html 4

weatherbe

Hi all, I have a question for you and/or the folks at W3schools. I have been teaching myself html over the last year, and at times I have read that html 3 is considered the universal version that folks should start out learning. This has been written even though html version 4 has been out there for a while. Now all of a sudden, including w3schools, I am seeing that html version 4 is the one most folks are referring to. Has 4 now become the universal version? And is there really a big difference between 3 and 4? Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. And also a big thank you to w3schools for providing such an incredible learning site!Sincerely,Weatherbe

First, I'd like to welcome you to the w3schools discussion board. Myself, the other moderators and members of the discussion board cannot officially speak on behalf of the w3schools.com owners. But what I can say in reply to your questions is that http://www.w3.org/ has the official word. As of right now, they are recommending HTML 4.0 and XHTML 1.0 - with XHTML 2.0 in the works.Since XHTML is going to replace HTML, I would recommend learning XHTML. For the most part, the difference is a matter of depricated tags and syntax. XHTML is much more strict. This link:http://w3schools.com/tagsis a good reference to understand what tags you should get used to and which could being to use less.All in all, HTML 4.0 is the official word followed with an asterix that says here come XHTML 1.0.Hope this helps.

And if you're going to use doctypes (as you should in xhtml), I would use the transitional one, as that would give you the opportunity for backwards compatibility with some of the stuff you've learned already. Strict doctype would require you learn cascading style sheets, a language for formatting html, at the same time...

The only difference is excepted syntax...don't waste your time on either of them. learn XHTML 1.0 Transitional and you will be set for many years. I fyou don't you will be forced to learn it in the future when it finally replaces HTML 4.