Official Show Off Your Site Thread

Chocolate570

There are so many reasons why frames are not a good idea here are a few articles that explain why.They do have there uses but 99.9% of the time they are used when there is just no need and there are better ways.Article 1Article 2

a couple of things I disagree with on those sites are that only 2 of like 50 pages my iframe has links two have scroll bars, also no one with disabilitys will ever go to my site it's a little hobby site that me and my friends hang out in. I'm not going to memodel this site so it doen't use frames. But I do agree that I won't ever use them again. and if the mouse is over the frame the mouse wheel works fine!

a couple of things I disagree with on those sites are that only 2 of like 50 pages my iframe has links two have scroll bars

If that is your only reason for using them you can use scrollable divs which work much better.Scrollable div tutorialAs you say for your site none of them issues really matter anyways, but you asked why frames are not a good idea so I gave you some info on why, but yes these reasons are aimed at pro sites.

No.But if you have you menu and header in include files that works well. :)PHP IncludeSSI Includeor you can use CSS to emulate fames.Emulate frames tutorialEDIT and by the look of it your blog entrys too

I think i'll stick with iframes.This is offtopic dwe should talk about sites. BTW yours is very impressive.

Cheers matey. :)

I just made a new site.name:Josh&codingdescription:A portfolio site.url:http://joshandcoding.atspace.com/deleloper:ME myself and Iextra comments:It's kinda a joke. I just make sites for my friends. One of my best friends is a c++ flash and html coder.(i'm a designer he's a developer) We make sites for kids in the neiborhood. So this might end up being our site (it will have a domain name) and we will tell kids to go to the site pick a theme and we will set up the site. We are just hobbyists

I just made a new site.name:Josh&codingdescription:A portfolio site.url:http://joshandcoding.atspace.com/deleloper:ME myself and Iextra comments:It's kinda a joke. I just make sites for my friends. One of my best friends is a c++ flash and html coder.(i'm a designer he's  a developer) We make sites for kids in the neiborhood. So this might end up being our site (it will have a domain name) and we will tell kids to go to the site pick a theme and we will set up the site. We are just hobbyists

Um, is it me, or the only thing the site contains is "Some link"? What kind of portfolio is that? Also, you might wanna consired some softer colors.

Thats the site i've been working on for 2 minutes I forgot to mention that im coding it but not publishing it yet check it in a few days

Why would you post it on here then?

Site Name: iFCode.comSite Description: A small website linked to a larger resource forum, supplying mods for remotely hosted board systemsSite Owner/Developer: MyselfSite Address:http://www.ifcode.comExtra Comments: The site's in need of a refit, but the links to http://blogs.ifcode.com and http://planet.ifcode.com look better, and the forum is a lot more interactive.

I have an idea. I will make the site far better and you can stop attacking me over it ok?

Nobody is attacking you dude.This is a reveiw section though and the site you posted had nothing to reveiw so the replys you got you must have been expecting surly.

Site Name: Nukleus (Not Nukleuz)Site Description: A website for an upcoming music producerSite Owner/Developer: MeSite Address:http://nukleus-uk.atspace.com/Extra Comments:Any comments welcome

Looks good, but I dont like frames, it has a horizontal scroll bar for window smaller than 1024x768 also you have not used a doctype.You have not put values for your alt attribute and have widths and height for your images when there is no need that should be set by its real value not with html, if you want the image smaller crop it in an image editor if it is the right size then there is no need to set the width and height, it does make your coding non-valid and is extra code for no reason.But looks good matey. :)

Thanks. :)I've been looking recently for a decent picture of logitech speakers for ipod, to put as a background on the music page, but have so far been unsuccessful... :|B0009PYWNM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgSomething like that, only they need to be bigger and directly from the front.

Are you still looking for some speakers Jonas?I came across these if your interested...logitech_mm22_8324_raf.jpg

Site Name: The name has nothing to do with the websiteSite Description: A website for a school project. I hope I get a 10 :)Site Owner/Developer: Me :)Site Address: loop44Extra Comments: I will change it on Friday because then is the final examination so no use to keep it afterwards...so from then I will probably make it a blog.

Site Name: The name has nothing to do with the websiteSite Description: A website for a school project. I hope I get a 10 :)Site Owner/Developer: Me  :)Site Address: loop44Extra Comments: I will change it on Friday because then is the final examination so no use to keep it afterwards...so from then I will probably make it a blog.

Very nice work mate. :) I think the header image is too large though.I also prefer fluid designs myself as the make the most of the space given as on my computer it seems very thin. As it is a fixed width though and I see so much of your background, I think making the background with some dual tone diagonal lines would look better I like that look myself.But great work mate well done. :blink:

Are you still looking for some speakers Jonas?I came across these if your interested...logitech_mm22_8324_raf.jpg

Yeah, seen those myself, but they're really too small. They should be in the scale of the ipod on my site. :) The site's been put on hold for quite a while now, because of my exams. But I'll get back to it during the summer I believe.

Very nice work mate.  :blink: I think the header image is too large though.I also prefer fluid designs myself as the make the most of the space given as on my computer it seems very thin. As it is a fixed width though and I see so much of your background, I think making the background with some dual tone diagonal lines would look better I like that look myself.But great work mate well done.  :blink:

Hey thanks mate!It was a quick job so I am pleased. I basically took the CSS from a wordpress theme I'm building now edited it a bit and this turned out.You know that you always should design for the target audience?Well that's exactly what I did, a big picture there, white behind the text...basically what a computing professor would want :) from what our professor told us :) PS I would have done a diagonal background...seems that I forgot about it, too late know anyways because I already handed in the CD.Edit Oh I totally forgot to validate also.1 error in the XHTML 1.0 Transitional! code - this is great without even checking the job out :)
ValidatorErrorTarget: http://www.loop44.com/Please, validate your XML document first!Line 53Column 3The element type "ul" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</ul>".
This is the CSS Validator...what the ###### is wrong with it?? :blink:

Guest kcloukey

Site name: EquitraderSite description: Equitrader is a website that allows users to fully simulate stock trading, free of charge. Users are able to create programs to automate the process. Equitrader allows you to see your experiemental portfolio in real time to be used as an educational and investment strategy tool.Site developer: TopCoderSite address: www.equitrader.comPlease forward any questions or comments to kcloukey@equitrader.com

Hey thanks mate!It was a quick job so I am pleased. I basically took the CSS from a wordpress theme I'm building now edited it a bit and this turned out.You know that you always should design for the target audience?Well that's exactly what I did, a big picture there, white behind the text...basically what a computing professor would want :) from what our professor told us  :) PS I would have done a diagonal background...seems that I forgot about it, too late know anyways because I already handed in the CD.Edit Oh I totally forgot to validate also.1 error in the XHTML 1.0 Transitional! code - this is great without even checking the job out :)This is the CSS Validator...what the ###### is wrong with it??  :blink:

Your XHTML has to be valid before you can validate you CSS. :blink: