The Future of IT programming in US?

JohnCP

Hey all, I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me on this topic. I have just started a new job as a Java Developer, and lately the whole outsourcing craze has gone up to a whole new level. Where do you guys see IT programming within the US in the future? I am asking since I am having thoughts about switching fields? Thanks, JCP

Well, I am hoping that it does not go the way of Pc parts manufacteuring...companies like dell, ibm, Hp all outsource at least some of their parts manufacteuring to countries like china where workers are in sweat shop conditions...why do you think dell is so cheap...lolpersonally I don't know the future of it programming...I just started a job as a asp.net and C# developer a year ago. I am in Canada, but that will probably have little effect on whether my job gets outsourced.IMO it will be the big companies that will jump into outsourcing, if anyone does, and small firms will stick to local employees.Thats just my opinion though.:)

As more and more americans become more and more spoiled, we/they will tend to feel lower paying jobs are "beneath" them. :) this will continue to lead to the unfortunate trend where Americans will not take certain jobs (i.e. trash collector, fast food clerk, landscaping, etc.). There will be a time when Americans have become so self absorbed and the capitalist society that it gave brith to will catch up to it in the end and we/they will only be seeking executive positions. If the education system catches up to this greedy trend, the demise will only come more quickly.The moral of my opinion, work fast and hard to reach the top and get out before the government finds your accounting error.Or, be grounded and live happily with what ever (little or great) you have. I, personally, love the middle class - and I will likely remain here - no pressure from being at the bottom trying to sratch my way out, and not pressure from the top to make big money and big mistakes (I've been in both places).

Or, be grounded and live happily with what ever (little or great) you have.  I, personally, love the middle class - and I will likely remain here - no pressure from being at the bottom trying to sratch my way out, and not pressure from the top to make big money and big mistakes (I've been in both places).

Agreed, middle class is nice....Now to answer the original question, I have read many articles concerning this and one of the most interesting was an article discussing how a lot of companies are starting to get away from outsourcing for the following reasons:1. Time of support (those in India and other countries are not always available during the companies operating hours)2. Communication barrier between cultures and languages3. Not looked well upon by many in the US nowSo the solution to this for some companies is to not outsource but to move the projects to states like Alabama, Mississippi, Kansas, and so on, where the tech industry has not driven up prices, and the cost-of-living is lower, therefore employees salaries would be lower as well. For them, it is a win-win and some are working with local universities in those areas to get professors doing research in those areas and training the students accordingly. (For reference, this information comes from SDTimes, can't remember the issue, but it was within the last 2 months)