Browser Discussion

Jonas

Guest patrickdengler

I was wondering if the w3schools site's web page regardidng browser usage statistics is correct? Or perhaps it's for a particular region and I am not seeing that?

• 5 weeks later...
Anyone demoed IE9 yet. I haven't been impressed so far.
Considering IE's history, I am. Can't wait for the final version :) . With the exception of MathML and Web Workers, I'm having a hard time thinking of (stable enough) stuff they're missing.

I haven't examined it as far as a developer would as yet so more as a user. So far I've only looked at the interface and I will admit it has been made cleaner. I'm still green in the web development field as far as finished projects go but I would love to hear from you guys especially if you have generated any HTML5 content.

So far I've only looked at the interface and I will admit it has been made cleaner.
They made it look more like Opera, which is obviously becoming the future interface style for web browsers. :) On the HTML5 side of things, IE9 is the first in that family to support canvas. Here's a link to a list of features it supports. Just reading that list reminded me of/revealed many cool features of HTML5 (really JS, for the most part). AJAX history traversal...Geolocation API...Cross Document Messaging..inline SVG...bring it on!

They made it look more like Opera, which is obviously becoming the future interface style for web browsers. :) On the HTML5 side of things, IE9 is the first in that family to support canvas. Here's a link to a list of features it supports. Just reading that list reminded me of/revealed many cool features of HTML5 (really JS, for the most part). AJAX history traversal...Geolocation API...Cross Document Messaging..inline SVG...bring it on!
Yeah I'm excited about the canvas and the geo-location api too, I must admit. Year of the developer!
  • Like 15

It's just another way to do it. As the most recent article on my blog demonstrated, there are APIs available that do it all behind that scenes with PHP. Three disadvantages of the HTML5 GeoLocation API:1. Javascript must be enabled for it to work. 2. It can only work in supportive browsers.3. It requires the user's consent (as the spec states)Nonetheless, is a cool feature.

Edited by Fmdpa

Yeah a lookup on an ip is pretty simple but the potential to integrate a map more deeper with a web site (say a map that multiple visitors can interact with at the same time for example) through Javascript and HTML is what attracts me. I know there are different map apis out there but I prefer things when they are standard, it saves me a lot of time spent on research and learning.Good links on your site though I'm bookmarking them.

I know there are different map apis out there but I prefer things when they are standard, it saves me a lot of time spent on research and learning.
I definitely agree with you there! I try to avoid APIs myself unless there is absolutely no way to do the same thing in "standard code" easily.
Good links on your site though I'm bookmarking them.
Thanks, I just wanted to share the websites I've found most useful so they can benefit others who haven't found them yet (speaking from personal experience)!

• 1 month later...

Okay guys, I've just downloaded Firefox 4.I like the look and feel, but to me, by and large, things seem much the same as Firefox 3.5. Slightly improved look, smoother page loading, but not a massive amount of difference.Other views?Mark :)

About Firefox 4. I've been playing around with the new Web Console. As advertised, it's not Firebug. But it's more useful, I think, than the Error Console. A lot more information is available. And it still provides a JS line editor, which makes me very happy. :)

About Firefox 4. I've been playing around with the new Web Console. As advertised, it's not Firebug. But it's more useful, I think, than the Error Console. A lot more information is available. And it still provides a JS line editor, which makes me very happy. :)
Don't forget firebug 1.7 is out also. Since the last security updates I've been getting some crashes on ff3.6 when trying to view the JavaScript call stack.Mark H firefox now lets you group tabs using drag and drop. You can also add icons for your plugins on your toolbar and they made some updates to sync. My ff is bloated with plugins andto be honest its still slow even with ff4. Time for some spring cleaning. Edited by sansana

Here is a link to a full ff4 review. The similarity in look between Opera and Firefox now is kind of creepy.

Here is a link to a full ff4 review. The similarity in look between Opera and Firefox now is kind of creepy.
that's exactly what I was saying to one of my co-workers during a study group conference call this week. I told him how much the new FF tabs looked like Opera tabs, but he said I just used Opera too much. I said I only use it for testing, but one distinctive UI aspect of Opera was how it's tabs looked. Now FF's look like it almost exactly.

Well I read on a blog somewhere that firefox's tabs etc. had this look since early development. I'm sure this is going to spark debate on the web but I don't consider it a rip off. The web browsers needs some consistency.

The similarity in look between Opera and Firefox now is kind of creepy.
Yeah...The only thing that I liked a lot in FF4 (over other browsers) was the addons browser. Edited by Fmdpa

Don't forget firebug 1.7 is out also. Since the last security updates I've been getting some crashes on ff3.6 when trying to view the JavaScript call stack.Mark H firefox now lets you group tabs using drag and drop. You can also add icons for your plugins on your toolbar and they made some updates to sync. My ff is bloated with plugins andto be honest its still slow even with ff4. Time for some spring cleaning.
FireBug 1.7 seems to be a little bit laggy in comparison to its predecessor. Especially on the script tab. As I'm scrolling through my (couple thousand) lines of code it takes about a half second for it to refresh and display the code. With the older version it was smooth scrolling.As far as FF4, I am impressed with the improvements in load time (for the browser, not web pages). I too have FireFox loaded with plugins (no less than 14 extensions and 3 themes) and it loads a lot faster than 3.6 did. I think it actually compares decently with the other browsers.