html

Guest david layne

Guest david layne

Hello there I am new to this web design business.I want to setup a site but I have a few teething problems and even though I did a bit at college I'm still not sure about the Start of a web page.I need to know what is the DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC, and the paths to insert.also do I have to have a Domain Name when entering this? I bought a hosting package 12 months ago but I've never use it as I couldn't activate the FTP to transfer anything Also what's the difference between HTML and XHTML. I think I need alot of help lol So thanks for any constructive replies.

Hello there  I am new to this web design business.I want to setup a site but I have a few teething problems and even though I did a bit at college I'm still not sure about the Start of a web page.I need to know what is the DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC, and thie paths to insert.Do I have to have a Domain Name? And what'sThe difference between HTML and XHTML. thanks for any constructive replies.

Youdo not have to have a domain name...you can sign up for a free host and they usually give you a subdomain.I would recommend using the XHTML 1.0 strict Doctype...it will get you use to writeing standards compliant code.HTML and XHTML are very similar....in a way XHTML is just the next version of HTML. XHTML is more strict than HTML and requires you to follow the rules exactly while HTML lets you get away with I lot of bad habits.Hope this helps you out :)

Hello there  I am new to this web design business.I want to setup a site but I have a few teething problems and even though I did a bit at college I'm still not sure about the Start of a web page.I need to know what is the DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC, and the paths to insert.also do I have to have a Domain Name when entering this? I bought  a hosting package 12 months ago but I've never use it as I couldn't activate the FTP  to transfer anything Also what's the difference between HTML and XHTML.  I think I need alot of help lol So thanks for any constructive replies.

This was a question that plegued me for a long time. The answer: The Doctype or DTD (as most people call it) simply is a set a rules for your browser to follow, it also makes your webpages render in [removed]. This approach is a very good way to start your web building. Webpages load faster to a certain degree also. Vaildate your pages that use a DTD to check if you are using correct coding.Learn more about DTD's here: HTML Doctype Tag Edited by RahXephon