Web address

Guest gunryuujin

Guest gunryuujin

I have a question,I am making a web site/forum. I am curious, when scripting it, where do I put the website address and how do I do it.Here's the code:<html><head><title>Phoenix Pinion</title></head><body><body bgcolor=#404040><table><table border="2"bgcolor="red"><tr><td>Annoucements</td><td>Replies</td><td>Last Updated</td></tr><tr><td>General Discussion</td><td>Command Section</td> Respectfully,Gunryuujin

umm...hi, welcome to the board.to be honest, i think you have the wrong idea completely about forums and websites.however, we're here to help you so dont worry.about your website address. you need find a server to host your website. you can either buy a domain such as www.w3schools.com (but thats obviously taken), or, go for a free website where they add their web address along with yours such as - http://somefreewebsite.yoursitename.comyou dont put it anywhere in your website, unless you want to remind people where they are by sticking it in a header or a top logo or something.as for your forum, i highly doubt that 99% people on this forum could code an entire forum such as the one we're on now. this board is an invision board, like it says at the bottom of every page on this forum. theres also phpbb and ipb boards, all 3 are very good as i've worked with them all. however, some cost money, some are free and take alot of work to set up and customise, but its worth it in the end.hope that helps a little :)

Why do you have 2 <body> elements?You're only supposed to have 1 per document.

<body><body bgcolor=#404040>
Here is a basic example of a correct structure:
<html><head><title></title></head><body></body></html>

Of course, there are other elements that can go in the head like <link>, <meta>, <style>, etc. but the above is the "basic" strucutre of a HTML document. :)

One more thing to explain in HTML (if you have looked at Eric's example, you probably noticed it): Close your "main" tags-

</body></html>

Also, try learning and studying CSS. You won't regret it.And a small correction to real_illusions' post. Subdomains (domain allocated in a domain) are called like this:

your-site-name.your-host-name.com

I think you want to use meta tags they are useless when you start html encoding. they contain all the information of the page if, for expample you want to be referanced by google.to leran about thease you sould look on the page of another site to know what kind of imformation you should put in there.if you want your page to appear at a certain adress you are wrong, it is not imformation part of the page it is just a question of hosting. depending on the place where it is hosted, it will have a differant adress.

of course gunryuujin might just be looking for this:

...<td><a href="[webaddresshere]">Annoucements</a></td><td><a href="[webaddresshere]">Replies</a></td><td><a href="[webaddresshere]">Last Updated</a></td></tr><tr><td><a href="[webaddresshere]">General Discussion</a></td><td><a href="[webaddresshere]">Command Section</a></td>...

or maybe not

I agree... to make a disscussion board you will need to know some server side scripting like you will find Herebut first you need to know more html and learn css before you make the bigstep to server side scripting. it will be easyer then to make the disscussion board :)

But don't let all this complication and good advice put you off! There are free hosting and domains to find if you look, free html editors and ftp programs to download, free tuition from sites like W3 Schools. Don't forget - the greatest website started with a single 'Hello World'.Plantigrade

But don't let all this complication and good advice put you off!  There are free hosting and domains to find if you look,  free html editors and ftp programs to download, free tuition from sites like W3 Schools.  Don't forget - the greatest website started with a single 'Hello World'.Plantigrade

:) I doubt microsoft started there website from a Hello World....

I think you want to use meta tags they are useless when you start html encoding. they contain all the information of the page if, for expample you want to be referanced by google.
Google doesn't even use meta tags anymore :)A lot of major search engines have turned away from using meta tags for a much more advanced method of indexing pages on their engines.The main reason for this was people would abuse the meta tags (add more keywords that were needed, and often used keywords that had nothing to do with the site itself)