt means PoinTs. But a point doesn't mean a dot on a screen. It's a specific quantity for a text measurement. 1pt means that the text is as large as one point(dot) on a paper. On a screen however this could be 2, 3 or more pixels, depending on the screen resolution.I tryed using pt on all of my font sizes and it didn't work. The text was with correct sizes on all browsers but still- the View>Text Size option is not overriden.By the way. Why do you want to override this option? It's always a good thing to allow visitors to change the text size. After all- some of them might have a poor sight :) .

By the way. Why do you want to override this option? It's always a good thing to allow visitors to change the text size. After all- some of them might have a poor sight :) .

i was going to say this too.if you over ride the text size option on your site, then you are actually in breach of the disability act on the internet. everyone needs to be able to read a website, no matter who they are.:)

Using a style sheet and defining the font-size will override this function of FIreFOx.font-size: 12pt or font-size: 16px (sizes may not be equal)defining it in pixels seems to be the most accepted way although I am not sure why. I usually use points (pt) and have never had any trouble with it.Cheers :)

Using a style sheet and defining the font-size will override this function of FIreFOx.font-size: 12pt or font-size: 16px (sizes may not be equal)defining it in pixels seems to be the most accepted way although I am not sure why. I usually use points (pt) and have never had any trouble with it.Cheers :)

I think boen_robot did a good job explaining the differences - a little tucked away in his/her post - but its in there. Basically, "pt" is for print/paper - directly related to each point it takes to print something like a letter. A "px" is the PC equivilant - each monitor displays thinkgs by pixels - not points. A browser is left to interpet a point to a pixel which is why results vary from browser to browser.And, to reiterate a point already made, a developer should never try to "override" any function that controls teh display of a page - other than Active X. You risk, regardless of your target audience, alienating visitors.