Make Website IE only

deejaybet

At the top of every page you could put this

<script>if(!(document.all)){   window.location = "errorMessagePage.html";}</script>

IE is the only browser that will process document.all since it is a MS DOM method and is not web standards compliant (neither is IE).Create a custom error page to explain why a user cannot browse the site without IE and replace errorMessagePage with the name of your custom page.Hope this helps

does anyone know a code that denies a user access to your website if they don't use IE as most coding in the site is IE based and other browsers don't support the certain coding.

I hope this requirement is not by choice and has to do with some legacy code issue. And do you need to shut out the entire site to non-IE users, or just certain pages - like ones using active x?

I would recommend rewriting the code to be compatible with all browsers, unless you it is for something like an intranet or something that has a controled enviroment where all target users have the requirments.

well the main code that i no definately doesnt work in other browsers is the code below

<script language=javascript>var normal="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz?*<>"var changed="αвcδзғgнijкιмησρqяѕтυνшxчz؟●«»"var haxxor="48(d3f9h!jk1mn0pqr57uvwxy2?*<>"function change(_in, _out, _hax){  var s="", hx="";  var n=_in.value.toLowerCase();  if (_in.value.length==0) return;    for(i=0; i<n.length; i++)  {    var c=n.charAt(i);    for(j=0; (j<normal.length)&&(c!=normal.charAt(j)); j++);    if (j<normal.length) {       s+=changed.charAt(j); hx+=haxxor.charAt(j); } else {      s+=c; hx+=c;    }  }  _out.value=s;  _hax.value=hx;}function breezah(_in, _out){  var s="";  var n=_in.value.toLowerCase();  if (_in.value.length==0) return;    for(i=0; i<n.length; i++)  {    var c=n.charAt(i);    s+=i%2?c:c.toUpperCase();  }    _out.value=s;}</SCRIPT>

unless someone can make that code compatible with out browsers, i have no oher choice but to block that page :):):( :Dps. the code is hard to explain so heres a link to the actual page (IE only)http://www.layer2hosting.com/~idesign/Phil...ges/msnname.htm

I'm glad it could be worked out. I for one will not help anyone exclude certain people from a website...

At least he is trying to tell them it will not work unless they have IE...I hate going to sites that don't "exclude" me and I fill out forms just to find it doesn't work and I wasted 10 minutes.And besides you don't know the purpose of hte site...may be it is a private intrnet and the clients don't care cuz they all use IE anyways.

I'm glad it could be worked out. I for one will not help anyone exclude certain people from a website...

I hear ya Jonas. Although if you're hands are tied due to legacy code (code written by a previous developer) then there isn't much of a choice.Case in Point. I recently redesigned and currently work on pedialink.org. This site was a mess!!! The legacy code is horrific - and that is being generous. The online payment system is even worse. There is code there that I am not allowed to touch (don;t ask why - longer story). So, I have no choice (once I redeveloped the site to be browser friednly - please still many issues to work out) but to sniff the browser and prevent users from checking out with anything other than IE or NN.Trust me - this is not what I want. And I have done EVERYTHING I can to get the powers that be to let me change this. But with a new checkout system launching in 5 months, they feel the work is not worth it (somewhat understanding of their point).So, my "work around" was this:http://www.pedialink.org/learnmore-view.cfm?show=8I'll help someone no matter what, but I will make sure that the reasoning is absolute, without question, the last resort.