how about a .htaccess section on the site?

Eric

True, but when you think about it, there isn't anything on W3Schools that isn't covered other places :)(X)HTML -> w3.orgPHP -> php.netASP -> asp.netAnd I could list others, but why bother :)W3Schools is like "one-stop shopping" you don't have to go to different sites to read info about something :(So why should .htaccess be any different?

I'd think most folks would consider SQL as a scripting language, it does stand for Structured Query Language. So it is a language where .htaccess is (as you mention) a set of commands. If anything, HTML is probably furthest from a language when considering them all - I mean it can't DO anything.:)

Umm... HTML does DO things. It defines Data. It can't add x+y but it can tell you that they are variables. It can't explain what you are defining but it can tell you that something is a definition. It isn't moving mountains but it is still doing something.

HTML is NOT a language that does anything. The definition of 'doing something' in web-languages is 'thinking' for itself. HTML is like the opposite of XML - XML holds data, HTML displays it.

HTML is NOT a language that does anything. The definition of 'doing something' in web-languages is 'thinking' for itself. HTML is like the opposite of XML - XML holds data, HTML displays it.

Well "displaying" data is DOING something.What the "something" it is DOING is displaying data :)So the HyperText Markup Language does do something :)So there you go."HTML is NOT a language that does anything" should be changed to "HTML is a language that does something" :(

Hmph. I still don't agree. :)

SQL is a set of commands sent to the daemon, the daemon retreives values.HTML is used to render pages by telling the interpreter what is where and how.Apache Configuration should be added, because it is a set of commands changing the daemon's activities. And it's darn helpful.JSP could be another idea.High level languages like C++ of course would have no value here; they are not for the web..htaccess IS for the web; it's configuring your site.You could put php.ini and .htaccess together, maybe make a "Server Configuration" part.

I completely agree that there should be .htacces tutorial here. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the admin could actually reply to this and give the final answer.

Let me rephrase myself. I agree that there should be an htaccess section. Why stop making tutorials, make W3S the best it can be! But I still don't agree that HTML actually does anything. Hmph. :)

I still think a .htaccess section would be a good idea.There are many things you can do with .htaccess

• you can change the content type of webpages (content type isn't determinded by a <meta> tag like most people think, it's determinded by the header your server outputs.)
  • you can set-up "guessable" urls (let us say you have a website that teaches CSS, someone may come to your site knowing this and put yoursite.com/css and get a 404 page because the real url is yoursite.com/stylesheet you can have /css redirect to /stylesheet making a "guessable" url. people "guessed" it was /css when it was really /stylesheet and since .htaccess redirected them, they don't get a nasty 404 page
  • you can set-up password protected directories with .htaccess and .htpasswd
  • you can set-up hotlink protection
  • you can set-up "url masking"
  • you can add MIME extensions (maybe you want .html to parse PHP?)
  • you can do more things than just the basics that people associate .htaccess files with

The problem is htaccess is Linux and Apache only. Windows Server Fools will be left out.

If they're foolish enough to get a Windows Server, then oh well :)Windows Servers lack the security of an Apache server anyway.(Don't all jump on me, I just heard from other sites it has less security than Apache)

Yep, because lots of people working on them. Someone will most likely notice something some other person left unsecure and patch it up.With non-open source products (like Microsoft Office where only 1 "group" of people are working on it) security holes are left open often.