<object> vs <embed>

SmokingMan

I have a page that uses the <embed> tag to play a music file for a slideshow. In trying to convert the page to XHTML 1.0 Strict, I see that the <embed> tag has been deprecated and that I should be using the <object> tag. I've tried looking at all of the references I can find, but I'm having some trouble understanding what attributes to use when referencing the file I want played. Do I use ClassID? Here's the code the way it's currently written:

<embed src="america2.mid" width="0" height="0" autostart="true" loop="false">

How would I use the <object> tag to point to "america2.midi" and only play it once? For some reason I'm a bit thick headed on this one and am having trouble understanding exactly how the <object> tag works.

The type attribute is optional but some browsers need it as far as I know.
Then would I use type="audio/wav" or type="audio/mp3" respectively depending on the type of media I wanted played?
The embed tag has never been part of any HTML specification by the way.
I know, but when I first started to learn how to code in HTML, I just wanted it to work. Standards, who needed standards? :) I'm now converting everthing to XHTML 1.0 Strict. This particular page was written nearly three years ago before I cared. I'm not in the habit of having background music, so I only used the <embed> tag this one time for slideshow background music.

I ran into a problem with this. When I went to play the slideshow, it launches Windows Media Player when the page loads. It used to play the music without the media player. I need this music to play in the background while the slideshow plays. And I need it to end when it plays through one time. The slideshow is timed to end at the same time the music ends. Here's the code at this point:

<object data="america2.mid" type="audio/midi" height="0" width="0"></object>

Any suggestions?

Better use XHTML 1.1. Differences from XHTML 1.0 Strict:No more lang attribute, removed in favor of xml:lang (same thing).No more name attribute, removed in favor of id (same thing, better because shorter).Shorter doctype. Maybe other diffs, but a few.

Only as an XML language, not supported by IE.SmokingMan, that must be because you don't have QuickTime set as the browser plugin to read sound like me... Stupid WMplayer. I don't know what you could do, but there's probably a way around it.

I could run the slideshow images and soundtrack through my video editor and create a .wmv file that will play in WMP. I only wanted to bring this page up to sandards and let the slideshow play in the page as it already does. If this <object> tag is going to launch a media player seperate from the slideshow, then I either leave the page as is, or redo the show and create the .wmv file. Any suggestions?Here's the URL of the page:http://neverforget.ftwin.com/forgotten/forgotten.html

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Snapafun

Got the answer yet ?I'm a complete newbie here but choose to validate as I go but have run into the same problem as posted here.I wish to validate as xhtml1.0 Transitional the following line:<embed src=mamadont.mid style="width:120px;height:25px;" />The result I am after is here: www.snapafun.co.nz/whgrnr.html The above syntax works exactly as I require ~ but of course, not able to validate.This is the last line left to validate but like here, I'm unable to get it to work. I have tried:<objectclassid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"><param name="FileName" value="mamadont.mid" /></object>I am trying to get it to render with Firefox, Mozilla, Opera and lastly - IE6.( IE6 is not the priority here.)Any further suggestions anyone ?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mrwhite
<object data="mamadont.mid" type="audio/midi"><param name="audio" value="mamadont.mid" /></object>

This might not work on IE, but as it's not a priority...

I've tried to use that code on an xhtml transitional page, and it doesn't doesn't work in either of my web browsers (IE or Firefox). Does anyone know why?