Javascript Of the Day

mpoer

I'm all set with XHTML and CSS, and PHP even, but when it comes to javascript...well... it doesn't go to javascript :) And I don't have the time to just sit and learn a lot about it.However, I understand the concepts of functions and variables as I've used both in PHP and a little in C. So what I was thinking (after reading this) is: could there be a email/newsletter type thing from W3Schools to learn a differant javascript function/feature every day? Almost like one of those "Word of the Day" calanders, except a "Javascript of the Day". I think if it were just one or two things a day I'd learn javascript a lot easier than if i had to sit and study.This is also feasable (I think) to do this for PHP and/or C++, as long as the user has basic understandings of the way the language is structured.What do you guys think?

I'm all set with XHTML and CSS, and PHP even, but when it comes to javascript...well... it doesn't go to javascript :) And I don't have the time to just sit and learn a lot about it.However, I understand the concepts of functions and variables as I've used both in PHP and a little in C. So what I was thinking is: could there be a email/newsletter type thing from W3Schools to learn a differant javascript function/feature every day? Almost like one of those "Word of the Day" calanders, except a "Javascript of the Day". I think if it were just one or two things a day I'd learn javascript a lot easier than if i had to sit and study.This is also feasable (I think) to do this for PHP and/or C++, as long as the user has basic understandings of the way the language is structured.What do you guys think?

good idea , but I think if it becomes true , w3 will send to you a link to w3 for learning :)

Ha. could be. Maybe I'll just force myself to read a page a day for now.Still, it would be nice to get the tip in my inbox every day.

It might be best for w3schools if there's an RSS feed with such tips of the day stuff. You'll get notified AND you'll visit w3schools even more. After all, w3schools' income comces from sponsors who on the other hand want to see traffic :) .

yeah, an RSS feed would work great. A lot of email programs can use RSS feeds as well, so that's just as good as coming to by inbox.I bet it could be very automated, too. Maybe a PHP script that would send out the update javascript.rss file every day with a link to the appropriate page. I bet I could draft this if the project were given a 'go'

some of us have other jobs you know and dont lve at the computer..(well, some people think i do) :)so having an email a day would be too much for most people looking at it for a hobby or something. and we all learn at different speeds what takes one person one day could take someone a week.:)

I also thought about this... Not everyone could actually understand the tip itself so quickly and they should scince this is school, not a script gallery. Not to mention it would be hard for anyone, even a JavaScript "guru" to think of a new usefull script every day. Maybe a weekly tip would be better?Also, why only JavaScript? Wouldn't it be much better if those tips covered all other languages as well?

You know what, that's a great idea! You could subscribe to a different language, and then get mailed a new function every time! I'd love that. :)

Actually what I meant was one feed for all languages. It won't be in a very good favor of w3schools if there are different feeds, because all people would constantly need to come up with something. If all the languages are in one place, everyone could write when they have found something or when there's just something to say. Otherwise, they would be obligated to all of us. I don't know about you, but my conscience doesn't allow me to expect everyone at w3schools to write regularly for each language's feed. Having one feed would allow each expert to write when he/she has time about it without making the feed look outdated :) .

I think I see what you're saying, but, if a user already knows (in my case) PHP pretty well, they won't be wanting PHP tips, and it could become a waste of time for him to check the feed. Suppose the user knows PHP, C, HTML, CSS all very well, and only needs to learn Javascript and ASP. Well, if he gets a PHP tip one day, CSS the next, then an HTML and a C, that four days of tips are useless to that user.I actually like the idea of differant feeds, one per language, Although I do understand that it would be difficult to find a new one every day. I'd settle for one ever three days, I think that is fair, and keeps the user learning. It also gives them the chance to keep up if they don't live on the computer, just like real_illusions said.That said, it'll be a pain in the bum to write a new email every three days for however many languages this is done for. So, before the program starts, we sould create a small team of writers for each language. They could use W3Schools tutorials and examples to create a mini-site at W3Schools.com/whatever that archieves each 'quick-tip' (or whatever it may be called) for each language.Then, in ASP or PHP, create the feed-maker for each language. It would select one quick-tip every three days and add it to the top of the RSS Feed.Eventually quick-tips will run out. At that point, it will re-start and the user will be educated enough the language that he/she will not need them any longer.

RSS: Really Simple Syndicationbasically it is a way for users to read through blogs and news by reading the title and description of an article/post, then clicking the link to read the rest of the article. These descriptions, or 'feeds', are sent to the reader's email client or RSS client.A little more from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)and an example from my blog:blog: http://thinktank.ichyware.net:81/~matthew/wordpress/feed: http://thinktank.ichyware.net:81/~matthew/...ress/?feed=rss2viewing the feed in a browser will just show you a messy text file. However, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera users can easily integrate the feed into their browser. Thunderbird users can as well, and so can most other Email clients.I don't think I'm explaining this well... like I'm over-complicating it. Can someone help?

If w3schools is going to add RSS, having it focus on tips is the best course IMO. I have livebookmarks to several cold fusion and sql feeds as it is. Most of the guys who are publishing them (like I am considering) really just post a learning experience they had that particular day or week - on a particular subject of course. It would take some convincing and pretty hefty commitment to have someone at w3schools implement this. No doubt it would be fascinating, but I'm not sure if its possible right now.

Like I said, a small team per language to make the content. That would divide up the work evenly, but it would still be a large project. I think the end result would be good, though, in that there would be a new, easy way for people to learn new languages.

A small team for each language? But the makers of w3schools.com are already a small team, of about 5 people I think.

true, but maybe forum members would pitch in? I know I'd help with HTML and CSS stuff.

I think for a project like this, we'd need 10 people. Also, I think that we shouldn't do every language available, just major ones--javascript, CSS, ASP, SQL, HTML, PHP, and that sort of thing. Otherwise, doing the... 40+ language tutorials available on W3S would take FOREVER. :)

Hey, don't insult me :) . XSLT and XML are also languages that could go there. And I'm willing to take responsiblity at least for the first month of usefull tips. There are a lot of frequently asked questions which I (and w3schools staff of course) may give answers to :) .

I think for a project like this, we'd need 10 people. Also, I think that we shouldn't do every language available, just major ones--javascript, CSS, ASP, SQL, HTML, PHP, and that sort of thing. Otherwise, doing the... 40+  language tutorials available on W3S would take FOREVER. :)

You are right.It may take very long :) Hmm,I actually don't know anything about PHP or ASP,but I think,that it would be possible create program,what automatically sends that e-mail.First team writes example 30 different tips.One for each day of month.Then,program sends them to users automatically at day.Then team can have much time find new useful tips.Sorry,if this is bad or impossible idea :(

Sorry,if this is bad or impossible idea :)
I think it's a very possible idea. I also think it's a great project that can prove helpful to new and novice web designers and developers :)

I was thinking... I was wrong. RSS feed is not something for w3schools. Nor is a mailing newsletter though.What I think it might be good would be a "Tricks & Tips" section under each language's reference, which would be filled with the tips collected from the forum, and w3schools staff of course.At the home page, there might be a random tip displayed from any language. Newer tips should be with priority over older ones thoguh :) . Though a person might not know the shown language, there might be something "generally usefull" or better yet: something that would enspire the person to learn the shown language.If you would like to see "customized" list of tips, you would have to go into the language's tutorial and select the "Tips & Tricks" link which (as mentioned above) would store all existing tips for the desired language.Also, I think there should be some section for "general" Tips & Tricks such as "In what order should I learn languages?", "History of the web" and/or something else.The downside of this is that you won't get notified for new tips though. Or maybe w3schools would think of some mailing list thing... I don't know, but it would be the same to me anyways. I vsit this tite more that often enough. You might say I'm adicted to it :) .