Some Froum Suggestions

Chaos

HeyJust a few things i think the Admins should consider:Cleraly define the General area. At the moment the General boards described as "Discuss w3schools" although it has become a place for everything that doesnt fit in anywhere else. I would suggest d is created called "General Web Development" and all non w3schools related subjects a moved there and just leave the General board for news and discussion about w3schools. This will give a better structure to the community.Personally i dont like rankings based on Post Count, i find in the later stages of a community it encourages spamming. INstead i would create ranks for members which give them greater beniftis and reward them to members based on how they act, how they help etc. Benifits would come in the form of greater PM capacity, access to special board etc.Chaos

• 1 month later...
Personally i dont like rankings based on Post Count, i find in the later stages of a community it encourages spamming. INstead i would create ranks for members which give them greater beniftis and reward them to members based on how they act, how they help etc. Benifits would come in the form of greater PM capacity, access to special board etc.Chaos

You're right, we have had instances recently with believed post count contests. If post count contests matter to you, I suggest signing up on the Opera forums, spesifically to join in this thread:http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=23427That is not what we want for this forum, you see...

HeyJust a few things i think the Admins should consider:Cleraly define the General area. At the moment the General boards described as "Discuss w3schools" although it has become a place for everything that doesnt fit in anywhere else. I would suggest d is created called "General Web Development" and all non w3schools related subjects a moved there and just leave the General board for news and discussion about w3schools. This will give a better structure to the community.Personally i dont like rankings based on Post Count, i find in the later stages of a community it encourages spamming. INstead i would create ranks for members which give them greater beniftis and reward them to members based on how they act, how they help etc. Benifits would come in the form of greater PM capacity, access to special board etc.Chaos

If anyone's focus is on post count/ranking, then they are here for the wrong reason. A "ranking" is a good measure of a certain level of participation. Without a series of judges and some sort of guideline, there is no way any discussion board will be able to rank a member based onany of the criteria you offer. As soon as I see any member getting caught up in any kind of "posting war" there will be a warning issued. I've already communicated that there will be no tolerance for this behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree, posting to be the "top" is not fair; [a] for kaijim who will need to extend the database size due to a forum filled with spam; for other people who are wanting an answer to a question and find some spam to increase someone's post count instead of an answer;[c] for us moderators who will need to clean up unnessarsary posts to increase post counts.Hopefully that is quite clear and im sure nobody on these forums should have to spam the forums to increase their post count.A while ago someone was trying to make more posts than me because I was top rank. And sure I may not have made as many posts as others' but I have tried to make them more quality and supporting to other members.We could set up a system which awards helpful/useful posts by having some ranks like:~Valued Member~Expert Member...etc etc.Im sure we could talk to kaijim about this.

Cleraly define the General area. At the moment the General boards described as "Discuss w3schools" although it has become a place for everything that doesnt fit in anywhere else. I would suggest d is created called "General Web Development" and all non w3schools related subjects a moved there and just leave the General board for news and discussion about w3schools. This will give a better structure to the community.
Yes you are quite correct, the whole point of the forum though is not for just any old off topic discussions. You have stated people are talking out of the forum topic, therefor bad topics (ones that arent about w3schools) will be locked. :)alzable :)

We could set up a system which awards helpful/useful posts by having some ranks like:~Valued Member~Expert Member...etc etc.
No, we don't want that. As far as I'm concerned, a newbie is just as valuable a member as any. A newbie is simply one who has signed up on the forum recently. On the whole, I don't like the concept of ranking, or hierarchy. You never know who might come and surprise the rest with a good solution to a problem, and that is why we don't need rankings, because it could make some people just ignore those with lower "rank". Those with ~Valued Member status etc. would probably also get PM'ed with questions/problems, and the forum, which is for everyone to see solutions to problems and learn, loses part of its function...

Well, we can't have people spamming with dumb comments on every thread, but we still need incentive to post so that the forum will remain active.

Define "dumb". Better yet, don't. Moderators are capable of handling the various types of post that occur. What ever a "dumb comment" is, it will be handled appropriately. You "incentive" to post is to either learn something new by asking a question or to help someone by providing a solution - what more incentive do you need? As long as you continue to develop web pages and work in this environment, you will continual have a purpose to visit this forum.As a former teacher, my incentive is to help people. I have over 10 years experience as a developer and although I have seen alot of the issues discussed here in one way shape or form, it's still a new application with new tweaks to figure out. Hopefully, the "newbies" will get the answers they need here and stick around and share their expertise as it matures.