Domain Name

vchris

Anyone got a good idea for a domain name? This site will be my portfolio and I will give this website address to potential clients. I'm thinking something that has to do with the word "binary" or "coding". I currently have deep coding as my website name. I don't think it fits that well. What you guys think about deep coding?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

choosing a name for a site/business can be hard. I have a few that I've thought over the years that I still have plans to use. Its whatever you feel works. I like tree frogs (or did until my step-mother decided I collected them and then everything I got from anyone was a freakin tree frog). Anyway, so I chose, iribbit. I - for internet and for me/I. and Ribbit cuz thats what frogs do. So "iribbit - do you?" came to be a slogan as well as "jump in to the the online experience" and that gave way to jumpin@iribbit.net. So several little play on words and i have a "cute" little brand.And that brings me to my point - branding establishes EVERYTHING about you. You could be the badest, meanest, most awesome programmer but a business name like "pussywillow productions" might not represent you that well.So think of not only the name but what you can do with it - both visually and textually - if your intent is to have it for a while.Instead of "Deep Coding" maybe "inCoding" and use "in" for internet and for the fact that what you do is "in" - you know hip, current, cool. In fact, the .net address is available:http://whois.domaintools.com/incoding.netThose are my initial thoughts. I'd give it more thought, but I have tons to do tonight - sorry.

I choose my domain based on my favorite language, if you couldn't tell. It is very hard to decide on a name because once you choose it you are stuck with it (you become associated with it).I don't have much advice on choosing one but make sure you will be happy with it in the long term.

How about www.011101100110001101101000011100100110100101110011.com? It's your name in binary, what could be easier to remember then that?
Just about anything :)I thought about binaries but I don't know it's kinda hard for someone to remember 101101 or was it 010010 you know. There should probably be a 2 at the end to confuse people.

www.iistehleet.net?iis standing both for the server IIS, and for the grammatically incorrect "I is" (am). tehleet speaks for itself, no double entendres there...Of course, that domain name would work best if you're actually a .net leet and so code for iis... :)Wow, what started as a very unserious post suddenly became serious... :)

well I don't know what vchris.net is either but I like the fact that it is short, simple, and easy to remember. I'd go with that since it seems to fit more than anything else. Plus, I've told many clients to use a nickname or some version of their name (not too often their full name) since it doesn't lock you into that one thing. If you choose vchris.net your site could say you are a professional photographer on Sunday and if you have a mid live crisis and decide to be an auto mechanic, you just upload a new site - voila, instant career change.:-)

I think vchris.net takes it. Now don't you guys go and take it or else I'll have to be vchris.org :)I've started to work on something, I'll show you once I'm done with the design phase.

Personally I hate .ca domains. they are way over priced. Only good thing is you can get a domain that is already taken in .comI always go for a .com, from a business stand point it is generally more appealing to people out side of canada then a .ca

I'm designing in PS right now and the theme is something modern. Probably a bit dark, not sure yet. The content will be all my designs, resume and stuff. It's a portfolio.