Hi,

Pradyumna

How long have you been using SQL????To be hired as a DBA you will probably need at least 2 years experience amnging live databases.Search monster.com for job opertunities, by doing this you will also see what is needed to get a position in the industry.To be a DBA you will need to be an expert in SQL, TSQL or PLSQL, Stored procedures, triggers, database security, users, roles, and many more important features on databases.Information is worth lots of $$. Nobody is going to trust this with someone without the proper experience and training.

I would have to agree with aspnetguy and Skemcin. I would also add, one of the quickest ways to gain their trust is by either getting certified, taking many classes in college, or actually doing the work for a company (although under a different title usually). For instance, at the company I work for, one of the developers worked with the DBA a lot over the past year or two on a new Data Model project and now he has plenty of experience and knowledge to get a job as a DBA if he chooses.Now don't think you must learn all about Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, etc. in order to be a DBA, you just need to be an expert in one of them. At that point, most employers will know that you can quickly get up to speed on the other databases if needed.Best of luck at it though, :).

one is sufficient although specific companies may want experience in their system, while others will accept experience in any major system and get you to catch up to other systems

Very true, I just didn't want to discourage him by making him think that he had to learn all of them before he could be a DBA, if that is what he really wants to go after.