Browser Discussion

Jonas

back to browsers... ... I'm running a Dell 3000 with Windows home edition and FireFox is crashing alot when I open the base program. It always works when I open a file in Firefox but not when I open the program and it takes me to my homepage. I have reinstalled it... still no luck.
:) You have firefox crash? I have IE crash. I have grown to love FF over the ... past few days really. And Mac OS X Tiger looks great compared to XP, Vista better blow Tiger/Leopard out of the water or Apple's goin to have another convert.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Look at this. I always knew Opera 9 is the most standarts compilant browser today, but I never thought I would see it in numbers.

It says Web Devout is currently undergoing a major update. The site should be back up shortly.:)[EDIT] Never mind, there it is again. :)

Probably the worst part is that it still has little-to-no support for pseudo-classes, which can have so much to say for compatibility (:hover on other elements than links is probably the only support added)

Ya know? I really don't see many differences in the GUI of IE 6 and 7. I don't mean options and all of that, I mean they've kept the same boring, mostly non-gradiented grey. All that you can tell is different the first time you look at it is the tab. :S

• 2 weeks later...

Even with all the help I try to give people, the thing I've done on this site that I feel pretty proud of is the increase in people knowing about and using Opera. I was looking at the numbers:

2006	IE7   IE6   IE5   Fx	Moz   N7/8  O7/8/9August  2.0%  56.2% 4.1%  27.1% 2.3%  0.3%  1.6%July	1.9%  56.3% 4.2%  25.5% 2.3%  0.4%  1.4%

It's quite a jump for Opera, relatively speaking. Granted, Firefox jumped 1.6 points, but that's only a 6% increase. Opera went up .2 points, and that's a 14% increase. It looks like IE folk are moving up to IE7 from the earlier versions, while Netscrape continues to slide. Also, I would be willing to bet that the user base increased between July and August, so in addition to a larger percentage of people using Opera, it's also a larger absolute number of people. Or, alternately, even with a larger user base, the percentage of people using Opera still increases.

opera is no where in the use as a browser, they might use it for testing of their designs.I think today most of them use either firefox or IE and IE 7.0 is gonna rock as there is a lot of CSS change, and towards security i think it is good.

I thought i'd add this: http://blogs.ifcode.com/webworldx/114/my-online-time/It's part-discussion, part-rant but there's some good points in there I think. I switched to Firefox last week in one of those "don't use IE and see what the competition is like" periods. Overall, i'm impressed with the speed and some of the features of Firefox Beta 2, but to be honest - there's not an overall jump in number of features between it and IE7 w/ Maxthon.

opera is no where in the use as a browser, they might use it for testing of their designs.
That's not true at all. Those stats are from people browsing the w3schools site, so I doubt people are testing when they are browsing the site. Opera is a very usable browser.
I think today most of them use either firefox or IE and IE 7.0 is gonna rock as there is a lot of CSS change, and towards security i think it is good.
Clearly most people use either Firefox or IE. But IE7 will already be outdated by the time it gets released. They will have incomplete support for CSS2, which is 3 years old already, and possibly no support for true XHTML, which is 5 years old. The changes are good, and are very much-needed, but the other browsers have been doing that stuff already for years. The biggest thing the developers are doing with regards to standards is that they are fixing a lot of the stupid bugs that IE6 had, like not using background-attachment: fixed on anything other then the body element, alpha PNG support, :hover only working on links, etc. They aren't going to pass the ACID2 test (something that several other browsers already do), and they will have incomplete support for CSS2 and hardly any support for CSS3. You can read more about it here:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/07/29/445242.aspxWith regard to security, "good" is relative. It's going to be "good" compared to IE6, but it's still going to be "crap" compared with Opera or even Firefox.
Overall, i'm impressed with the speed and some of the features of Firefox Beta 2, but to be honest - there's not an overall jump in number of features between it and IE7 w/ Maxthon.
Firefox doesn't concentrate on features, they leave that up to the extension developers. Opera includes everything built-in, Firefox has a great extension system, different people prefer the different styles.

• 1 month later...

Likewise, alpha transparency will make for a lot of good-looking layouts, like shadows on borders and things like that. The lack of support from IE has kept me from using them, but once we get a year or so into IE7, depending on the usage numbers, I'm sure we'll all start to see that use go up. People have been wanting to get away from the gif format for a long time.http://burnallgifs.org/archives/

Huh. As it turns out, until recently, we were all using illegal images on our websites and we were making even more obviously illegal animations :) .As for the PNG thing, I'll currently stick with binary transparency if I need transparency (I'm not much of a designer...). A year or so would probably be enough for most people to update and that's when I would slowly start pushing PNG's Alpha slowly up.There is one thing that hopefully people won't use though. There was a bug in the RC1 build, which I think isn't fixed in the final either. When you use a transparency filter over alpha transparent PNG, it looses it's transparency even though the filter is applied. On the bright side, this bug is the best way to test how the same PNG would look in IE6 :) . I mean, if you make alpha filter of 99% opacity, the image would practically be opaque, yet degraded up to binary transparency.Now that I think of it, I may start using PNGs a lot sooner. The pages themselves would however suggest the latest version of the browser available (pointing out the version numbers of course). When people see a few sites telling about the new browser, they are more likely to upgrade . That is, if they read those notes to begin with. It's too bad we can't enforce people to download IE7 the same way they download Flash player. Good thing MS does.

Well, I started using them, and as you said or in a way suggested I think I will add a "Supported Browsers" section and point out that if things look off that is why, I personally use FireFox but held off due to the numbers of people that still use IE6, but now... Anyway I used a png in the top shadow of my pages here, png shadow and I seem to remember that IE6 also had a problem with positioning of absolute items, now my shadow stays in place when the page is scrolled. Kind of exciting that there seems to be a whole new horizon that is no longer blocked by IE6'

• 2 weeks later...

Huh?? It's just a joke. Look at the system requirements. I tried downloading it. You just download the setup file for IE7 from microsoft.com...

• 3 weeks later...

Firefox (1.5, 2) is a whole lot better.........i havent had any anti-virus program for months now...and still running safe........IE needs some (many though) improvements. But i heard that recently in Firefox the passwords were leaked through it's Password Managar program.........i havent turned it off since then. Do u think it can be a risk........ also is Any 1 using password manager currently.

Firefox (1.5, 2) is a whole lot better.........i havent had any anti-virus program for months now...and still running safe........IE needs some (many though) improvements. But i heard that recently in Firefox the passwords were leaked through it's Password Managar program.........i havent turned it off since then. Do u think it can be a risk........ also is Any 1 using password manager currently.
It's not a "leak" so much as a social engineering exploit. A website can set up a form to mirror something you have stored in password manager, and if you hit the button to have it fill in automatically, the malicious website gets your info. It's the same as if you had typed it in yourself, and it affects IE as well.