Site feedback

scott100

Nice to see an original idea for a site, good thinking  :)

Thanks. Any ideas for what links to have on my links site? I currently have the categories News, E-mail services and Webprogramming. Webhosting perhaps? Anything else?http://www.home.no/jvelde/ipod/links/

Thanks. Any ideas for what links to have on my links site? I currently have the categories News, E-mail services and Webprogramming. Webhosting perhaps? Anything else?http://www.home.no/jvelde/ipod/links/

Webhosting, your top 10 sites?I personally think it would be the icing on the cake ifyou press the playbutton and you document.write('<bgsound src="song.mp3"')hit fastforward document.write('<bgsound src="song2.mp3"')etcYou wouldn't get that annoying mediaplayer pop up, just change the background sound, I think that would be wicked, it's an ipod after all give it some music :) plus it wouldn't play music automatically so those without broadband wouldn't suffer, just those whose choose to listen press play.

Jonas, make a blog in your ipod :)(but first fix the layout issues) (not insulting just saying)I've never made a site that was graphic-intensive, because I don't do graphics. I've made one advert for my company that I put on a personal web site but that's it, and it was just an animated banner wtih green text and such on it.I'm horrid with graphics. I'd actually like to learn, though. Maybe W3schools could get some GIMP tutorials?

Webhosting, your top 10 sites?I personally think it would be the icing on the cake ifyou press the playbutton and you document.write('<bgsound src="song.mp3"')hit fastforward document.write('<bgsound src="song2.mp3"')etcYou wouldn't get that annoying mediaplayer pop up, just change the background sound, I think that would be wicked, it's an ipod after all give it some music  :) plus it wouldn't play music automatically so those without broadband wouldn't suffer, just those whose choose to listen press play.

I could do that, but <bgsound> is an IE only tag if my memory serves me right, and while I try to make pages for all browsers, and use Opera myself, I don't see a point. Using IE-only content sucks.But I know that when I add pictures, it will be a gallery Ipod Photo style, that much is clear... :)
Jonas, make a blog in your ipod :D(but first fix the layout issues) (not insulting just saying)I've never made a site that was graphic-intensive, because I don't do graphics. I've made one advert for my company that I put on a personal web site but that's it, and it was just an animated banner wtih green text and such on it.I'm horrid with graphics. I'd actually like to learn, though. Maybe W3schools could get some GIMP tutorials?

I would like to make a blog, with a post system in php or something, but I don't know how to make one, and I don't have a webserver that supports php at the moment. What layout issues do you want me to fix? Feedback is welcome, but you have to say what you're referring to. :(I generally ###### at graphics as well, and gladly would I learn more.

I would like to make a blog, with a post system in php or something, but I don't know how to make one, and I don't have a webserver that supports php at the moment. What layout issues do you want me to fix? Feedback is welcome, but you have to say what you're referring to. :)

well... It seems that as soon as I say things lately they turn out to not be true. Your layout works perfectly, although before there was some text overlapping and such. Looks great now, good job :)as far as blogs go, if it's a just-you sort of thing i might be able to help out. I made some scripts for such things before. I can do it in PHP+MySQL. Just get those and you're ready to go :(

Yeh i think your right, others use embed maybe? it was just an idea...Making a blog is not that difficult, i had a basic one up and running about a week after starting with PHP and MySQL, i thought it was really powerful stuff and was well chuffed, if you ever want a look i have the php scripts, all you would need to do is create the database. :)

I split this topic because it was starting to go very off-topic.And for that PHP/mySQL thing, I would need a password or something, right?

You would password protect the database, then allow your php script to access it and create, delete or update info in it. This is how you could connect to a password protected MySQL database through php.
$dbhost = 'localhost';$dbuser = 'root';$dbpass = 'password';$conn = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die ('Error connecting to mysql');

• 2 weeks later...
:) When you put the script in a seperate window, it works perfectly. And as a coincidence, a friend of mine just designed a blog system. It's very simple to set up. I could ask him to give the code to you?

:) When you put the script in a seperate window, it works perfectly. And as a coincidence, a friend of mine just designed a blog system. It's very simple to set up. I could ask him to give the code to you?

Separate window, what do you mean by that?And thanks, but no thanks, I don't need the blog system just now I think. I don't have php or asp support, and that's why the site is a work in progress, or I'd get it done fast and start doing it over when I get sick of it. :)

nice site, and a good idea. the only thing i coment are the white pixlars thats around the ipod, but its an easy fix :)

nice site, and a good idea. the only thing i coment are the white pixlars thats around the ipod, but its an easy fix  :(

Thanx, and yeah, I'll see if I can't fix that when I get my computer up and running again. For now I have to work on my mom's laptop when working on my site.I got a new host now, with php. So, matt, how about that blog system you were talking about? :) I'm not sure if I have mySQL, but security isn't that important. Could it be done with xml instead?http://home.no.net/jonvel/Man I love php include... :)

Thanx, and yeah, I'll see if I can't fix that when I get my computer up and running again. For now I have to work on my mom's laptop when working on my site.I got a new host now, with php. So, matt, how about that blog system you were talking about? :) I'm not sure if I have mySQL, but security isn't that important. Could it be done with xml instead?http://home.no.net/jonvel/Man I love php include... :(

Harsh situation with the computers, let me know if you need any help from <yasp>Nerd Herd Computer Services </yasp> :)I'll scratch some code together if you want. Do check on MySQL, because it'll make things much easier. But if not, i'm sure i can do something with xml data files. It never hurts to learn new things :Dand yes, PHP include just makes things easy, doesn't it? :)btw, how did you know my name was matt? j/c do you read my blog?

Harsh situation with the computers, let me know if you need any help from <yasp>Nerd Herd Computer Services </yasp> :)I'll scratch some code together if you want. Do check on MySQL, because it'll make things much easier. But if not, i'm sure i can do something with xml data files. It never hurts to learn new things :(and yes, PHP include just makes things easy, doesn't it? :)btw, how did you know my name was matt? j/c do you read my blog?

Heh, I usually don't have computer problems, it's just that my windows installation has been buggy since it came from the store. It just crashed on me recently. I just have to connect it to another comp as a slave drive, try to get what I can out of it, and format it. Should work better afterwards. I'll probably partition it as well. But nice plug though... :)I think I have mySQL.http://home.no.net/jonvel/info.phpIs that right?How I knew your name was matt you ask? I'm omniscient. :D

But nice plug though... :)I think I have mySQL.http://home.no.net/jonvel/info.phpIs that right?How I knew your name was matt you ask? I'm omniscient. :(

indeed you are, sir :)and yes, I see MySQL in there. I'll piece togeter a script tonight. Are there any special features you want? don't expect Wordpress or anything, it'll just be an input/output thing. I'm thinking post title, date entered, and the content, and then another script to output the database.

indeed you are, sir :)and yes, I see MySQL in there. I'll piece togeter a script tonight. Are there any special features you want? don't expect Wordpress or anything, it'll just be an input/output thing. I'm thinking post title, date entered, and the content, and then another script to output the database.

Sounds allright. It should be possible to customise it to my design though, that's a bit important. I'm thinking I'd have a page I could write myself, with Blog Title/short description/link to the full blog entries. The blog entry I'm guessing would work with php query? Something like index.php?entryID=_____ ?

Sounds allright. It should be possible to customise it to my design though, that's a bit important. I'm thinking I'd have a page I could write myself, with Blog Title/short description/link to the full blog entries. The blog entry I'm guessing would work with php query? Something like index.php?entryID=_____ ?

yep, that'd be easy enough :)i'll start working in a few minutes on this. Should take more than a day or two, PM me your E-Mail and I can email you progress reports/questions/and/or files :)