Insert into database

choobakka

i have followed the ADO tutorials on this site and im upto the last part. i would like to insert the changes made into the database.<html><head><title>Submit DataBase</title></head><body><h2>Submit to Database</h2><%on error resume nextset conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.open(server.mappath("disso1.mdb"))if Request.form("action")="Save" then CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID") sql="UPDATE tblCustomer SET CustomerID="' & Request.Form("CustomerID") & "'," sql=sql & "Last_Name='" & Request.Form("Last_Name") & "'," sql=sql & "First_Name='" & Request.Form("First_Name") & "'," sql=sql & "Address1='" & Request.Form("Address1") & "'," sql=sql & "Address2='" & Request.Form("Address2") & "'," sql=sql & "Address3='" & Request.Form("Address3") & "'," sql=sql & "Post_Code='" & Request.Form("Post_Code") & "'," sql=sql & "Telephone1='" & Request.Form("Telephone1") & "'," sql=sql & "Telephone2='" & Request.Form("Telephone2") & "'," WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID "' conn.Execute sql, Recordsaffected' if err <> 0 then' Response.Write("You do not have permission to update this database!")' else ' Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was updated.")' end if Response.Write("Submitting records has been disabled from this demo")end ifif Request.Form("action")="Delete" then CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID")' conn.Execute "DELETE FROM tblCustomer WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID, Recordsaffected' if err <> 0 then' Response.Write("You do not have permission to delete a record from this database!")' else ' Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was deleted.")' end if Response.Write("Deleting records has been disabled from this demo")end ifconn.close%></body></html>it is the last part (in red) which i am having difficulty with. everthing else works fine. i simply want the save and delete buttons to work. thanks in advance

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the line that actually executes the delete staement is commented out.Is the exact code that you cannot get to work????If so un comment the delete staement and let us know if it works or what errors you get.

everything upto the red code works. when i click on the save and delete buttons, the code is executed but i get a messaage saying that updating and deleteing is not allowed (ie i dont have the permission). all i need is to be able to get the Save and Delete buttons to execute successfully (ie Save or Delete from the database. at the moment, this is not the case.

The code with the 2 buttons is below:<%CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID")if CustomerID="" then response.endset conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.open(server.mappath("disso1.mdb"))set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")rs.Open "Select * from tblCustomer where tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID , conn%><html><head><title>Edit DataBase Table</title></head><body><h2>Edit Database Table</h2><form method="post" action="demo_db_submit.asp" target="_blank"><input name="CustomerID" type="hidden" value=<%=CustomerID%>><table bgcolor="#b0c4de"><%for each x in rs.Fields if x.name <> "no" and x.name <> "dateadded" then%> <tr> <td><%=x.name%> </td> <td><input name="<%=x.name%>" value="<%=x.value%>" size="20"></td> <%end ifnextrs.closeconn.close%></tr></table><br /><input type="submit" name="action" value="Save"><input type="submit" name="action" value="Delete"></form></body></html>

On the 2nd page place this piece of code as the first line in your ASP code..

Response.Write(Request.Form("action"))

This will show what values are really being sent as action. Click both buttons and post the values you get for each

I get the same messages as before.for the save button:Submit to DatabaseSubmitting records has been disabled from this demo for the delete button:Submit to DatabaseDeleting records has been disabled from this demo a new window opens which means that the buttons are executing to some extent. it is simply not INSERTING or DELETING from the database. maybe i am missing some code!

Do the records get deleted or not ?!?!if not: 1. try naming the buttons save/delete... 2. see if user "everyone" has the read/write capability for the database ! 3. check readonly attributes for that database or the containing folder...see what happens...

If you yourself go to the ADO demp page: http://www.w3schools.com/ado/ado_demo.aspclick on the link which says "List, edit, update, and delete database records"you are presented with the first ASP page.then click on any of the buttons within the table. this takes you to the second ASP page.on this page you are able to edit the current database data.THIS IS THE STAGE THAT I AM AT.if you then click on SAVE or DELETE you get a page that either says:Submit to DatabaseSubmitting records has been disabled from this demo orSubmit to DatabaseDeleting records has been disabled from this demo.this is exactly what i get when i click on the buttons.below is the code i have for the ASP page once either of the buttons is pressed:<html><head><title>Submit DataBase</title></head><body><h2>Submit to Database</h2><%on error resume nextset conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.open(server.mappath("disso1.mdb"))if Request.form("action")="Save" then CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID") sql="UPDATE tblCustomer SET CustomerID="' & Request.Form("CustomerID") & "'," sql=sql & "Last_Name='" & Request.Form("Last_Name") & "'," sql=sql & "First_Name='" & Request.Form("First_Name") & "'," sql=sql & "Address1='" & Request.Form("Address1") & "'," sql=sql & "Address2='" & Request.Form("Address2") & "'," sql=sql & "Address3='" & Request.Form("Address3") & "'," sql=sql & "Post_Code='" & Request.Form("Post_Code") & "'," sql=sql & "Telephone1='" & Request.Form("Telephone1") & "'," sql=sql & "Telephone2='" & Request.Form("Telephone2") & "'," WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID "' conn.Execute sql, Recordsaffected' if err <> 0 then' Response.Write("You do not have permission to update this database!")' else ' Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was updated.")' end if Response.Write("Submitting records has been disabled from this demo")end ifif Request.Form("action")="Delete" then CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID")' conn.Execute "DELETE FROM tblCustomer WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID, Recordsaffected' if err <> 0 then' Response.Write("You do not have permission to delete a record from this database!")' else ' Response.Write("Record number " & no & " was deleted.")' end if Response.Write("Deleting records has been disabled from this demo")end ifconn.close%></body></html>this ASP page however only results in either of the two messages mentioned above and there is no interaction with the database once either button is pressed.

dude, are u doing this on localhost or a server of your own? or are you doing it from their server?! maybe the database is readonly or there is a write privelledge needed.the code should work as it is!do this on your pc. insltall IIS and run it for your self

is the drive with the database ntfs or fat32 ?!if it is ntfs, right click the folder containing the database and select "security" - "add..." - "advanced" - "find now" an then look for the group called "everyone" ! then click OK to the previous windows to confirm the addmition until you get back to the properties window.click "everyone" (the group that you have just added) and then sellect "full control".try it like this, see what happends.oh, if the partition table is fat32, I donnow how to do it :)

in any windows explorer window in the TOOLS menu click "Folder Options" -> VIEW -> and the last one on the list should be "Use simple file sharing..." = Uncheck that!then try again as i've instructed you in my previous postkeep in touch

have a look:

if Request.form("action")="Save" then  CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID")    sql="UPDATE tblCustomer SET CustomerID="' & Request.Form("CustomerID") & "',"       sql=sql & "Last_Name='" & Request.Form("Last_Name") & "',"      sql=sql & "First_Name='" & Request.Form("First_Name") & "',"      sql=sql & "Address1='" & Request.Form("Address1") & "',"      sql=sql & "Address2='" & Request.Form("Address2") & "',"      sql=sql & "Address3='" & Request.Form("Address3") & "',"      sql=sql & "Post_Code='" & Request.Form("Post_Code") & "',"      sql=sql & "Telephone1='" & Request.Form("Telephone1") & "',"      sql=sql & "Telephone2='" & Request.Form("Telephone2") & "',"    WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID "Response.Write("Submitting records has been disabled from this demo")end if
IT IS NORMAL TO SAY THAT !! but it does not mean it !!! oh, man...give it a shot like this:
if Request.form("action")="Save" then  CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID")    sql="UPDATE tblCustomer SET CustomerID="' & Request.Form("CustomerID") & "',"       sql=sql & "Last_Name='" & Request.Form("Last_Name") & "',"      sql=sql & "First_Name='" & Request.Form("First_Name") & "',"      sql=sql & "Address1='" & Request.Form("Address1") & "',"      sql=sql & "Address2='" & Request.Form("Address2") & "',"      sql=sql & "Address3='" & Request.Form("Address3") & "',"      sql=sql & "Post_Code='" & Request.Form("Post_Code") & "',"      sql=sql & "Telephone1='" & Request.Form("Telephone1") & "',"      sql=sql & "Telephone2='" & Request.Form("Telephone2") & "',"    WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID "  Response.Write(" yuppy, we did it !!")else  Response.Write("Submitting records has been disabled from this demo")end if

i replaced the first response.write with the response.write(sql). same result  :)  could my SQL statements be wrong?

They wanted you to post the results of the above staement that way they could see exactly what sql statement is being executed and to see if infact the sql is wrong

do this and then copy and paste whatever is displayed in your browser to a post.

if Request.form("action")="Save" then CustomerID=Request.Form("CustomerID")   sql="UPDATE tblCustomer SET CustomerID="' & Request.Form("CustomerID") & "',"      sql=sql & "Last_Name='" & Request.Form("Last_Name") & "',"     sql=sql & "First_Name='" & Request.Form("First_Name") & "',"     sql=sql & "Address1='" & Request.Form("Address1") & "',"     sql=sql & "Address2='" & Request.Form("Address2") & "',"     sql=sql & "Address3='" & Request.Form("Address3") & "',"     sql=sql & "Post_Code='" & Request.Form("Post_Code") & "',"     sql=sql & "Telephone1='" & Request.Form("Telephone1") & "',"     sql=sql & "Telephone2='" & Request.Form("Telephone2") & "',"   WHERE tblCustomer.[CustomerID]=" & CustomerID " Response.Write(sql) Response.Write(" yuppy, we did it !!")else Response.Write("Submitting records has been disabled from this demo")end if