begining to XML?

houssam_ballout

XML is a way to store data. I guess you could think of it almost as a text database. For the purposes of this site, it's generally used along with XSL to transform it into something like xhtml to make web pages. However, it has a lot of other uses too. For example the Jabber protocal, used to create several chat clients, transmits it's data in the form of XML.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Amateur
:) Hi All, I have a problem when using selectNodes method of the XMLDOM.Here is the statement used to get the details.set PayrollPpl=leaveDoc.selectNodes("/Leave/Payroll/Person/value/text()") I want to know how many "value" values returned by this statement.If I further describe this, lets think of a item collection which contains more than one element.Then to find out how many Items are there in the collection we can use collection.count. I want to do the same with the PayrollPpl.Can any one help me on this please?
XML is a way to store data. I guess you could think of it almost as a text database. For the purposes of this site, it's generally used along with XSL to transform it into something like xhtml to make web pages. However, it has a lot of other uses too. For example the Jabber protocal, used to create several chat clients, transmits it's data in the form of XML.

Hey all,I have read all the tutorial relating to XML in the w3schools site, but still I need to know how XML could be related to ex. web services, programming languages, so how could it be used?thanks 4 caring

as already mentioned, XML is like a text based database. Think of it like this:HTML is used to display information.XML is used to define information.So, XMl is used for all sort of stuff. The most common use of it these days is in the banking industry. When they need to transport information from one system to another (i.e. banking records or transactions) it easier to do this through XML. It easier becuase it is text base, so no matter what system type is on the other end, there are no compatibility issues. That works great, as opposed to a system using an Oracle database on Windows trying to transfer data to a MySQL database on a Linux box. Two different OS and DBs can't just swipe data and structure - that's where XML jumps in.Now, I've seen it used(or misused) by companies as well. They might design a DB with 10 fields and then realize they need more. So they hijack one field (like this post was by Amatuer - see below) and dump XMl into it which might be structured to store 5 or 6 more fields of data that the current DB didnt have. Lets not get inot the why on that one - but XML can be used in so many ways - the most popular public use of XML is in the form of RSS feeds - that should really be the one that turns the light bulb on over your head regarding how it is used.Hope this helps.
:) Hi All, I have a problem when using selectNodes method of the XMLDOM.Here is the statement used to get the details.set PayrollPpl=leaveDoc.selectNodes("/Leave/Payroll/Person/value/text()")  I want to know how many "value" values returned by this statement.If I further describe this, lets think of a item collection which contains more than one element.Then to find out how many Items are there in the collection we can use collection.count. I want to do the same with the PayrollPpl.Can any one help me on this please?

Amatuer, I can't answer your question at this time, but I would suggest posting this in its own thread - you just hijacked houssam_ballot's post. If people respond to your entry, the original might not get addressed - which is not fair to houssam_ballout.