Official Show Off Your Site Thread

Chocolate570

It dont like to be resized matey. I would have used a strict doctype myself too.I would also have done it with a CSS layout it would have been easy enough as the layout is simple enough.I would also try and find something else you can add so there is more content on the site as at the min as you say it is basicly just a page linking to your pics gallary and forum.I am no designer but I think it lacks a colour sceme too, there seems to be a bit of red here bit of blue there bit of green for that bit and some grey and white for some others.Also the white on the black contrast is a bit much on the eyes I think.Hope that has gave you some ideas. :)

It dont like to be resized matey. 
I've tried to make it so it works in all size browsers...but i might change it so its a fixed layout.
I would have used a strict doctype myself too.
i dont know strict xhtml, just the way i've gone about things :blink:
I would also have done it with a CSS layout it would have been easy enough as the layout is simple enough.
it is mostly css based...its done with divs, linked to a stylesheet.
I would also try and find something else you can add so there is more content on the site as at the min as you say it is basicly just a page linking to your pics gallary and forum.
its just finding them things to fill the site up with :) i dont know what to put on it yet..theres loads of things, but i want to try and make it unique..and make the site have a purpose rather than a load of random things.
I am no designer but I think it lacks a colour sceme too, there seems to be a bit of red here bit of blue there bit of green for that bit and some grey and white for some others.
i think it goes well together. the links, menu, and writing have a colour scheme of some sort...the rest of it is just there to enhance (or at least try to enhance) the content. i want to try and make things stand out, so they are visible and noticed.
Also the white on the black contrast is a bit much on the eyes I think.
there is no white..the writing is sorta light grey :)
Hope that has gave you some ideas.  :)
its given me a different view thats for sure...not so much a way in ideas to do anything, apart from the layout which i'll do sometime, make it fixed.thanks for your help though, and time to look at it and give feedback. definatly appreciated.:blink:

i dont know strict xhtml, just the way i've gone about things smile.gif
Na I dint mean swich to XHTML strict just HTML strict you only have a few errors and it would be dead easy to do.Just add the strict doc type.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

Then run it through the validator to find the faults.Any your not sure on just ask thats the joys of using these forums if you need some help there is always someone who knows how to help you out.

it is mostly css based...its done with divs, linked to a stylesheet.
So you have, shows how well I looked at your coding. :) I just saw the table for your menu and assumed it was a table layout. :) You can setup your menu as a list this is how menus should be done really as they are just a list of links.Here are some good tutorials on menus.List of diffrent menus
I've tried to make it so it works in all size browsers...but i might change it so its a fixed layout.
I have just took a quick peek at your CSS and yeah I se what you have done. It is cos you have used percentages for you margin in the main div.This is how you should make a 2 col layout that has a fixed width for the left col and liquid design for the main div.2 Col Layout FluidAs for the comment about more content I carnt help ya they thats all down to you matey, I am sure you will think of something that your happy with adding.Hope that has helkped you a little. :)

thanks!i'll see about going strict..might do that today.i try not to use tables for page layout, i only use them if i really have to for some content to make it look neat and tidy...if i need things side by side.i was wondering why you said i didn't usee css based layout..i'd thought it was obvious if you looked at the code :) :)thanks for the links on the liquid layout..i'll see what i can do, and see what works best.as for content, ideas are welcome though :)thanks for the help :blink:

i try not to use tables for page layout, i only use them if i really have to for some content to make it look neat and tidy...if i need things side by side.i was wondering why you said i didn't usee css based layout..i'd thought it was obvious if you looked at the code :) :)

I know like I said it shows just how well I really looked at your coding, I looked seen the table tags for the nav and closed it pretty much I think.Like I say you should setup navs as lists not with tables it works so much better and is semantically correct too.If you make a list and use the display: inline; property for either you ol or your ul it then displays it in a line then just set your margins for your ol or your ul to position them as you wish.There is another way to if you make your list and use the float left property for you list that does the same thing sort of both ways have there advantages and disadvantages not that I can remember them at the min. :)

Site Name: Surreal IllusionsSite Description: My own site for mainly my photos.Site Owner/Developer: MeSite Address: http://www.surrealillusions.co.ukExtra Comments: none at the momentfeedback appreciated.:)

I think your site is good but I find it kind of empty... It could use more images... background of somekind... something like that. If you need help with design there's an awesome site, DeviantArt. Go to browse web apps and check out all the designs. Gives me ideas when I need help.You should either have your page 750px width (for users 800x600) or 100% width. That's how I always design.

I think your site is good but I find it kind of empty... It could use more images... background of somekind... something like that. If you need help with design there's an awesome site, DeviantArt. Go to browse web apps and check out all the designs. Gives me ideas when I need help.You should either have your page 750px width (for users 800x600) or 100% width. That's how I always design.

i did change it since my last reply...so its not a liquid design..its now fixed towards the left.i agree with you on it been empty. i need to fill it up. i dont want too many images on there, or the site wont load quick enough and people will leave.thx for the tip on width, i'll see how it looks.and johneva - i'll look into using a list for the menu.thanks again :)

I'll add my site for the heck of it.Site name:SaxworldDescriptionA site that I work on when I'm boredOwner/developer:MeAdress:http://saxworld.awardspace.com/index.htmlExtra Comments:When it takes more shape i'll buy a domain name.Comments to other people and there sites:Ben3001 I think your site should have percentages for widths(no offense). calvin your site has a real sense of design and really cool features.

i made my decision up and i changed the site and had it redesigned in tablesthe new link is http://medussa3.atspace.comthe w3c may say that tables are for data only and not layouts but in my opinion if the site works and does its job i think its good enough. dont down grade the site because it was designed in layouts please rate the site according to navigation, user friendly etcim also currently working on getting the style sheet to change inside the frame aswell, so that should be not much of a problem

Site Name: fill_in_the_blanksSite Description: Personal siteSite Owner/Developer: My sisters friend Hemis is the owner, I am the developerSite Address: http://www.fillintheblanks.roxr.com/index2.php [temporary]Extra Comments: It's in development, the links don't work and the news posts will show up when the first post has been made, so it's very basic right now but the design is all there for the most part.

You do also have a fair amount of CSS warnings too.But my main dislike is that on 800x600 res it has a horizontal scrollbar.But good work niceone matey. :)

Calvin that site looks pretty similar to your http://www.oneity-eight.com site
Yeah, she wanted something similar to my site with a different layout and different content but she liked the style of my site. But that site is more of a personal blog type thingy, my site is more based on what my friends and I do in terms of content.Thanks for checking them out tho! :)

Something is not working right matey after going on the advertise page I carnt go back to any other page.Parts of your site relys on javascript which is a bad idea as it is said 10% of people have it turned off.I also hate frames for many reasons and you have used iframes in the site.But yeah it is pretty cool looking site mate. :)

Something is not working right matey after going on the advertise page I carnt go back to any other page.Parts of your site relys on javascript which is a bad idea as it is said 10% of people have it turned off.I also hate frames for many reasons and you have used iframes in the site.But yeah it is pretty cool looking site mate.  :)

strange your having the problem with the advertise page, first i have heard of it. it might be because of the host im on, once its finalised then ill think about paying hosting.javascript seemed the most feisable way to achieve what i wanted at the sides of the site. flash was an alternative but slowed the page loading timei think with my site the use of iframes work becuase i prefer sites that have the site in the full window without scrolling down. there are positives and negatives about iframes...

i think with my site the use of iframes work becuase i prefer sites that have the site in the full window without scrolling down. there are positives and negatives about iframes...

Couldn't you have used divs with overflow:scroll?

Couldn't you have used divs with overflow:scroll?

at the start i did have that, and my site has 3 email forms, because my free host didnt allow php, with the ability to send emails, i resulted to iframes. as i say once i have finally finished with the site na dthere is no way to improve i will attempt to play around with it again.

strange your having the problem with the advertise page, first i have heard of it. it might be because of the host im on, once its finalised then ill think about paying hosting.

Infact after looking at it again in a few diffrent browsers the advertise page dont work at all in Firefox middle part is just empty and then you carnt select any other page after.Works fine in IE and Opera.EDITI know why now it is the adblock extension on Firefox that is blocking the whole file that is suppossed to go in the iframe.

Infact after looking at it again in a few diffrent browsers the advertise page dont work at all in Firefox middle part is just empty and then you carnt select any other page after.Works fine in IE and Opera.EDITI know why now it is the adblock extension on Firefox that is blocking the whole file that is suppossed to go in the iframe.

its not that much of a problem i hope not...maybe its because it has the word 'ad' in the url

Na it aint that much of an issue really it only effects people who use Firefox and also have the Adblock extension too so I carnt see it effecting to many people.Even then it will only effect you if you want to go on the advertise page.Yeah it is cos your importing a file with the word advert in it so there is not a lot you can really do about it.

Site Name: MedussaSite Description:Its the first website for a club called Medussa Site Owner/Developer:MoiSite Address: http://medussa3.atspace.comExtra Comments:I'd love to hear from people what they think of this site i've made. Its taken a long time but ive got there in the end. Next step is to buy webspace once ive got a few comments and critiscism and ways to improve.CheersP.s i think it would of been a better topic if you comment on a site first from the ones above and then leave your site.

The bottom of your website to display the copyright it is © .