IE woes

dhracer

Hi guys,I've written a quick website and I've done some testing. It's validated xhtml1.1 and the stylesheet is also validated.I've tested in firefox on linux and windows, and opera too. Everything is perfect. In IE6 The first <li> item in the menu doesn't have it's picture displayed and when you mouseover it half of the picture for the <li> below is obscured for some reason. :( Can anyone help me? I'm really tired of working specially to get things to work in IE, I wish this POS browser would just die :D The url is www.tenshadesofgreen.co.uk :) Thanks :)

I have run into this problem in IE many times...I have yet to find a fix for it. All I can suggest is go all the way with javascript for image swapping.IE6 doesn't fully support CSS2, this is likely the cause of the problem.We all wish IE would die, but I don't think that will happen, too soon.

Commenting the following line recovered somewhat.I also would like to cast a vote against IE, nice to notice in the browser-stats that it's losing it's popularity somewhat.

#menu{ width: 150px; float: left; color: #333333;  /* position: relative; */ }

Good Luck, :)

XHTML 1.1 as HTML text = no-noUse XHTML 1.0 Strict instead.Also, instead of JavaScript, you should try just to use padding-left on your links and a background-image. Then using the :hover pseudo-class, make it so that the background-image changes. I usually never have IE problems with that (except IE 5.0 that doesn't like padding on inline elements...).

Thanks for the info guys.Will update the DTD to 1.0 then, why is 1.1 a no-no by the way?I did use hover originally, but I found that when you unhovered the links and images stayed in their hover state so I went with the JS.

XHTML 1.1 as HTML text = no-noUse XHTML 1.0 Strict instead.Also, instead of JavaScript, you should try just to use padding-left on your links and a background-image. Then using the :hover pseudo-class, make it so that the background-image changes. I usually never have IE problems with that (except IE 5.0 that doesn't like padding on inline elements...).

1.1 is supposed to be written as xhtml-xml not text/html (so say the purists). Another reason is that IE doesn't understand xhtml-xml and switchs to Quirks Mode and you lose all the benefit of 1.1. It is easier to keep it consistent across all browsers by using 1.0 (or so I am told, I haven't really researched it much)

Will update the DTD to 1.0 then, why is 1.1 a no-no by the way?
Because it is an XML only.http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media...020801/#summaryXHTML 1.0 may be used with the text/html MIME type (.html, .htm extensions) for compatibility reasons, as long as you follow Appendix C of the spec, but this makes XHTML totally unextensible and therefore loses its purpose, which is why the W3C decided to make every new version of XHTML application/xhtml+xml (.xhtml, .xht extensions) only (and other generic XML MIME types (.xml extension for example)).

I've written a quick website and I've done some testing.  It's validated xhtml1.1 and the stylesheet is also validated.

If you're using XHTML 1.1 correctly then it shouldn't even be working in IE :) The XHTML 1.0 specification makes it clear that "application/xhtml+xml" is the only truly correct content type for XHTML, but it also allows websites to send the document as "text/html" as long as certain compatibility guidelines are followed. This provision only applies to XHTML 1.0. According to the specification, XHTML 1.1 must be sent as "application/xhtml+xml" or one of the other XML content types, not "text/html". Any website sending a document labeled XHTML 1.1 as "text/html" is in violation of the specification.Internet Explorer only works correctly when sending as text/html. :)Btw, as an example, try viewing this page in various browsers, it won't work in IEhttp://clifford.excelitehost.com/xhtml11test.php

you do not change your .html to .xhtml to write XHTML you just use the XHTML DOCTYPE.

Wrong. Using the XHTML DOCTYPE with a .html extension is for HTML compatibility mode, so that your page can work in most browsers and will only need you to change the extension or the MIME type through your server settings if you want to use true XHTML in the future.Anyway, we're really off-topic here.EDIT:
ah I see, so at some point does this mean all .html pages will have to be renamed to .xhtml and browsers will have to cope with this?
Yeah, if you want to use XHTML that is, this should have been the case in 1999 but IE really is slow. Edited by F-Man