HTML Dom

mot0

Even when you put 0 it still doesn't reconize when you click the MIDDLE button >_>Dom is stupid, it's just a fancy word for JavaScript.There are a lot of stupid terms, like:DOMDHTMLAJAXetc.All of them are just fancy words for other things.

DOM is just the Document Object Model of Javascript, DHTML is just a combo of HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and AJAX is just a method for Javascript, using the XML Request Object, to interact with server side code.Just stupid buzz words that can confuse people as to what it really means.

DOM is just the Document Object Model of Javascript, DHTML is just a combo of HTML, CSS, and Javascript, and AJAX is just a method for Javascript, using the XML Request Object, to interact with server side code.Just stupid buzz words that can confuse people as to what it really means.

Exactly :) "stupid terms" "stupid buzz words" same thing :) I wish they were never thought-up, keep it simple.Call it what it is, if you're using JS don't call it DOM just because it can interact in a certain way, JS was made to interact a certain way, it has for years before the word "DOM" was around.

Exactly :) "stupid terms"  "stupid buzz words" same thing :) I wish they were never thought-up, keep it simple.Call it what it is, if you're using JS don't call it DOM just because it can interact in a certain way, JS was made to interact a certain way, it has for years before the word "DOM" was around.

so true!!!! :(

That is nice of you two to agree on something that does not matter. It is just a name of course...I was just pointing out a mistake in the coding. Under "HTML Dom". Not Javascript, HTML, CSS, etc. but "HTML Dom".

The example works fine in IE...it is messed up for FF though.Left mouse says..you click right mouse button, right mouse says you clicked right mouse button and middle mouse says you clicked left mouse button.So there needs to be some browser/object detection in there to get it to work in both browsers. Doing the change you suggested makes it break in IE.

For those of you dismissing DHTML, look here:http://walterzorn.com/I know it's the name you don't like, since, in itself it is not a language, but rather a combination of languages. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea dividing things up a bit, for different uses. DOM is a part of JavaScript, I know you say javascript's purpose was always to (temporarily) change a html page, but there are special functions in javascript for DOM, you know. Like, document.getElementById('id_name').something="". Then there are functions like if, else, for, while etc. In the page above it makes sense calling it DHTML, cause it's REALLY dynamic, sort of. I just LOVE the drag&drop section. All the images are draggable. :)Me and the poster Bjørnar (rarely signs on) did a project in VB where we made a game called SubWars (SubmarineWars). Our teacher liked it a lot and wanted us to convert it to javascript, so he could put it on the school website. That website becomes dead necessary in doing that, getting the boat to move when pressing the direction buttons and stuff. We even have a cheat console. :)

I just think it is misleading...the HTML is not dynamic...javascript is used to manipulate it....IMO that is why we get newbies asking how to make applications in HTML....they are confused as to what HTML is compared to Javascript, etc and what they each do.I am not dismissing DHTML....I just hink we should call it what it really is...JavaScript.

I just think it is misleading...the HTML is not dynamic...javascript is used to manipulate it....IMO that is why we get newbies asking how to make applications in HTML....they are confused as to what HTML is compared to Javascript, etc and what they each do.I am not dismissing DHTML....I just hink we should call it what it really is...JavaScript.

Exactly :)I have a nav menu that displays extra text when you hover over the hyperlinks. But I'd never call that "DHTML" because it's not "Dynamic HTML", since HTML can only be Static.I do however say what it really is "I have some JavaScript that triggers text to apear when you hover over the links, CSS to position the text and also hide it when not triggered, and HTML <div> elements to contain the text"But I'd never ever say "I'm using DHTML to make this happen" because, in my opinion, that's just wrong.

Exactly :)I have a nav menu that displays extra text when you hover over the hyperlinks.  But I'd never call that "DHTML" because it's not "Dynamic HTML", since HTML can only be Static.I do however say what it really is "I have some JavaScript that triggers text to apear when you hover over the links, CSS to position the text and also hide it when not triggered, and HTML <div> elements to contain the text"But I'd never ever say "I'm using DHTML to make this happen" because, in my opinion, that's just wrong.

THANK YOU!!! :)