Free domains?

Fire Dragon

technically speaking, you do not NEED a domain name. All a domain name does is make it easier to find your site. Think of it like this:website IP address is the same as saying the street address to your houseand your domain name is the same as saying FireDragon's Houseno matter what, I eventually need your street address to find your house - just like a computer eventually needs to know the IP address of the website you are trying to load. Once you've been to either place, it is easier to refer to it as mydomain.com or "hey, lets go to FireDragon's house for beer and football". Can you imagine having to say "Hey, lets goto the house at 12345 My Street in MySmallTown, FL 98745 for beer and pizza"?thats thats the difference. so, no, if you set up your own web server at home, then you do NOT necessarily have to have a domain name poiting to it.however, here are the two things to consider:a.) unless you pay for a static IP address, the one assigned will eventually change. how are you going to manage that?b.) how are people going to remember your site - do you expect most people to say "dude check out that site at 192.168.0.101, its wicked cool man" - not likely.finally, none of this even considers the risk you take by opening your local home grown network (and everything on it) to the outside world.IF you intend to go through with this, I would hope that it is only for a very select few folks that you simple what to share stuff with - I do this with my home PC just for the sake of testing certain applications before I move them into a live environment.

I know you said no subdomains, but cjb.net is pretty good. it'll give you user.cjb.net and point it where ever you want.

I know you said no subdomains, but cjb.net is pretty good. it'll give you user.cjb.net and point it where ever you want.

I have tried cjb before, but it don't have enought disk space.(Is it 2MB?)I use awardspace now,but it offers only subdomain. :) However, you can use preregistered domain, but like you know,I don't have any.

Registering domains is cheap, and hosting is also inexpensive. I paid about $30 for my domain for 3 years and $40 a year for hosting. In the grand scheme of things, not a lot of money. So why look for something free that you have little control over when you can have full control for very little money?

MICROSOFT HANDS OUT FREE DOMAINS AND HOSTING JUST GOOGLE microsoft office live domains it exists its always free and it rules

This sounds quite interesting but Microsoft requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or later, and my own IE don't even get connect to internet and says modem or something won't work.This causes me headache!So do anyone use this service so I know do I need IE so much?And Smokingman, you are right but I'm under 18 and my parents don't even know what is "domain" or how pay via internet so I can forget it. :)

I have a $30 per year hosting plan and I bought a $2.95 domain. $32.95 per year, and I get 1.2tb of bandwidth, 100gb of monthly data transfer, 3gb of disk space, fantastico, CPanel, unlimited email accounts. It works out for me. :)

MICROSOFT HANDS OUT FREE DOMAINS AND HOSTING JUST GOOGLE microsoft office live domains it exists its always free and it rules

never goto a production environment with a beta product

what do u mean by how mch you need IE? you do need IE if you want to use that service, and IE is freely available at http://www.micosoft.com/windows/ie/default.htmi just wouldnt set it and use it as your default browser thats all, but you should have it if you're a web developer so you can test your site with the different browsers so your site can be compatible for everybody. I suggest you should have FireFox, Opera, and Internet Explorer

lets try to keep this on topic to make sure the original post is able to get the answer.I understand that it seems to be resolved, but there is topic dedicated to broweser discussion.http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2334thanks