Update 2 frames at same time?

sdow

I have a website with a frame layout. Top Frame is the Heading, Left frame is the Contents and the other frame is the main area. Links clicked in the content frame will display in the main frame.What I'm trying to do is when a link is clicked in the content frame, it changes the content frame to another menu. But when the content is changed to the other menu, I also want the main page updated too.e.gI have the 'home' menu which contains 'staff', 'pupils', 'school' (content1)I click 'staff' link in content1Content1 is changed to the staff menu (content2) E.G News, Events etcSo Content1 is replaced by content2, I'd like the main page to change to a staff 'home page' at the same time as the 'Staff' Link in contents 1 is clicked.Sorry I'm finding it difficult to describe. I hope you understand what I mean?Thank You.If I can't do that, I'll just use 'submenus'..maybe they are more user-friendly?

There is nothing wrong with frames (well, except for bookmark and history issues) except they can look pretty ugly with lots of scrollbars happening.If they are used properly they can be very subtle.I don't use frames, EVER! But if you are using just HTML it is about the only way to maintain serval menus without having to put one on everypage which makes for maintenance nightmares if you have a lot of pages. (ie. make chnage to menu, you have to update menu on every page)Anyways if you can use a scripting language (even if for no other reason except SSI [server side includes]) you could do away with frames and have an easily maintained site.

Hmm, frames is the only layout I know how to use..plus the website is for an intranet, so everyone has IE6. Why aren't frames good?Is there another way that will give me the same layout? Thanks

Before we stray into "why not frames" let me know how that solution works for you - its pretty easy to implement.aspnetguy mentions the main reasons for not using frames to which I would add that there are issues with navigation (everything needs a target defined and thats easy to overlook) plus search engines have issues spidering frames but then there is the issue when an engine picks up a content frame and there is no navigation, or even clue, as to where can go or where you are. I know you mentioned you're site is an intranet so search engines are not something you need to worry about, but once you venture out, it will be a consideration.Although frames were created for design functionality, they are a huge burdeon for the reasons listed. But they can be used very effectively in a number of different ways. One on the slickest ways I've seen it used is as a footer of a site - something that is only 50 pixels tall for instance - nice neat and out of the way but very accessible way to navigate and even ideal for a search box. :) So, use them wise if you choose to use them at all - mind your P's and Q's and you could make a beleiver out of us . . . well maybe not. :)

Before we stray into "why not frames" let me know how that solution works for you - its pretty easy to implement.
I did try that tutorial, but after copying and editing all my pages, they wouldn't work. So I obviously did something wrong! I think I'll just use drop down menus..it's easier and quicker!Thanks!