Browser Discussion

Jonas

First off, I figured i would say i'm currently a fan of flock, firefox would have me if it changed three things like flock- an option so the bookmark bar always open in new tabs (if there is an option, I can't find it)- the way the tab bar is handled, flock's bar has a slide for extra tabs, where firefox has a dropdown button- there's no new tab button on the tab bar (very useful, after i got used to it, it got annoying hitting ctrl + t)now for the main reason of this post,does anyone know where i can get a set of browser icons?- i want to have a page on my site that shows which browsers my site works well in- kinda like the icons that w3schools have to show if a tag is supported by a certain browseralso, i found some gorgeous icons but they don't have all the types of browsers i plan to support, and i'd rather have a continuity in the icons rather that 3 gorgeous icons and to regular icons.also, if you feel that is is in the wrong section, kick it our, move it or whateverthanks,
The first result on Google for "browser icons" looks good to me. It has all browser engines you need to support (IE8 has the same icon as the IE7 one, Firefox, Safari, Konqueror). The only thing I see missing the new Opera icon and the Google Chrome icon.

For what it's worth, I handle the new tabs issue by clicking on bookmarks with the middle mouse button, on here that opens whatever link is referenced in a new tab. I also customise the toolbars to add a new tab button in the top left on the row which has the back/forward buttons, this may or may not be suitable - doesn't matter too much though, I usually CTRL+T for a new tab.
okay, never new about middle mouse clicking, but i see that it works, and it fixes that issue.I also never thought to look to add a new tab button, but there it is, so now i'll be using firefox quite a bit more.thanks,

The first result on Google for "browser icons" looks good to me. It has all browser engines you need to support (IE8 has the same icon as the IE7 one, Firefox, Safari, Konqueror). The only thing I see missing the new Opera icon and the Google Chrome icon.
wow, I googled and never got that, but thanks, that's got just about everything. I see the opera icon there, but not the Chrome icon(I'm pretty much just looking for icons for the latest versions of the browsers)again, thanks,

• 1 month later...

You've probably answered this question a thousand times, but I can't find it by searching. What is the best way to get IE to use a smaller font size? I've tried the method described in the CSS tutorial (using a combination of % and em), I've tried using a separate CSS sheet, using *, using child-parent hacks, etc. None of these make any changes in IE (I'm using IE8). Can you all direct me to some current information? The website I'm trying to fix is clgolden.net. Thanks for your help.Update: I have been able to get conditional comments to work.

Edited by CLGolden

• 3 months later...
Well you guys must be happy ie will no longer be irremovable well at least in the eu.
Almost irremovable. And not only in the EU. It will be removable to the point where the IE shell isn't going to be on the PC, but the engine is still going to be available in case any applications require it (and gadgets, by their definition, will require it). And, you can remove IE (to this extend) even on non N versions of Windows 7.The only special thing about the N version really is that it will display a "ballot" screen when the user first open up IE, and from that screen, the user may download another browser.

• 2 months later...

I love Opera. But the problem is that in Opera, something may display perfectly, but it is messed up in IE and FF (sometimes). I think IE is this best for web development because if it works in IE, then it will work in anything else. :)

I think IE is this best for web development because if it works in IE, then it will work in anything else.
That's … not always (or even usually) the case.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

usually using a Strict DTD and using the universal selector to reset all margins and paddings effectively reduces a large portion of encountered inconsistencies.

The best browsers are probably Firefox and Chrome my personal favorite is Chrome because I use some of Google's services.How many people use Opera anyways?

Edited by O_O

There aren't many of us Opera users, but those who use it tend to love it. I wouldn't use any other browser as my primary browser, the only reason I use Firefox is because of Firebug, and I only use Chrome to display API docs and things like that. I like to have my browsers dedicated for certain things, so Firefox contains whatever I'm working on, Chrome contains my references and documentation, and Opera is everything else. Since Firefox is now the slowest-performing Javascript browser if you count IE9, sometimes it's a little painful to work in.

I've used Opera before and liked it but settled on Chrome because of it's servicesI was just wondering if there was anybody out there who used it other than DSi, and Wii gamers

I recommend Firefox as a testing environment for all new developers (and even mid-life developers) because the built-in Error Console is easy to use and identifies most problems. It is not a sophisticated debugger, but that is its strength. There is almost no learning curve. If you want an easy debugging solution that detects most of your CSS and JS problems, you cannot beat the Firefox Error Console. Seriously. A huge number of "problems" that people bring to this board can easily be solved just by looking at your Error Console.The only "trick" is remembering to clear it before you load your page, because it is always on and records errors on EVERY page you visit. Your errors will be reported at the end, which is why many new developers don't even realize they are there. Clear the console, load your page, and look at the errors that apply to your page only. If you run a script in response to button clicks and so on, you may need to look at the console several times during the life of your page.Advanced developers require more advanced tools. That is not the point I am discussing in this post.

IE sucks. Over a month or two I'm trying make menu with ul tag. And CSS really makes me crazy. It's super with FF, Safari, Chrome, Opera, but IE. HATE IE DEVELOPERS!Is it hard to use standards...?

I had a problem with that before... But solved it.Yeah I agree with you I don't like IE at all either

IE sucks. Over a month or two I'm trying make menu with ul tag. And CSS really makes me crazy. It's super with FF, Safari, Chrome, Opera, but IE. HATE IE DEVELOPERS!Is it hard to use standards...?
Tried IE9 already? Have this problem with it too?

IE 9 released ?
Not an official release, but a platform preview (download link is on the page). It's not a full fledged browser, but a box with IE9's rendering engine in it, intented for web developers to see new features and debug any issues with their sites now as opposed to later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest markjames283

Sir,i m requested to you i m develope a new website .but few problem 1st problem is software exe. file attached code are i am not understand.if software are attached in me site easily but i m purchase are domain .faisalabad.freevar.com .but server error are always shown in me site page.please tell a solutions of this problem.thanksmuhammad usmanusman_shahnawaz@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

OK, this is kind of funny. I was reading this topic and really getting into the discussion and details of the arguments being said for a good 10-15 minutes... I then read this line "I don't use IE because it doesnt have tabbed windows" and I was like ¿¿¿What??? then quickly looked at the date, saw it was from 2006 and proceded to laugh at myself for a good minute.:) :) I thought it was funny! :):(