How much roughly?

Intense

I'm looking for someone to design me a website, also with a backend system so I can add/update pages and content.I know a little html and CSS and I probably could attempt something but I just don't have the time, and it is something which needs doing properly.No content would have to be entered - I could do all that as long as the backend system works fine.It will be for an online radio station, so I would like to be able to add things such as recorded sets, videos, artist interviews etc.I've had a look on the net for a few sites which would be similar to what I want and i've found the following:www.urbantingz.com - However i'm not sure if that is sort of "one big forum" as it looks kind of that way...Also how much would I be looking to pay? I have my own domain, webspace etc, just need the design and backend system.Hmmm, any advice/suggestions appreciated.

what are you looking for, a forum, blog, informational web site...or all three?/me is sacrificing a job...google around for 'mambo CMS': a CMS (Content Management System) is a web program for making and managing a web site. It has multiple themes and layouts, and I think you can set up a blog with it. You don't have to know any (or at least very little) HTML or CSS, and it's *free* because it's open-source.Also, for blog-only web site try WordPress, and for a forum try PHPbb, both are free and open-source solutions. They're easy to install, configure, and use.:sigh: when more people figure out about mambo they'll be less jobs for us :)

what are you looking for, a forum, blog, informational web site...or all three?/me is sacrificing a job...google around for 'mambo CMS': a CMS (Content Management System) is a web program for making and managing a web site. It has multiple themes and layouts, and I think you can set up a blog with it. You don't have to know any (or at least very little) HTML or CSS, and it's *free* because it's open-source.Also, for blog-only web site try WordPress, and for a forum try PHPbb, both are free and open-source solutions. They're easy to install, configure, and use.:sigh: when more people figure out about mambo they'll be less jobs for us :)

AWWW man you just made one less job for me.

I've just discovered Joomla and im intending to use that as a content management system, and just get a designer to build a custom theme.Anyone had experience with it before?Also, would many designers be willing to do a custom theme as its not the "everyday site" sort of thing..Hmm, cheers for any replies/response. :)

I've never done a theme for Joomla, but I am making one for my Wordpress blog (eek, don't look yet...it's not done), so I am familier with the concepts.Themeing can be a bit easier than designing everything yourself, depending on the program. I'm sure you can find a designer willing to work with it :)And Joonla does look very good, I'd say you'll get what you're looking for out of it. I don't really have enough time right now for commercial web design work, but I just know some on here do :)

ok joomla must come with some default themes right???PM me one of them so I can see what elements they use, etc.Tell me the details of what you want it to look like (webapges you like are good too), colors, etc.I enjoy making thems/templates...it is probably my fav part of web design.I'd be happy to do it for you.

ok joomla must come with some default themes right???PM me one of them so I can see what elements they use, etc.Tell me the details of what you want it to look like (webapges you like are good too), colors, etc.I enjoy making thems/templates...it is probably my fav part of web design.I'd be happy to do it for you.

Really mate? Id appreciate that.. Obviously i'd sort you out with something..I will install it tonight/tommorow and have a little play and get back to you..Do you have MSN?sniperz@Dzirefm.co.uk is my MSN/EmailThanks

Hi mate,Are you still up for having a go at a custom theme?I have emailed you.Many thanks.

Sorry Intense, after looking at Joomla's templateing system I won't touch it. Systems like these are supposed ot make maintenacne easy and save time...most systems I have worked with make it easy for graphic artist who know HTML to make templates...this system requires extensive knowledge of PHP and you have to know how the source code is working to make an effective tmeplate..I recommend finding a different system.

Cheers mate.Just out of interest - you said making themes etc was syour favourite part of webdesign - What have you made them for before?

Even without seeing the file I think I could guess. The file you gave him was probably a PHP file which contained all the styling in it. What aspnetgy's favourite part is, is designing CSS templates (or I have got the wrong idea?) which is a whole lot easier and more fun to make then looking into a PHP file with all of the functionality AND styling all in one. This forum for example has PHP file and CSS file(s). The PHP files give the funcionality and the CSS file(s): the look. One could easily create a theme without any risk of hurting the functionality.

Even without seeing the file I think I could guess. The file you gave him was probably a PHP file which contained all the styling in it. What aspnetgy's favourite part is, is designing CSS templates (or I have got the wrong idea?) which is a whole lot easier and more fun to make then looking into a PHP file with all of the functionality AND styling all in one. This forum for example has PHP file and CSS file(s). The PHP files give the funcionality and the CSS file(s): the look. One could easily create a theme without any risk of hurting the functionality.

I have made layouts for phpBB, IPB, and I make layouts for my company's CMS (internally built).I enjoy it very much. In all the programs I have designed for use tags like this layout for my IPB message board
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" alink="#000000" vlink="#000000"><body text="#000000" link="#000000" vlink="#000000" alink="#000000" leftmargin="2" topmargin="0" marginwidth="2" marginheight="0"><table width="720" border="1" align="center" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" height="378" bordercolor="#FFFFFF"><tr>  <td width="90%" height="100%" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><% BOARD HEADER %><% NAVIGATION %><% BOARD %><% STATS %>

while the Joomla templates had alot of php coding directly in them (if, for, while statements) and other alot of function calls. That is just not a use friendly template system.Like I said and apply to my software...templates should be primarily HTML and CSS with easy code tags placed for dynamic content.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Joomla for about 5 months now. When it comes to templates, I have found that once you get over the initial shock of how they are set up, it is not really that difficult to edit them.A basic template has the css, php, javascript and xml files, along with the supporting images. The changes that you make to the site template are done in the php and css files. The best way to do it, that I have found, is to backup the entire file, then make your changes. If you break something, upload the good file and start over. And dont do that thing you did that broke that site you made. :)Also, there are dozens of support sites for Joomla. Since it is a spin off from Mambo, there are a lot of Mambo sites that also support Joomla...and vice versa.This post is not intended to damage the market for site designers. I still get work and I usually use either Joomla or a portal for my most recent clients. Faster and easier for me and they seem happy with the results.

I just took a look at your Joomla software. It's awesome! It seems to be very powerful. I could create my site with Joomla entirely but would maybe take more time with that but would be easier.