DTD / Content help

JIH2000

Hi,I'd appreciate a fresh pair of eyes on this short peice of code, i'm using an editor which says there's something wrong with: <Protocol ID="1"> Saying: A name was started with an invalid character...Any ideas??Thanks in advance. :) <!DOCTYPE Protocols [ <!ELEMENT Protocols (Protocol)> <!ELEMENT Protocol (Title, Category, Keywords, Uses, Description, Requirements, Method)> <!ATTLIST Protocol ID ID #REQUIRED> <!ELEMENT Title (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Category (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Keywords (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Uses (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Description (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Requirements (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Method (#PCDATA)>]><Protocols> <Protocol ID="1"> <Title> </Title> <Category> </Category> <Keywords> </Keywords> <Uses> </Uses> <Description> </Description> <Requirements> </Requirements> <Method> </Method> </Protocol ID="1"></Protocols>

Try: <Protocol ID="a1">Not sure whether you can start id's with numbers.

I just tried a1 as you suggested, but that didn't work... I also tried to use IE to view the XML but it gives me the same error, even when i change the line and the DTD to:<!DOCTYPE Protocols [ <!ELEMENT Protocols (Protocol)> <!ELEMENT Protocol (Title, Category, Keywords, Uses, Description, Requirements, Method)> <!ATTLIST Protocol number ID #REQUIRED> <!ELEMENT Title (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Category (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Keywords (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Uses (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Description (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Requirements (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT Method (#PCDATA)>]><Protocols> <Protocol number="1"> <Title> </Title> <Category> </Category> <Keywords> </Keywords> <Uses> </Uses> <Description> </Description> <Requirements> </Requirements> <Method> </Method> </Protocol number ="1"></Protocols>A name contained an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///D:/Jim/Documents/IT/Protocols.xml'. Line 24, Pos...</Protocol number ="1">------------^Can anyone help? Please... :)

I think the problem is because you've included the protocol number in the end tag. Would it be at all possible to remove it? If so, I should think it would fix the problem.

Thanks! that seemed to solve the problem, although i think half the problem was because i was using Xray's XML editor v0.9 (couldn't d/l v2.0) to parse my code. It kept giving the error:<Protocol ID="1"> -----------^A name was started with an invalid character...It wasn't until i tested in IE that it threw the correct error </Protocol ID ="1">------------^I have just switched to XMLpad - brilliant, recommended! It even generates a DTD from your code or a .xml template from your DTD / Schema!! (and it's free :))Thanks again to everyone who helped.For anyone else reading this my code now reads:Seperate DTD
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!--Generated by WMHelp XMLPad for Protocols. (C) 2004-2005, WMHelp Software.--><!ELEMENT Protocols (Protocol+)><!ELEMENT Protocol (Title, Category, Keywords, Uses, Description, Requirements, Method)><!ATTLIST Protocol ID ID #REQUIRED><!ELEMENT Title (#PCDATA)><!ELEMENT Category (#PCDATA)><!ELEMENT Keywords (#PCDATA)><!ELEMENT Uses (#PCDATA)><!ELEMENT Description (#PCDATA)><!ELEMENT Requirements (#PCDATA)><!ELEMENT Method (#PCDATA)>

XML file

<!DOCTYPE Protocols SYSTEM "file:///D:/Documents/Work Stuff/Protocols-schema.dtd"><Protocols>	<Protocol ID="1">  <Title> </Title>  <Category> </Category>  <Keywords> </Keywords>  <Uses> </Uses>  <Description> </Description>  <Requirements> </Requirements>  <Method>  </Method>	</Protocol> <Protocol ID="2">  <Title> </Title>  <Category> </Category>  <Keywords> </Keywords>  <Uses> </Uses>  <Description> </Description>  <Requirements> </Requirements>  <Method>  </Method>	</Protocol>	</Protocols>