more help

OTTO

To host websites, I think you need to get a resellers plan at a webhost.It considerably more expensive than a regular plan.That is, unless you have your own server and can host sites on it. This would also depend on your ISP, some will prevent you from running your own server by blocking ports to it.

Apache is a good start. It's the most used server software.Then if you want to use server-side scripts, like PHP then you have to download that from php.net and install it.Same thing if you're planning on using a database like MySQLAnd if you'll probably going to want to register a domain name so you don't have to use your IP address to access your site.Also, if you buy a backup system at a your local store that would be a good idea, just incase your computer frys you'll have backups of your server files.

ok, lets clarify a couple things about this business venture:

• you will need to legal establish your business - license, ank accounts, etc.
  • you will need to market yourself, get new customers
  • you will need to meet with them and kiss their a$$
  • you will need to build the web pages/applications
  • you will need to provide support and service after the site launches
  • you will need to find new business all the while

Now, on top of all that you want to HOST the sites yourself? Trust me - unless you have a deep pocket, you have figured out a way to stay awake 24/7, and you are hooked up to a feeding tube you will not be able to do it. And if you still want to try it, then don't offer your design and development services. If you get into hosting for your clients as well, then you will never sleep. You will need redundant servers, you will need backups of your sites run twice a day, you will need redundant internet connections so if one fails ALL your clients don't go off line. There is so much involved in hosting - so much more than just design and development.So, let me put it this way, if you want to design sites, develop sites, and host sites . . . you are bitting off more than you can chew.I'm not saying that you can eventually do it - I'm just saying that starting off that way is suicide. Not one successfull company I know started off doing more that one thing until it matured into those areas.Outsource your hosting - at CrystalTech.com, they give you up to 30% off hosting if you keep using their services.I'm done . . .

if you want to cheeseball your way into the industry - by all means, build your site on your local computer - open you firewall to the world and auto-forwar your domain name to your home PC - just don't keep anything on that network that you wouldn't miss.Many many poeple have posted here inquiring (in one way or another) how to save money and do things themselves. And that is very applaudable to have hte motivation. But, at some point you have to come to grips with the truth - no one person can do it all on their own.Even if you are successfull setting this up at home on your own, you will no sooner be managing everything and nolonger developing. then you'll have to go find a developer who will work for dirt cheap "until you can afford to pay more" since you've been wokring for dirt cheap your self by putting everything back into the company . . . hmmm this whole story is sounding familiar . . .Anyway, you can't do it all - so do what you can do - develop or host - pick one. Anymore and its a headache or a heartattack.Respectfully,Skemcin

Everything in this world cost money :)I have a small personal server set up on my computer, and all I use it for is to test new webdesigns before I upload them to a external webhost I pay monthly.Why pay someone when I could host my own site?

• Well the cost of a high electric bill running my computer 24/7 so others would have access.
  • The chance of the computer crashing and my site being down for hours, or even days
  • other problems

For my sites, I'd rather have big companies host them for me.

the only point ot make is that you used the word "modem" to describe the internet connection you plan on using for a server. I am hoping that you meant to say something with a little more speed than any modem out there - eve if it is a DSL modem.Most "resident" accounts do not offer the same upload speed as they to for download. Since the typical residential customer (which is what you would be) gets less than half upload speed when compared to download. Your upload speed is what is important for serving pages to others since it is your intent to upload pages to the internet for others to download.So there is that to consider, plus you up time, plus your crisis management time, plus risk to exposing your network at home to the outside world (which is not very nice), plus so much more. I think I've said most of what needs to be said. The money I save with using my reseller discounts actually buys me two hosting service and the domain names that go along with it. And, that is because I planned it that way. Was it this thread that I harped on planning as being so important - maybe not, ahh, here is my post about planning:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...findpost&p=7343Anyway - I may come off a little harsh - but I'm nothing compared to hwo it is in the real world. I ran a web design business for over 3 years and still do independant work - I'm not making this up.:)

your error during your cold fusion server is due to the fact that you must not have Microsoft IIS running. So, when you install Cold Fusion, you will have to select a different webserver (i.e. Apache if it is installed) or just use the one that Cold Fusion provides.Once you have all the other stuff installed, then you will need to move files into the folder(s) that are associated with your web server. Then you can try accessing then from a web page by typing http://localhost/myfolder or an number of different IP Addresses depending on your situation.If you are behind a firewall - using a high speed internet connection through router - then you will need to open your router to your pc in order to gain access to your server externally.Once again, I willl suggest you read this post:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...findpost&p=5355it has all the other details you will need to know.

ok how do i put content on my server?

C:\Uniform Server\diskw\wwwAssuming you saved the folder in [C]If you saved it to your desktop then it would beC:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Desktop\Uniform Server\diskw\wwwBascally, whereever you saved it, look in diskw -> wwwAdd content to the "www" folderAlso, if you want others to access the server, open up the .htaccess file that comes with it and either comment out, or delete completly these lines:Order Deny,AllowDeny from allAllow from 127.0.0.1That's automatcally added to prevent others from access the server, so comment them out to allow others to access it.

You can always use your IP adress. locallhost is a fixed path that only refers to your computer. Any other person that has a server on his PC and types localhost will see his own server instead of yours.As for how to change the IP to be of a particular name or anything else on that matter- You must register your IP as a domain. There are many registars on the web that can do this, all in different pricez for diffenrent extensions(.com, .net, .org, etc.).

If you have a static Ip address nad you leave your pc on 24/7 (and dont use it) your friends can connect to your website through the ip address. If you are not using a windows server family or linux equiv. then you are probably limited to 5 simaltaneuos users.If you are using your pc (for games especially) then the sites will be super slow if they load at all.You could register a domain and point it at the ipaddress.BUT...chanaces are you do m=not have a static IP address unless you pay extra to have one. Regular residental accounts have dynamic Ips ehich means they are changing all the time. This means your website would be inaccessable everytime the ip change suntil you tell your friends the new one or change your domain settings which can take 1 - 48 hours to take effect.Again you can get dirt cheap hosting accounts (even free ad supported ones) which are far better...usually hosting packages come witha free domain name.