IE 7 and CSS

Kcarson

some reviews I have read say that it will still not be as standards compliant as Firefox, but will be a huge improvement over IE6...hopefully it provides what it promises our users realize IE is a piece of junk and switch to FireFox.

I have IE7 BETA Preview 2 and it's ugly :)Some of the buttons in the toolbar only show up when I mouse over them.Hopefully it will look better for the public release.I only got IE7 BETA so I could test some code I've been working on that will effect IE7 and IE6 differently.

I have IE7 BETA Preview 2 and it's ugly :)Some of the buttons in the toolbar only show up when I mouse over them.Hopefully it will look better for the public release.I only got IE7 BETA so I could test some code I've been working on that will effect IE7 and IE6 differently.

how did you get a copy??Are you a MSDN Subscriber?? I thought it was only available to MSDN subscribers? By any chance could I get a copy from you???

You're welcome :(I realise it's only in BETA, but I was hoping they'd have the "application/xhtml+xml" added so I could see how pages using that content type looked in IE7.But they still didn't add it yet, it's still trying to download the page :)Hopefully in the next BETA release. Oh well, just as long as the finished product supports "application/xhtml+xml" :)

You're welcome :(I realise it's only in BETA, but I was hoping they'd have the "application/xhtml+xml" added so I could see how pages using that content type looked in IE7.But they still didn't add it yet, it's still trying to download the page :)Hopefully in the next BETA release.  Oh well, just as long as the finished product supports "application/xhtml+xml" :)

it looks like we will have to have WinXp x64 or up to use IE7...that is the impression I got from the like you gave me. (winXpx64,WinServer2003, WinVista)if thats the case...that sucks...I need a bunch of upgrades before I would even think of upgrading to x64 or vista.

I'm not impressed with IE7. The main problem they have not fixed is that each execution of the browser is still an exclusive program instance. This means that if I log in to a site in Window A and then (from the desktop) open Window B, I will not be logged into Window A unless the site is set to rmember passwords and it was pulling from that list. There is a lengthy explanation as to why that main point is so important - its best summed up as Single Sign On - something I cannot not promote to my customers solely because of IE.Look, feel, conformaty, I can get over to to some extent - its the root of the programming logic that bugs me to no end.

I'm not impressed with IE7.  The main problem they have not fixed is that each execution of the browser is still an exclusive program instance.  This means that if I log in to a site in Window A and then (from the desktop) open Window B, I will not be logged into Window A unless the site is set to rmember passwords and it was pulling from that list.  There is a lengthy explanation as to why that main point is so important - its best summed up as Single Sign On - something I cannot not promote to my customers solely because of IE.Look, feel, conformaty, I can get over to to some extent - its the root of the programming logic that bugs me to no end.

I don't have very high expectations for IE7...I am still hoping that IE goes down the toilet so we can finally ignore it...forever....MS gave up on IE for the MAC maybe FireFox will push them out altogether...:)...here's hoping.

it looks like we will have to have WinXp x64 or up to use IE7...that is the impression I got from the like you gave me. (winXpx64,WinServer2003, WinVista)if thats the case...that sucks...I need a bunch of upgrades before I would even think of upgrading to x64 or vista.

Yeah, that annoys me. It says it will work for XP Professional, but no mention about XP Home Edition :)Off Topic: Is anyone else having problems with the JavaScript on here? Other sites I visit I don't have a problem with, just here. Like I can't click on a smilie, or open "fast reply" or do multiple quotes.

I just love how beta this realease is. Have you gone into the Internet Options for it - NAKED.lolI also like how they now refer to a flash plug-in as being Active X. Seems like someone is trying to redefine what Active X was supposed to be.lolI can't say that I'd like IE to go away all together - competition is good - just so long as it is fair. I mean without competitio, look what happens - example IE. So we need it. If for nothing else, to see how NOT to do things.

the IE 7 beta 2 has been out a while now. it has some funktions that FF has and protection against phishing (or how its spelled) as they say, but dunno if it really works :( but it can also crash when you atleast suspect it but thats beta :) my thought are that most users will go too IE7 cause of the protection against phishing that are everydays worrys nowdays and that you can hav multi pages as in FF. But I am skeptical about its funktions and reliability when finished.btw Skemcin, Active X are dissabled when i read an articel in a computor magasine. for safty factors :)but if it was ment for the beta or when finished it didnt say.correct me if i am wrong :D

I already had and deleted my IE7beta2 few days before this topic was posted. I must say I installed it with a trick to avoid the Genuine User Authentication (or whatever it was) because... well.. you probably got the point already :) .From what I saw THAT way there were few things which made IE7 useless-- The unabillity to open links in new tab or window. Clicking with the right mouse button on a link and select "Open in a new window" option didn't do anything :D .- There was no way of using drop-down menus. Clicking on one resulted in a pop-up alert at the top of the browser window.- Eventhough there was the ability to add "Links" as a toolbar, nothing was shown.After I removed it, IE6 became useless, because it opened every link typed in it in IE7. Scince it didn't find IE7 it reverted to another IE6 window which repeated the operation (sounds stupid, right?).I had reinstalled my windows scince then, but that doesn't bother me. I know how/what/when to back-up :) .Because of all of the above, I can't give a fair opinion about IE7, but I must say there was the "WOW!" effect when I first launched it. I also saw a comparrison table for IE7beta2's support for CSS and that of other browsers here.[edit] I just saw the first link in this topic in the MSDN site and realized they already gave my link there as well. It seems quirksmode.org is FAR more popular than I thought :( [/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

After I removed it, IE6 became useless, because it opened every link typed in it in IE7. Scince it didn't find IE7 it reverted to another IE6 window which repeated the operation (sounds stupid, right?).
hhehehe. it reminds me when i failed at a mouse over funktion. :)

If any of you have any suggestions for IE7 (and I bet you do have many), tell them in the IE7 beta 2 newsgroup.After that, I suggest you give a link to your post there, so all the rest of us could vote for your suggestion. Why? Microsft only turns attention to suggestions with the most votes :) .I personally am NOT going to suggest them anything because I know why they won't complete the CSS support in IE7. The article in the top link of this page explains it.... they don't want pages previously optimized for IE6 to suddenly crash due to the completely new specification, so they balance between new features and and compatability.I also can't allow myself to suggest anything else, scince I wan't able to get as detailed preview of IE7 as I hoped (see the story above).

• 1 month later...

I sure hope they dont invent somthing new and cool that is easy but impossible for cross browser that would totaly make web developing hard, the other day i ran my current site in netscape, (looks awesome in ie) and half of my text was invisible! when i deleted a lot of my cool stuff it all appeared. i wish there was more equality!

IE& will have full CSS2 supprot and support for XML.AFAIK there will be no new functionality except tabs, etc and working on standards compliance.If you want to know more about IE7 read the IEBlog